The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:56:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is My Steampunk Gift a Good Idea?  (Read 1442 times)
BleedingSparkles
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: November 28, 2012, 03:58:20 pm »

I have a close relative who loves anything Steampunk but is fairly new to it. She has only purchased some corsets so far.

So I had the idea for her Christmas gift of making her a sort of "Starter Kit"

I have been decorating a jigsaw box with a collage of printed timepieces, apothecary tags, old newsprint, Victorian scraps etc and I have some pieces of broken jewellery, brassy looking chains, cameo brooches and the like which I am going to add on. Where I am struggling is what to put in the box.

I do have a plastic gun in process, which I am going to put in, I thought maybe making some lace wristbands with gears or something.

I also wanted to make a lightbulb terrarium, what do I put in it? Soil? Seeds? A cactus? That may be a silly question to some but I know next to nothing about Steampunk I have just been researching endlessly. (Although I very much like a lot of what I have seen  Smiley)

Are there any other ideas for things to put in the box? and as a new Steampunk would you have been pleased to receive a gift like this or is it a terrible idea? Thanks!
MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain

A tall mouse with huge cogs!

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 04:38:09 pm »

All wonderful ideas. Love the idea of a light bulb terrarium. I'd go for something like and air plant. not only are they almost imposible to kill, but they have a tentacle alien like appearance.

You could also instead of attaching the gears to the lace wrist band, use gears as a stencil and lightly spray paint the lace.

Old keys are also nice.
BleedingSparkles
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 04:55:20 pm »

Thanks for replying!

The stencil idea sounds really good actually I may do that instead. As for old keys, I think my mother has some in her craft room so I will dig some out and have a play around  Wink
jcbanner
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 07:43:44 pm »

not sure you need to put anything in the box. the decorated box itself can be the gift, something to collect and keep little curios in.
BleedingSparkles
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:58:06 am »

It was originally just going to be a box then I thought maybe it needs something inside, now it's all down to time really. If I get the box finished with time left for something else I will put something in it, if not then it will just be a box, hopefully she will like it either way Smiley
Hatefly
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 05:04:37 pm »

Put a Dremel in it  Wink

Lace, leather, brass parts, clock movements, old keys, etc.
BleedingSparkles
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 11:37:15 am »

Good idea then with bits and pieces like that she could start making her own things and would probably prefer that.

I am really pleased with how it's coming along so far I can upload pictures when it's finished if people here would be interested in seeing it.
ktara
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 06:22:01 am »

Well, if she doesn't like it I'll take it Smiley

It sounds like a wonderful gift!  I'd love to see it when you're done.

SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 10:56:22 pm »

I'm going with my first thought here....
My second thought was don't say it.
Then my third thought was, go ahead.

So with a vote of 2 to 1, I'll ask.....

Does she suffer from Hysteria?   Grin

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

Delireus
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 06:55:50 am »

Your gift sounds awesome! How thoughtful Smiley

As for the terrarium, some small rocks and moss would work, and it's very easy to take care of. A succulent plant would also be good, as they don't take much to care for I think.

Do post photos of the gift, it sounds lovely!

Home is where the faire is
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 05:29:06 am »

So,my dear B.S.-wait a minute that doesn't good Undecided-anywho,how did it turn out?

Are you still with us? If you are say,a little unsure as to whether you should show it or not,don't be afraid. All sorts of projects in various degrees of completion and technique are shared here. And 99%(that damned bugger 1% Angry) of us gladly show respect and encouragement. Smiley

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Merry Maid of Yarnover
Deck Hand

I just want to make it all...

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 10:03:42 pm »

You could always line the inside of the box with a lovely richly colored velvet and have the jewelry bits nestled in it. It's not too difficult to do with some foam.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: