The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 06:57:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronodevice  (Read 1299 times)
michaelbch
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: November 02, 2012, 06:41:36 pm »

[This is a re-post from the Tactile main page - I figured it fitted here better]

Urgently looking for Victorian/Steampunk prop for a student video shoot - some budget available - for weekends of 10-11 and 17-18 November 2012. Needs to be a chronodevice of some kind, which can be worn on one's person. In the story it plays a slowing musical tune till time freezes, trapping the wearer in stasis. Anyone any ideas, or anyone knows of a prop maker who could build something within a week?

I'm based in London.

If this is in the wrong forum, please accept my apologies. I'll gladly post it where it belongs if you give me a direction.
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 07:58:41 pm »

Like one of these? 

Not surprisingly, items like that are rather expensive, not to mention rare.  Most "music box" pocket watches didn't actually have a caseback display anyway, so realistically you can use pretty much any large pocketwatch and have them pretend (and add in the music later).  Use a hunter style watch (the kind with the pop-open lid) and sync it to the opening of the lid.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:49:32 pm »

Yup — sounds to me like all you need is a bog-standard hunter-case pocket watch and a sound editor who knows what he's doing. Even one of those cheap Chinese qqqqq— um, qqqqqqq— *ahem* qqqqQUARTZ (shudder) mechanisms would do.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: