The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:03:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to draw gears with Illustrator  (Read 17779 times)
Cairn
« on: February 23, 2007, 10:44:49 pm »

Not sure if this is the right place in the forum, but it is partially in response to this thread.

A while ago, I was looking for a tutorial for drawing gears, cogs, sprockets &c. in illustrator. I came across the following tutorials that others here might find helpful:

1. Simple Gears using Pathfinder and the Star tool: This tutorial made it really easy to draw 2D gears. I was successful drawing gears with this tutorial and then making them 3D with the next tutorial.

2. Digital Illustration Tutorial | Drawing Gears: I had trouble getting the gear teeth to have good, even geometry with this tutorial, but once I had a 2D gear, this tutorial made it really easy to make it 3D.

Hope these help someone! If you don't happen to have illustrator, may I recommend that you give Inkscape a try? It's free, cross-platform and open-source.
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 10:47:07 pm »

Grin
Thanks Cairn!
Can't wait to dive into these.

"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 02:24:24 am »

Nice tutorials-thanks!  I'm having a bit of trouble with step 4 of the first one, though.  I'm using Inkscape (which I'm very new to), and can't quite figure out how to translate the Illustrator instructions into those applicable to its open-source counterpart.  I get everything except for the whole "Pathfinder" part.  Any tips?

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
Benza
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 02:20:13 pm »

2. Digital Illustration Tutorial | Drawing Gears: I had trouble getting the gear teeth to have good, even geometry with this tutorial, but once I had a 2D gear, this tutorial made it really easy to make it 3D.

Oh jesus, I just had flashbacks to Graphics from highschool...
ClockworkDragonfly
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 11:06:50 pm »

Oohh... I had never seen that second one before.. VERY handy indeed.
Puppet Master
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 01:48:18 am »

This is very quite intriqing, I have to try this out when I get onto illustator again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: