The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 03:28:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Call for Roleplayers on NationStates  (Read 5926 times)
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 11:44:43 pm »

Excellent!

Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 01:21:30 am »

Number 5 for me please, if its not yet claimed.

I've just finished with a minecraft map in worldpainter for my little island (the previous versions were lost in upgrades), and I'm planning to use it in the in-game info as my country map. (Number 5 on this map resembles it closely enough, I think, with the exception of a large harbor. But I think I can justify the difference story-wise with 'explosive environmental rearrangement'.)

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 03:55:06 am »

Am also desirous of a small island - might I secede the unnumbered one betwixt 7 and 12?

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 04:11:35 am »

I would like to request number 3, please. I am very happy that more people have agreed to play with us.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 06:04:21 am »

Strongly considering joining in on this...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 04:18:14 pm »

Are there any tips or tricks to actually "steampunk-ifying"* one's Nation?

While I'm trying to react to the issues in a manner consistent with my goal, it is primarily driven by the random arrival of the issues and the options.

(*yes, I know that's not really a word)
Andrew Styles
Gunner

(Aspiring) Airship Captain for Her Majesty's Army

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 05:12:51 pm »

I will make an account! I would also like to claim #3. I will update this post with my country information, etc. Hopefully you all will let me plaay. Sounds fun!

~Andrew

P.S. Good to see you, Bailey and Alexis. Smiley

Edit: I am not the Order of Insurgo. Here is my link. I also moved to the BG reigon. Happy playing!
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=order_of_insurgo
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:22:59 pm by Andrew Styles » Logged

"If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips" - Birgitte Silverbow

Check out my blog! www.musingsoftheteenagemind.wordpress.com
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2012, 05:20:03 pm »

i would take 13 please.

To Fairley B Strange: Use your factbook. You can look at mine for inspiration.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:21:34 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2012, 05:35:27 pm »

i would take 13 please.

Chicar, thanks, I've already started adding random scurrilous bumph deeply reasoned treatises to my Factbook.

I meant more along the lines of: Is there any tips to influencing the seeming randomness of the issues presented, as the issues are often very modern non-SP scenarios e.g. stem-cell research or CCTV cameras not Cavorite R&D or aether-tech.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2012, 05:48:52 pm »

MAP UPDATE:

@Fairley B. Strange: Sure, why not. I'll recolor the area and give it No. 15. << DONE.
@Kit Tyler (The Sultanate of Grifone) - got a preference for a spot on the map?

2.  George Salt (The Republic of Onomatopeony)
3.  Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz (The Holy Empire of The High Tatras)
4.  Augustus Longeye (The Empire of Argia)
5.  Alexis Voltaire (San Royale)
7.  Akumabito (The Glorious Empire of Thiemaa)
8.  Andrew Styles (the Order of Insurgo)
10. Alexander R. Thorne (The Protectorate of Nimmermehr and its Dominions)
13. Chicar (the Shamanocracy of Mexchanitl)
15. Fairley B Strange (Der Heilige Freistadt )

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 06:47:11 pm by akumabito » Logged
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2012, 06:00:26 pm »

Then I take #8! I an currently doing NaNoWriMo, but I should be done on thursday. I then can update my factbook. I'll start brainstorming my history. Anyway, any actions I take will not be of my personality. I'm playing a dystopian, power obsessed religious nation. (I am religious, so so offense intended to religious folks. Tongue) Anyway, sounds like fun!

Oh! And is anyone talented with photoshop/ Gimp? I would ask someone to make a flag for me, or make one myself, but I am not talented in that type of thing. If you would be willing to, PM me, and we shall be allies! (If desired.)

~Andrew

@MWBailey: Please join! It would be a pleasure to have a fellow merc in our wonderful reigon!

Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 06:10:19 pm »

i would take 13 please.

Chicar, thanks, I've already started adding random scurrilous bumph deeply reasoned treatises to my Factbook.

I meant more along the lines of: Is there any tips to influencing the seeming randomness of the issues presented, as the issues are often very modern non-SP scenarios e.g. stem-cell research or CCTV cameras not Cavorite R&D or aether-tech.

I do wish this game was more customizable, for instance the private sector occupation (mine happens to be pizza delivery) I find it a little annoying that you can customize small random stuff like currency unit name, but not other things like this.

Anyway, any actions I take will not be of my personality. I'm playing a dystopian, power obsessed religious nation. (I am religious, so so offense intended to religious folks. Tongue) Anyway, sounds like fun!

Same here, as far as the difference between real personality and persona. I'm trying to strike a balance at 'benevolent but slightly evil dictator', but it's veering rather heavily into dystopia at the moment. Strongly considering having the current political advisor fed to the beastie and growing a better one with the leftover brain tissue....
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2012, 06:16:43 pm »

i would take 13 please.

I do wish this game was more customizable, for instance the private sector occupation (mine happens to be pizza delivery) I find it a little annoying that you can customize small random stuff like currency unit name, but not other things like this.

Anyway, any actions I take will not be of my personality. I'm playing a dystopian, power obsessed religious nation. (I am religious, so so offense intended to religious folks. Tongue) Anyway, sounds like fun!

Same here, as far as the difference between real personality and persona. I'm trying to strike a balance at 'benevolent but slightly evil dictator', but it's veering rather heavily into dystopia at the moment. Strongly considering having the current political advisor fed to the beastie and growing a better one with the leftover brain tissue....
I agree, it would be nice. Mine is basket weaving.  Huh Anyway, I have a great economy, but little political freedom and civil rights. Just the way I like it. Unfortunately, I didn't know that we got titles, so my name is the holy order of order of Insurgo. Kind of wierd, but there's no changing it now. I think I'l keep it though... And I intend to be ruthless if you disagree with me... Grin

oh! Akumabito! How did you make that wonderful map? I would like to make some in my free time.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 06:17:30 pm »

Oh! And is anyone talented with photoshop/ Gimp? I would ask someone to make a flag for me, or make one myself, but I am not talented in that type of thing. If you would be willing to, PM me, and we shall be allies! (If desired.)

I'll be more than happy to make a flag for you. Just let me know what you have in mind and I'll cook something up for you.. Smiley
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2012, 06:22:23 pm »

Aku; you're a lifesaver Cheesy
Would it be okay if I take your map and play with it? I want to cut out island 4, blow it up and use the outline to plan cities etc.. If you've also a scale, that would be awesome Smiley
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2012, 06:34:17 pm »

i would take 13 please.

I agree, it would be nice. Mine is basket weaving.  Huh Anyway, I have a great economy, but little political freedom and civil rights. Just the way I like it. Unfortunately, I didn't know that we got titles, so my name is the holy order of order of Insurgo. Kind of wierd, but there's no changing it now. I think I'l keep it though... And I intend to be ruthless if you disagree with me... Grin

oh! Akumabito! How did you make that wonderful map? I would like to make some in my free time.

Everyone starts out with a randomized country. My main industry is IT. I take that to mean Babbage Machinery.. Grin It is of little consequence anyhow. The daily issues are presented in a seemingly random order. There are over 300 issues. If you play long enough, the same ones will get recycled. Some issues have virtually no real impact whatsoever, others are HUGE. For example, I just totally killed my public transportation system. 13% of my governm,ent's budget was going there. Now it's 0%.I am sure the environment will suffer slightly, but at the benefit of other government priorities..

It appears the Absolution NS Tracker is down at the moment. I know they were adding a bunch of new functions, so they're prbably down temporarily for the big update. I suggest registering your nation there once it's back up. It gives you a few more options to control, plus a ton more informaiton such as exchange rates, and a breakdown of military budget (and the options of setting reserves, instituting a draft, etc.)

Although the game itself is pretty limited in gameplay options, the fun begins when we start adding information of our own and start a RP universe. I can foresee border tensions between 10 and 2. 9 doesn't look to be too happy to be land locked, One of 12's islands hah just secceded to become 15. Perchance 4 and 5 will be at eachother's throats for fishing rights. Lets not forget the drug cartels smuggling their wares between 7 and 13. 11 and 3 may just have signed a treaty proclaiming the water between them a marine national park, upsetting 2 because they claim the right to whale in the area.. Who knows? We can make all sorts of crazy stuff up..

By the way, making the map was super easy. Lie, three minute easy. In photoshop, select a standard black/white color palet, then render clouds. Fiddle around with the contrast a little, then go Artistic > Cutout. Fiddle around with the setings there and boom, instant map. Just add colors and numers for the country, and add a stroke for a little more definition.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2012, 06:42:43 pm »

Aku; you're a lifesaver Cheesy
Would it be okay if I take your map and play with it? I want to cut out island 4, blow it up and use the outline to plan cities etc.. If you've also a scale, that would be awesome Smiley
~Longeye~

Use any scale you like.. it's not very realistic anyhow - new countries start out with 5 million people.. but then there's countries like mine that have been around for a few years with 4 billion and counting.. so yeah.. just use whatever works for you.. Smiley

Linky: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/akumabito/nation4.jpg

Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2012, 06:46:00 pm »

Thank you very much! To work I go Smiley
This is more fun that I thought it would be!
~Longeye~
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2012, 07:22:44 pm »

What website should we rp on? The ns tracker or nation states?
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2012, 07:42:29 pm »

Let's stick to NationStates for the time being. I can't get the Absolution Tracker to work today for some reason. We'll include it when it's back up and running.. The Regional Message Board isn't the best way to communicate though. It only shows the last 10 messages.

We could:
Keep the RP restricted to this thread here on Brass Goggles.
Do the RP on the Regional Msssage Board(you'll just have to check the older messages from time to time)
Open a free account with a free forum software provider.
Ask the good mods if we can have a subforum here on BG

any thoughts what would work best?
Alexander R. Thorne
Deck Hand

Professor of Reanimation, Miskatonic University

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2012, 07:53:24 pm »

Let's stick to NationStates for the time being. I can't get the Absolution Tracker to work today for some reason. We'll include it when it's back up and running.. The Regional Message Board isn't the best way to communicate though. It only shows the last 10 messages.

We could:
Keep the RP restricted to this thread here on Brass Goggles.
Do the RP on the Regional Msssage Board(you'll just have to check the older messages from time to time)
Open a free account with a free forum software provider.
Ask the good mods if we can have a subforum here on BG

any thoughts what would work best?

I think either using the BG forums or the Regional message board would be the safest bet.
I don't think I would mind checking though the NS message board, but I think the BG forums would be more effective, though. If only for keeping track of detailed conversations.

What exactly should the RPing entail, btw?
I already started editing my factbook (with some politics and such), but will be be passing joint resolutions? forming defense/economic alliances? going to war?

"Once upon a time, in some out of the way corner of that universe which is dispersed into numberless twinkling solar systems, there was a star upon which clever beasts invented knowing. That was the most arrogant and mendacious minute of 'world history,' but nevertheless, it was only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths, the star cooled and congealed, and the clever beasts had to die. One might invent such a fable, and yet he still would not have adequately illustrated how miserable, how shadowy and transient, how aimless and arbitrary the human intellect looks within nature. There were eternities during which it did not exist. And when it is all over with the human intellect, nothing will have happened." - Friedrich Nietzsche
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 08:11:08 pm »

Started a map of my own region:

Showcasing Thiemaa's Rapid Transportation System connecting all major cities. Only population centers with 5 million or more inhabitants are shown on the map for clarity's sake. Total population in the hubs shown is about 1 billion people, or a quarter of the nation's population. Cities with populations between 1 and 5 million people make up a further quarter of the population, so half the nation has direct access to high-speed transport across the nation.

Link: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/akumabito/theimaamap2.jpg
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2012, 08:16:56 pm »

Can I also have a blown up reigin? I would like to plan cities and mybarmy bases... Cheesy

Also, lets have our own sub forums here on BG for Rzp. I might wantbto start one of my own later
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:19:00 pm by Andrew Styles » Logged
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2012, 08:43:25 pm »

Here ya go!

Linky: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/akumabito/nation8.jpg

Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2012, 08:54:09 pm »

I'll say it now; it's not likely you'll get a sub-forum. There's a chance, but you'd have to make a case to Sprocket and Proteus for that one! I'd suggest keeping the RP to here, but I'm a little bias Wink
~Longeye~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: