The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 03:32:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beautiful Automobile made of Wood  (Read 4543 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 07:50:59 am »

Phtaghn! Necromancing ritual complete!

Here's another wooden car for the collection.  Toyota's Setsuna concept car is meant to be more of a family heirloom, showcasing traditional Japanese woodwoking techniques

More on BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160406-can-a-car-be-a-family-heirloom

"It is a vehicle built to last not for five years, or even 50, but for generations. Even the car’s name, which means “a moment” or "an instant" in Japanese, alludes to its aspirations to be something more than just the flavor of the week. To drive home this Zen-like point, the dashboard (an actual board, of course) features a century meter that monitors not only minutes and hours, but the years of ownership — in essence, chronicling the collective moments enjoyed between car and owner."

"The roadster’s superb craftsmanship is reflected in its stout Japanese birch frame. Precision-cut pieces were assembled using classic Japanese joinery techniques called okuri ari and kusabi, which connect pieces not with nails or screws, but with exquisite housed-dovetail and blind double-wedged mortise-and-tenon joints. The 86 exterior pieces were hand-fashioned from Japanese cedar, and the seats frames, wrapped in simple leather swaths, are crafted of polished castor aralia wood, a species typically used for traditional Japanese tableware. The result is something decidedly more nautical than automotive; the Setsuna's gentle curves and high belt line evoke the sensual style and sumptuous patina of a classic 1940s Chris-Craft motor yacht."

Cheers,

J. Wilhelm
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:01:25 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 12:28:26 pm »

Gentle curves and a high belt line evoke patina?!  What?

It looks like a render to me.
It would have been nice to showcase some of those woodcraft techniques instead of hiding them, it would lend more WOW! If it was actually seen. Plus, it seems rather 'blah' from the outside as all is too flat.

Thoughts?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2016, 03:04:11 am »

I think it would look bitchin' in Douglas fir, Sitka spruce and Eastern red, Western red and Northern white cedars.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 05:35:41 am »

Gentle curves and a high belt line evoke patina?!  What?

It looks like a render to me.
It would have been nice to showcase some of those woodcraft techniques instead of hiding them, it would lend more WOW! If it was actually seen. Plus, it seems rather 'blah' from the outside as all is too flat.

Thoughts?

Then it's one hell of a render....

Style notwithstanding, it does look a bit like a boat, does it not? The frame looks a lot like the spars and ribs of a ship's hull. I think that was the intention.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:39:09 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 05:50:50 am »

I think it would look bitchin' in Douglas fir, Sitka spruce and Eastern red, Western red and Northern white cedars.

Yah. It needs a bit of colour and marine spar varnish, doesn't it?  If they're going to say that that is has the "patina of a 1940s Chris Craft boat" then a bit more of colour would suit, yes?

But you can clearly see what the designers were aiming at here...

Chris Craft V12, BPM engines, Antique Race Boats with Mindy

'49 Chris Craft Deluxe Runabout, Folsom Lake 2009.MOD
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:56:41 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2016, 03:00:30 am »

Ok, it still looks like a render until you see the close up..and thanks! for that. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: