The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 12:20:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Decorating an Old Pocket Watch - Opinions and Ideas Welcome  (Read 6128 times)
Miyajima
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: October 12, 2012, 07:08:23 pm »

Hello, I'm a new user and relative newcomer to the Steampunk genre/aesthetic as a whole, and am looking to expand my currently non-existent arts & crafts skills with some small, easily-completed projects to begin with.

I recently bought myself a new pocket watch and am now looking to do something with the old one.  It's nothing special, there's no available cogs or springs to salvage as it was a battery-powered electronic movement, but I thought that something could possibly be done with the casing and innards by themselves.

Here's a couple of pictures of the stripped-down watch:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, the 'glass' (actually just plastic, I discovered) is cracked, and the catch is so worn that the watch does not remain closed when you put the lid down.  I had thought to take advantage of the cracked appearance to create a device that looks "broken", preferably something small and portable to use as a prop.  However, I am open to any and all suggestions and especially advice on how to go about making something out of it, given I have never really attempted anything like this before.

Thank you ahead of time.
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 08:33:22 pm »

Welcome aboard.

How about a remote for a time machine?  Create a face that indicates what year or decade or century you are in. Add a few control buttons for forward, reverse, return to start.

Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:49:37 pm »

Repaint the watchface itself, or at least artificially age it to give it character. Right now, it's rather bland. Maybe find a way to replace it with an old style windrose?

Also, fixe the clasp. A pocket watch that doesn't close right is just... sad.

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
Miyajima
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 12:29:35 am »

Both useful suggestions, thank you.  I had thought to make it some form of device allowing cross-planar travel, so that its (and my own) presence may be excused in a modern setting while remaining entirely 'in character', so I'll see what I can come up with.

As stated in the opening post, I'm a novice and have very little experience in any sort of craft work - what paint would you recommend using for this, and should I take the pre-existing face off, first?

I'm afraid fixing the clasp isn't possible as it's the case itself that's broken, I think I forced it shut one too many times and slowly chipped away at the metal catch.  I certainly don't have the tools or knowledge to fix that myself.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 12:32:11 am »

I'm also not an expert, so I have no clue what paint you should use. If you put under waterproof glass or plastic, shouldn't matter mutch, as they're be nothing to wear it away.

Also, it looks like you took the face off already. I'm referring to the bit with numbers, you see!
Miyajima
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 10:59:21 am »

I thought that was the face.  Or is it dial?  I admit I'm not very up with my chronological terminology.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 04:37:22 pm »

Exactly!

I'm so confused...
Miyajima
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:48:26 pm »

I've spent a little time sketching out possible designs for the face.  Taking the advice of a wind rose to heart, I was taken by the designs of modern wind roses, specifically the way the points varied in length depending on intensity, but that didn't really work so well when applied to an older style of design.  Similarly, I thought a standard eight-point rose looked a little bland, and ran the risk of making the pocket watch look like little more than a hand-held compass.

However, I then thought about using an odd number of points, which looks more striking from a design perspective, and settled on a nine-pointed rose (not least because of the apparent significant of the numbers 9 and 99 in Chinese Numerology relating to time and eternity).

As such, I've prepared a basic design and some colour schemes, although I'm not settled on the colours yet, so any additional advice would be most welcome.

Design 1 - Bleu-Blanc-Rouge Spiral

Design 2 - Black 'North' with Alternating Blue and Red

Design 3 - Gold-Orange-Yellow Spiral with Pale Background
Miyajima
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 10:54:54 pm »

As a little exposition, my idea behind the nine-pointed rose came about when contemplating the compass and wind roses.  Both mark the cardinal directions and both can show the direction of the wind, as well as one's relative position to North.

So combining the two provided ideas of wind rose and time machine, I thought I would design the pocket watch to be a compass - for reading Time Winds.  This is why there's specifically nine points, the time winds do not flow as common-or-garden wind does, and a traveller must be sure to align himself to the prevailing wind before embarking on a journey.  This will be the function of the second hand, which will continue to spiral around the nine points and show in which direction the time winds are currently facing.  The hour and minute hands will be placed elsewhere on the face to determine other, as yet undecided, factors.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 11:11:22 pm »

I like it! Might I suggest a version cut out of some sort of metal (heavy copper foil being comparitivly easy to work with) on an antiqued background?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 03:35:28 am »

As a little exposition, my idea behind the nine-pointed rose came about when contemplating the compass and wind roses.  Both mark the cardinal directions and both can show the direction of the wind, as well as one's relative position to North.

So combining the two provided ideas of wind rose and time machine, I thought I would design the pocket watch to be a compass - for reading Time Winds.  This is why there's specifically nine points, the time winds do not flow as common-or-garden wind does, and a traveller must be sure to align himself to the prevailing wind before embarking on a journey.  This will be the function of the second hand, which will continue to spiral around the nine points and show in which direction the time winds are currently facing.  The hour and minute hands will be placed elsewhere on the face to determine other, as yet undecided, factors.

The hour hand could indicate the prevailing temporal currents, the minute hand the phase of the time-tide, and the second hand the timewaves which constantly flow past (and future. Tongue)

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: