The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 12:17:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steel Birds of Paradise (sign-up & OOC thread)  (Read 21742 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2013, 02:03:33 am »

*The E-6b navigation wheel, as well as  the off-brand knock-offs, dates from about the miod-1930s, and is still in common use today, especially for beginner pilots.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2013, 04:47:14 pm »

Two oops!es:
1. Sorry for the double post.

2. Forgot to clarify that the Hawaii/Guam routes were not the only good or acceptable choices for the game; merely that they would be optimum for refueling and for having escape/repair facilities on land relatively nearby.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2013, 08:51:24 pm »

Sorry - been busy today... Had a design job to complete and some extra grandbaby siitting!

Still thinking of a response as the directions suggest that the PacRefStat is much further north than I had imagined and probably further east if flying via Pearl Harbour is a good option. Added to that I have a poor understanding of Hawaiian politics at the time - I guess it was a lot more independant, although the presence of the US bases there must have had an influence on the viability and independance of the PacRefStation?

Thinking of introducing an Aussie bar on the station called The Billabong - any objections?

Capt. Reynolds

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2013, 09:23:58 pm »

Sounds good to me.  as far as I know the station has 2 hotels and a dance hall along with an open air market and possibly a fish market.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2013, 10:04:52 pm »

Maybe I put it too far north. I'm not trying to take over or anything.

The Aussie bar seems perfectly reasonable to me; I'd imagine there's all sorts of gin-joints and grog-shops dotted all over the place, a few both high-end and low-dive restaurants, probably a small grocer's as well. I was going to have Al and Sabre get something with chopsticks at a restaurant and then take in a movie at the grand hotel, maybe they have alternating cinemas and floor shows monthly or something like that....
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:50:27 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2013, 10:51:25 pm »

Stella, that's a lovely vision, more like a mid oceanic village! I have to confess to a giggle over the 'possibly' a fish market because on first thoughts you could imagine everybody casting a line over the side and pulling fish out as easy as anything. However, second thoughts tell you it is mid ocean and many of the preferred variety are in shallower water miles away or several miles down!! I guess space is limited so I could see a street market like a souq or maybe floating markets like Bankok?

I'll give the Billabong some thought...

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #181 on: January 19, 2013, 01:52:39 am »

Stella, that's a lovely vision, more like a mid oceanic village! I have to confess to a giggle over the 'possibly' a fish market because on first thoughts you could imagine everybody casting a line over the side and pulling fish out as easy as anything. However, second thoughts tell you it is mid ocean and many of the preferred variety are in shallower water miles away or several miles down!! I guess space is limited so I could see a street market like a souq or maybe floating markets like Bankok?

I'll give the Billabong some thought...

Aarghh, hit the post button early by mistake...

If the station's anchored in place (almost a given due to logistical considerations on the part of several nations and corporations), A floating market with sampans, native outriggers, euro-american ships and boats, etc. would almost have to have sprung up, in my view, and would probably deal in all sorts of stuff, including under-the-table contraband...

It it's self-propelled and moves around (probably very slowly), maybe it might have markets at various ports of call that coincide with its arrival and term of stay.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 02:05:01 am by MWBailey » Logged
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2013, 11:35:25 am »

I had considered the nature of the floating station quite a bit, because how it was done does figure in its limitations and how they impact the story. I assume that it stays more or less where it is put which means it is anchored to the sea bed. My suggestion would be that the most practical way for that to happen is that it is attached to a large atoll that is below the surface (to prevent it having any national claim to it as 'land'). The main sections comprising the first storage tanks, airstrip and administration buildings plus the main dock would have been what came first and was anchored directly to the submerged atoll. Then, later, smaller (but still sizeable) sections were attached via hinged bridges and wire springs* that allow vertical movement caused by ocean swell but maintain lateral positioning. That way each group of sections create canals between them and the 'mainland' and the bridges create roadways, communications and sub communities. It could probably grow ad infinitum as long as the main moorings held up! These canals, as well as being a practical solution to engineering something as massive as the station seems to be, provides an interesting visual image, an opportunity to use small boats to navigate across the station and somwhere for various floating markets to be situated that also provides some protection from ocean swell (though they are probably very attractive to ocean scavengers - like sharks...)

*springs - don't know what else to call them, but to avoid confusion for the non nautical people out there, a spring is a rope or hawser led from the bow of a boat to a mooring towards the stern of the boat on a quay side, say, used with another rope from the stern of the boat, taken forward to the quay in the directions of the boats bows. These, together with breast ropes which run straight ashore, allow the boat to rise up and down with the tide but maintain a position fore and aft relative to the quay. On bigger boats the springs would be attached more amidships but the principle is the same. On the station, the springs would be big steel hawsers owing more to suspension bridge practice than anything else.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2013, 06:42:28 pm »

Sorry, antivirus renewal and a few other issues were getting in the way. All better now (we hope!).

I wonder if there should be troops on the big transport, or it is it just a "gig" for the ambassador?
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2013, 06:54:17 pm »

I think troops could work.  They would be looking for our cliant and it is possable they think we are protecting him and try and take us down. Also Amir can either be tucked in to the base or to a small bunk on Donna's ship.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:09:32 pm by Stella Gaslight » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2013, 11:22:31 pm »

I'd imagine alarms are ringing all over the station, and Security cops are rushing around trying to keep people from getting in the invaders' way, while simultaneously trying to set up a defensive cordon of some kind to keep them back.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2013, 10:36:14 am »

I think I need help at this point! To re-cap - the OP indicated that the anti-grav airship was designed by a mad scientist and that has now been clarified as being funded by Germany. A Megacorporation has contracted with the Steel Birds to capture the anti-grav ship and Capt Wallace's transmissions indicate that it might be hidden in Namu Atoll. He received anti aircraft fire at the north end of the island, ie to the north west. This agrees with MWB's description of the work area, but I don't understand if it was the Japanese that fired on his aircraft or the people manning the anti-grav ship or are they now both one and the same? I kind of assumed the the Japanese were also looking for the anti-grav ship but had not yet taken it, hence the presence of the Nippon aircraft carrier and the 'diplomatic' mission to the PacRefStat. Who is firing at who impacts quite heavily on my story arc so I would appreciate clarification please.

It seems to me that if the Japanese have not discovered the anti-grav ship and station but are on the island developing a minor aircraft landing strip as part of their colonisation of the Marshalls, then my character or Capt. Wallace could witness the utter destruction of the Nippon aircraft carrier thus demonstrating the awesome power of the device the Steel Birds have been contracted to steal. The anti-grav ship has remained undetected due to its stealth characteristics but it has to be discovered soon by the Japanese so their destruction is assured. If on the other hand the Japanese presence is in fact in control of the anti-grav ship, having been 'gifted' it by the Germans then we clearly have a much more political and probably difficult task as the Steel Birds now have to steal it from a heavily armed, very large professional army, navy and air force instead of just a mad scientists and his engineers / minders...

I need to freeze my story arc until Capt. Wallace replies and I get a sighting, so I will buzz round the south east corner for a bit until something happens there or I have to abandon the search and return for fuel.

Advice required please.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:04:37 pm by Angus A Fitziron » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2013, 05:31:08 pm »

German angle: My thought was that, since the man in the hotel was German, and Namu was originally (in the sense of the people from Europe who took it up as a business speculation) a commercial holding of a German firm, the contractor building the ship would probably be German, maybe already in cahoots with if not actually funded by the Japanese; probably a politically separatist or expatriate German team, given the political factors of the time (might hurt relations with Germany to go around threatening its scientists and grabbing its projects).
-----
Japanese in the Marshalls:The Japanese were all over the South Pacific at the time that the story takes place (1938 or so), and would have noticed something going on at Namu; even if the British Navy and "colonial" forces were swarming over the Marshalls, the Japanese would have overflown Namu or encountered the Island by ship at some time or other and noticed something going on. I had actually gotten the impression, somehow, thatthe Japanese were the ultimate customers of the firm or scientific team who are building the craft.  If the engineer were planning to have it stolen, the Japanese at some point would have twigged to his scheme and decided to move in and take possession of the Project, since it would have been nominally in the area they would try to claim as their jurisdiction.

That's admittedly a bit iffy, though, since  it was/is actually a lot closer to Australia than Japan, and thus more likely British territory or close enough to same to make it risky for a Japanese force to move in - but given Japan's military's belligerence and their government's expansionist policies at the time, not to mention the escalating hostilities between Britain and Germany, and the developing relations between Germany and Japan, and not least the Japanese invasion of China in 1937 (The air battle between Japanese and Chinese fighters I alluded to in Al's recollection actually happened, although I took AU literary license and moved it south quite a bit, and changed which fighters the Japanese used)... Given those factors, the Japanese moving in is less unlikely. Maybe even likely, under the circumstances.

The carrier would be necessary for air power in the area; island-hopping sounds great, but consider that they'd probably have to attack and take over locally-held airfields on the way to do it, which would require the Navy to get involved (have to haul the manpower, which would be around a company per Island at least, probably a plane per company), so why not just use a carrier to do double duty and go relatively quietly?

As I posted, the Project's propulsive engines had yet to be installed, but that's a minor point and easily altered.

the carrier being the demonstrative target of the Project vessel is a neat idea. I like that.

Pardon the novella post
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:40:39 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2013, 08:36:47 pm »

OK, that's clear - as I say, the history of the area is new to me but Wiki says that the Marshalls were under Japanese control by 1937 as part of their expansionism, I think the Brits were mainly down in Singapore and Hong Kong though they paid slight attention to some of the islands - some loose claims were made but not enforced when US made them their territories (I think). So, it is quite likely that Japan could easily raise a presence on Namu Atoll. I think it was the Megacorp who wanted to steal the project as it would impact adversely on Megacorps own shipping business (they probably have an interest in PacRefStat) and they still control supply of the anti-grav material that the ship needs to function, so the storyline still has a control on absolute Japanese power in the area.

The project destroying the Nipponese carrier makes sense if they are enemies and a threat. If they are on the same side it seems pointless destroying it when there is practically nobody there to witness it. It makes the safety of the Empire and the downed Heinkel very precarious, particularly if it is thought that the latter has film of the prototype. The film could be critical to the storyline.

Still frozen waiting for a sign...

Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

Why do living things need feelings?

« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2013, 01:21:35 am »

Alright, things are going well again, and I'm fairly active once more.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #190 on: January 24, 2013, 04:59:30 am »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the Japanese, while persisting in using composition-built, kite-like planes, including parasol-types and biplanes on carriers (not at all uncommon, it was carrier-launched biplanes from the carrier HMS Ark Royal that played a major role in finding and sinking the German Bismarck, after all), were in fact in the process of switching over to all- or mostly-metal monoplanes by about 1937 or so.

The first "modern" Japanese carrier-based planes were parasol (single overhead) winged machines, but the very first carrier-based and -launched planes in Japanese service were biplanes, from around 1927 or thereabouts. After about 1935, the wood-and-paper biplanes were mostly superseded by metal and combination metal-and-composition construction ships. The Zero was the most successful carrier-launched plane in the Japanese military pre 1944, but it was by no means the first ever.

I mention the above since the Zero (which seems to be the one Amir is alluding to, it being anecdotally famous for being easy to blast to pieces -not entirely true, of course, but the stories do persist) did not enter military service until 1940, and did not actually fly at all until 1939.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2013, 12:30:44 pm »

I've PM'd Cpt. Wallace but he has not been on the forum for a wee while and I can't really progress the story until he returns. I do have a few urgent and important things to do IRL for next few days so it suits me to leave the Namu Atoll storyline frozen. I am loath to disengage from the search without rescuing Eric Sorenson, but if I land and search but don't find him then it creates an awkward plot hole to dig out of later.
Unless someone knows different...

Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #192 on: January 25, 2013, 02:56:09 am »

Good catch, spotting the Zero reference. I've read up on WWII era aircraft (And, these being just pre-war planes, it still seemed fitting) and found that Japanese Zeros were notorious for "catching fire at the slightest damage" and thought it would've improved durability since pre-war times, thus, I concluded that the Japanese planes of before would've gone down with a single high caliber shot.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #193 on: January 28, 2013, 09:58:31 pm »

Not just a ninja. Character sheet up in a few hours. She's originally one of my Steam London Between the Threads characters, and she's exceedingly hard to kill.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2013, 06:16:33 am »

Gah, here I go again, sorry.

I feel I should point out that while it is probably possible for Amir to have run across Meri previously somewhere else, it is not possible for him to have done so on the station. (she just got there a short while ago, after all). Bear in mind that she is in fact a vampire, and would be still as young as she had been whenever Amir encountered her before, even if he had done so in the late 1800s (humanly impossible though such might be).

My intention with her is to create a recurring villain, or perhaps a recurring antiheroine. I'll have her sheet up in a bit.
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2013, 06:34:03 am »

I need to read the OOC more. That said, Amir would not have met many Oriental folk before joining up with the birds, being Arabic.

As it were, until his trauma scars, Amir's going to be easier to hurt for awhile, and will have to keep his scars covered when not undercover, or at least until he can afford to break his cover. When that happens, Willa will be absolutely apoplectic, since Amir's taken advantage of her before.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #196 on: January 30, 2013, 06:48:22 am »

Please pardon this third post.

Full Name- Merovingia Harper-Chen

Age-Barely twenty-two  when turned; was turned March 1861.

Gender-Female

Nationality- Originally Eurasian (Born in a minor British diplomatic outpost in Manchuria); Has been part of several nationalities, Most recently Japanese.

Character History- Merovingia (variably Meri, Vin, Vini, Vinga, Ia, or Mei, among other diminutives) was born to Sir James Harper, a minor British diplomat and peer of the realm, and May Li Chen, the daughter of a local chieftain, in a now mostly forgotten village in Manchuria's hinterland in 1849; the politics of the time were complicated, especially considering that Manchuria was being contested by both Russia and China.

Still, Sir James' lot was relatively peaceful until little Meri impressed a visiting dignitary and it was decided that she should be schooled in 'appropriate surroundings.' Thus, her father was promoted to consulate duties in Shanghai, which had become a powerhouse of trade and political influence. Thus, at age 8, she and her parents moved to Shanghai. It was discovered later, far too late, in fact, that the 'dignitary' was one of the empire's great spymasters, and that Meri's new school, and her  new 'education,' were of a  very special kind: for assassins.

Things progressed as such things will, and at age twenty-two, she infiltrated and was assigned to infiltrate the Russian Consulate in Austin, Texas, of all places; In a series of events (not all of which have come to light even as of the present), she was attracted to, and taken in by, and turned, by their leader (Morganthe* de la Villareal) of a sect of assassins and so-called 'anarchists' of a very dark and sinister variety indeed; they were a creche of vampires.

From that point onward, Meri became under the tutelage off her sire and her minions an assassin non pareil, not only deadly and ruthless but deathless, and nigh unkillable as well - a trait common to the lineage of her sire.

From being burned to very nearly a lump of charred meat several years later on an airship over Shanghai harbor by a fire-throwing Texan, to having her soul ripped out and put back again; to being flung by wild mischance through time, space, and alternate realities before coming to rest in Meiji-era Japan of the PaRefFa's milieu, her life was already a exceedingly strange one. Then, she was recruited by the farseeing master of an obscure ninja sect purported to have supernatural connections, and still persisted in survivng whatever fate threw her way even then. Meri has seen it all, or most of it.

Her current assignment, by that same master (whose loyalty is questioned by the japanese spymasters, and whose status as a hostage supposedly (?) ensures Meri's cooperation) is outwardly to infiltrate and closely observe the activities at the station, taking no overt action, but to feed in secret under deep cover as the hunger dictates adn blend into her surroundings undetecyably as anything othe rthan a debizen of teh station, awaiting further orders.

Inwardly, secretly, she is to wait until her sect decides whether to remain faithful to the Nipponese government, or rescue the master and strike out on their own and seek allies elsewhere.

Meri, therefore, walks a very fine line and avoids trouble as much as the beast within will allow. Woe betide he who attempts to upset that balance.

Aircraft Name-None. Does not need it.

Aircraft Description-

Skills- Extreme stealth; Misdirection; disguise; all weapons, but ; many techniques and styles of fighting and both offense and defense, gained through nearly a century of existence, and more than seventy years of actual experience. Flight via use of manifested wings, various forms of apparition/disapparition. can use literally anything as a weapon, and is extremely strong, fast, and agile. Can kill or protect with equal ease (but be warned, she has an undead immortal's outlook on survival), Has volunteered to be left behind to face the enemy alone, been destroyed, and has turned up again -Many times. She can endure sunlight, and has been known to develop a tan for the purpose of an assignment; capable of tanning to a 'light chocolate' hue.

Gear- her beauty, a most potent weapon indeed; Her nails; Her canines appear normal, but can grow long in an instant; always carries some kind of metal implement, even if it's just a steel chopstick, which she is adept at throwing lethally. The same goes for wooden ones; nail file; Sword, when she can acquire one and fit it into her wardrobe without it becoming obvious (unless the situation calls for obviousness) or too cumbersome. Always manages to conceal some kind of small handgun about her person; is fond of derringers and minirevolvers. Impossible to tell where they go when she changes.

Personality-Ruthless; a predator, but with a conscience and still the vestiges of humanity and its softer sides -- but will not hesitate to kill to feed or escape detection if the situation warrants. Once befriended or allied, is loyal to an extreme and ruthless degree. Has been known to work as a prostitute as a means to complete an assignment. Former clients from such activity have a tendency to turn up dead and drained, however, and anyone she considers perverted or unclean tends to get very short shrift.

Clothing- Chinese dresses when working at the club, entertaining a man (WARNING, what she considers to be 'low' or 'unworthy' types tend to be entertained for dinner - fatally), or trolling for food. For working as assassin or guard, (or when feeding, though this is not really always true), dresses in either her original all-black, form-hiding attire, or in attire appropriate for the specific job. High heels or sandals, or job-appropriate footwear.

Physical Appearance- ; Long-boned in the face in the classic Chinese Eurasian style; Alabaster Skin, Long, silky, shining black hair, Eyes that appear black but shine or reflect red in the dark, and burn with a reddish glow when angered or her dark instincts are aroused; the brighter the glow, the more excited or angry she is (she can mask this, but the effort is taxing; usually she hides her eyes behind dark round -lensed glasses when not in the club). Nails can become long claws if necessary, but she hates to do that, as it destroys the polish. Canines appear normal, but can grow to long, needle-pointed, slightly-curved razor sharpness when angered or aroused (or provoked to hunger).

Meri Is extremely beautiful in the stereotypical way of Eurasian beauties, whether in human-seeming or vampiric form.

------------
*No relation to the Sorceress of the same name from the game whose title I cannot recall at the moment.

Yes, Meri's sire is the same Morganthe as the one to whom Dreyfuss was affianced, and later forced to "kill" in order to save his foster sister. Obviously, the "execution" did not take...

I am not trying to make this a supernatural RP; I just had a sort of ninja-type character from a previous story that I thought would fit here. It's my intention that she will develop into either a recurring villain, then/or an antiheroine.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:03:42 am by MWBailey » Logged
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #197 on: January 30, 2013, 07:10:24 am »

She's not going to like Amir, will she? Amir's a pervert, but he's a Good-natured Pervert.

He's in danger, isn't he?
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #198 on: January 30, 2013, 07:18:38 am »

Oh dear now I see Willa trying to fight off a vampire because she got too close to her man.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #199 on: January 30, 2013, 07:32:34 am »

She's not going to like Amir, will she? Amir's a pervert, but he's a Good-natured Pervert.

He's in danger, isn't he?

Depends; I was actually planning to have her lie low for a while for the most part, sticking to the back streets etc. and mostly venturing out only in the evening and nighttime, mainly to skulk or feed, and working and singing (torchy/jazzy/swingy stuff) in the club. I was thinking I'd call it the Forbidden Palace or some such, it'd be like the club in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Perhaps the proprietor thinks she's a legit chinese refugee...

Oh dear now I see Willa trying to fight off a vampire because she got too close to her man.

Hmmm... She's ruthless, but she still has vestiges of human morality. If Willa put up enough of a fuss she might decide to recognize and admire the woman's tenacity and leave Amir probationally, so to speak, under Willa's ...ahem... firm guidance...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:42:20 am by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: