The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 07:56:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Co2 Connectors, adapters, and the like.  (Read 781 times)
Hatefly
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: November 27, 2012, 09:29:44 pm »

I am in the process of making a scratch built raygun rifle. my design calls for a couple of 12 or 16 grain Co2 cylinders. My issues, and for which I am hoping that some good person may provide assistance for, is locating fittings for said cylinders.

Let me provide a bit of spec and background so you know what kinda of "look" I am going for.

Nearly the whole of the prop is going to be constructed of solid brass parts. I have a small collection of brass cylinders, but I am open to using standard aluminium cylinders. I want the prop to be very sturdy which means I would like everything fitted by either bolts, screws, or ready-threaded parts. I'm not against soldering, but my skill in non-electronic soldering is week at this time.

I am looking for some sort of fittings that I can use to attach a cylinder to some size of brass pipe (I have many sizes), or at least make it look like it is attached while maintaining structural integrity.

Essentially I want to be able to drop the damn thing and not worry about it snapping apart.  Grin

here is a sample shot of the business end of the gun. I hope this looks OK  Huh

Here is a Flickr version in case the Picasa one didn't work...

Direct Link: http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0099009/gp/doephotog/kY80y2

The business end is made of over 30 parts! I didn't think in a million years I would need so many. After that I mapped out how many parts I would need (excluding those in question here) and came up with about 120-140 more. I am sucker for little tiny details Smiley

I am currently working on carving the stock right now and fitting the butt plate, pill box, trigger and guard, etc. I am hoping I should be able to begin oiling the stock this weekend!

Anyways, thanks for the help and advice folks.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:01:54 pm »

I assume these are empty cylinders?  You can cut threads on the neck of the cylinder with a die and screw them into what ever is the same size.  I have done this a few times.  A little tricky getting things lined up perfectly, but very doable. 

Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 12:28:51 am »

Looks great so far and your approach to maintaining quality is admirable Smiley

Are the cylinders threaded already ?  In the uk some types are, others aren't. If they are threaded then, if you can discover their intended use, you should be able to find out what sort of thread is it, bearing in mind that the threads used for gas fitting have several different standards which are often differnt to conventional threaded fasteners.

Obviously if they are a functional part of a pressurised gas system then you will want the proper connector, if not then I would be inclined to get some brass tube which fits over the neck, cut an thread on the, inside  and either solder or epoxy it in place. The protruding thread should allow you to fit it to a male thread fixed at an appropriate point.

It goes without saying that you shouldn't cut or heat any gas cylinder unless you are sure it is empty and vented. Drilling a small relief hole with the cylinder firmly clamped is a sensible precaution.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Hatefly
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 03:13:20 pm »

No, the cylinders are not threaded. That is a very good idea though to try and thread them. I may and try to use some epoxy on them though as the look would almost be the same with the cylinder nipple fed into the pipe. I have also created some tension bracing out of 2mm brass sheet to hold the cylinders in place.

Thanks for the ideas folks! Now I just need find a good spot to put a pressure gauge!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: