The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 04:44:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prop Bomb  (Read 5174 times)
5paz
Gunner
United States United States

« on: November 05, 2012, 08:39:09 am »

So I planning to make a prop bomb as the title states.

That is the bomb I am planning to make. What I have planned thus far is to use PVC pipe for the main body and tail pipe then wrap it in plastic card so I can get some rivets and paint it easier. Just two hiccups at the moment that I need some advice on. What should I use for the front and back of the can and any idea how to construct the fin? Also welcome to an easier/better way to construct this thing as I am not very crafty at the best of the times. Thanks!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:49:15 am by 5paz » Logged
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:58:00 am »

Well, if it was me I would make the whole thing out of metal, but thats just because I have a metal shop. I'm guessing you don't.

So, for the front, and probably also the back your looking for a PVC part called a bushing, Its like a reducer but fits inside a pipe and is flat rather than fitting on the outside and tapering to a smaller diameter. They have them in both threaded and slip varieties. I have no idea what scale your making this thing but you should be able to find one in any size. If you need to you can combine them, say use a 4'' to 2" bushing and then place a 2" to 1" inside that.

You can even recess the bushing if you want my sanding/grinding off the rim that normal prevents you from pushing it past the end of the pipe.  You then insert a piece of small diameter PVC into the bushing to form your detonator.  You probably want to do the same thing with the back end, just use a longer piece to form your tail stem.

This is an example of a PVC bushing with a threaded inner part. You can easily grind off the octagonal rim to make it  flush or even recessed with your pipe.

You can of course use regular PVC rounded PVC caps for a rounded bomb look but I like the flat face look of your picture better, its a little more interesting and less cliche'

Now for your fins, Thats easy. Make a pattern with card stock and then use that to cut them out from whatever material you want. Glue/melt it together.

Make sure to post pics of what you end up doing and feel free to ask any other questions.

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 01:10:33 pm »

I second pretty much everything from Shadow of The Tower.

Goto to a hardware store and start putting pipe fittings together.  They give you the basic shape and then it is mostly a matter of removing excess material to get the look you want.

Good luck.  Looking forward to seeing how it works.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: