The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 07:38:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you have a "dream home," steamy or otherwise?
A classic Victorian house.
"Retro-modern" house.
Old Gothic church.
Remote cabin.
Old farmhouse.
A liveaboard boat.
An underground or cave house.
A castle/palace.
A small studio apartment.
An RV so I can travel to more SP cons.
An airship.
Gypsy wagon.
A tent.
A craftsman style house.
A tower (silo, windmill, lighthouse, ATC, etc...)
I have no dreams.
Microhome.  3/26/16

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Your (SP) Dream Home?  (Read 59672 times)
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #425 on: December 19, 2016, 09:11:20 am »

Shotgun shacks, workers cottages, miners cottages, railways houses, soldiers cottages etc from the past have always fascinated me.  They are space efficient,  frugal,  cosy  and full of character.

There is so much to wonder about them . How big families fitted themselves into them ? Who lived there over generations and transient  tenancy ?  How did they live ?  What their lives were like ?

I have heard almost no one outside of North Carolina use the term "shotgun shack."

?
http://www.wargamevault.com/product/115641/Shotgun-House?cPath=22501_22515

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #426 on: December 20, 2016, 05:24:53 pm »

Shotgun shacks, workers cottages, miners cottages, railways houses, soldiers cottages etc from the past have always fascinated me.  They are space efficient,  frugal,  cosy  and full of character.

There is so much to wonder about them . How big families fitted themselves into them ? Who lived there over generations and transient  tenancy ?  How did they live ?  What their lives were like ?

I have heard almost no one outside of North Carolina use the term "shotgun shack."

?
http://www.wargamevault.com/product/115641/Shotgun-House?cPath=22501_22515

Loving the description  contained in the link
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #427 on: December 20, 2016, 07:01:55 pm »

I knew I knew the phrase from somewhere...

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #428 on: April 02, 2017, 09:09:44 pm »

https://www.facebook.com/victorianhouses/ 

-Karl
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #429 on: April 03, 2017, 09:58:09 pm »

Saw an ad on line for a really nice castle, with a tower!
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #430 on: April 04, 2017, 01:45:31 pm »

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-tiniest-castle-in-the-uk-is-for-sale-244209
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #431 on: April 04, 2017, 02:14:43 pm »

The ad I saw was for a castle in Ireland (not the Guinness one) : Clonbrock Castle, Gardener's Villa, Cottages and Turret, Ahascragh, Co. Galway.

I will have to get a Tatts ticket in town tomorrow!
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #432 on: April 04, 2017, 02:34:50 pm »

The ad I saw was for a castle in Ireland (not the Guinness one) : Clonbrock Castle, Gardener's Villa, Cottages and Turret, Ahascragh, Co. Galway.

I will have to get a Tatts ticket in town tomorrow!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/11614360  $132./night is below the cost of many Alaska motels.....   https://www.facebook.com/clonbrockcastle/  I am hearing a little about this Air B&B thing recently. 
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #433 on: April 04, 2017, 10:30:44 pm »

A friend of mine down near Melbourne does the airbnb thing. Not my cuppa tea, and if I had a castle, no way - rellies and friends only!
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #434 on: April 05, 2017, 03:46:22 am »

A friend of mine down near Melbourne does the airbnb thing. Not my cuppa tea, and if I had a castle, no way - rellies and friends only!

AB&B is new to me but we have been in https://www.couchsurfing.com/groups/the-steampunk-couchsurfers-appreciation-society  Not enough of our friends seem brave enough to visit us and it seems like a shame to let out spare room go to waste. 
John_R_Isadore
Swab

« Reply #435 on: April 10, 2017, 02:57:17 am »

I know this is just a crazy daydream, but you said dream so whatever.

You know Laputa, the castle in the sky? Okay, I want THAT but livable. I'd like a regal castle full of towers on a landmass drifting how about the clouds, riding with the air currents.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #436 on: May 18, 2017, 03:57:41 pm »

Just saw Miss Peregrine's Home For peculiar Children. By any chance does that beautiful house actually exit, or is that just computer graphics? At this point in time that would have to be my dream house.   

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #437 on: May 18, 2017, 11:12:46 pm »

Just saw Miss Peregrine's Home For peculiar Children. By any chance does that beautiful house actually exit, or is that just computer graphics? At this point in time that would have to be my dream house.   

It is all real.
http://www.atlasofwonders.com/2016/09/filming-locations-miss-peregrines-home.html?m=1
R. K. Beetle
Deck Hand

« Reply #438 on: May 19, 2017, 02:34:17 pm »

This place is for sale, cheap.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #439 on: May 19, 2017, 05:28:16 pm »

The masons had fairly  marvelous architecture  going on with their lodges.. They  a have a style of their own that stands out, including the smaller town buildings .
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #440 on: May 19, 2017, 10:44:06 pm »

The masons had fairly  marvelous architecture  going on with their lodges.. They  a have a style of their own that stands out, including the smaller town buildings .

Yahhhhh.  Beautiful building. Gooing cheap cuz somebody else tried to live there and doesn't have the million per year income (at least) to pay taxes, maintenance, repairs, ( gawd the cost of redoing the roof alone...) heting, cooling, electric ( it's in NY state, cold and rainy in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter) and the radiators demonstrate it has an ancient costly (possibley unsafe) boiler heat system....

Saw a property like that we had to pass on because of .... the hidden costs.

always dreaming....
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #441 on: May 20, 2017, 09:46:45 am »

Yahhhhh.  Beautiful building. Gooing cheap cuz somebody else tried to live there and doesn't have the million per year income (at least) to pay taxes, maintenance, repairs, ( gawd the cost of redoing the roof alone...) heting, cooling, electric ( it's in NY state, cold and rainy in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter) and the radiators demonstrate it has an ancient costly (possibley unsafe) boiler heat system....

Saw a property like that we had to pass on because of .... the hidden costs.

always dreaming....
prof marvel

Here in the Antipodes the Masonic halls are much smaller,  though still requiring much restoration and adherence to heritage  regulations

http://www.nz.open2view.com/properties/368259

http://www.heritage.org.nz/the-list/details/1686
http://northlandhistory.blogspot.co.nz/2013/06/the-masonic-hall-at-warkworth-1883.html?m=1
http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/27280/taupiri-lodge-huntly
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #442 on: June 03, 2017, 12:06:43 pm »

Hurricane Annie; many many thanks regarding my inquiry regarding Miss Peregrine's house. Sorry this took so long but I only have internet access infrequently. Really appreciate the photos. 
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #443 on: June 05, 2017, 03:46:58 pm »

Hurricane Annie; many many thanks regarding my inquiry regarding Miss Peregrine's house. Sorry this took so long but I only have internet access infrequently. Really appreciate the photos. 

My pleasure Mr Creagmor.   I always enjoy an opportunity  to explore the unusual.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #444 on: August 02, 2017, 12:58:38 am »

as I adapt to living in a car, I'm contemplating how much of a step up some of the tiny house ideas I had would seem. I suppose I shall keep an eye out for small utility trailers in the next few months. and start thinking about building a simple bowtop to help me along on my first years adventure traveling across country.

I should probably also look into one of those tiny stoves too, to heat it with while traveling in the colder regions.

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #445 on: August 02, 2017, 06:03:08 pm »

After nearly 6 years' of saving, bought 2 cars and paid off my post-grad student loan, I'm nearly at the point where I feel ready to go house hunting. 

Something like that would be nice; but I fear out of my price range. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #446 on: August 20, 2017, 04:45:29 pm »

all this humid damp summer in the car has me examining my ideas of a tiny home closely. It's a lovely idea, but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it's always going to be the sort of thing one does for a few years and then finds something else.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #447 on: August 21, 2017, 02:23:56 am »

all this humid damp summer in the car has me examining my ideas of a tiny home closely. It's a lovely idea, but I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it's always going to be the sort of thing one does for a few years and then finds something else.

I don't suppose that tiny homes are a long term option for most people but at least, if you take care of it, you should be able to sell it easily when you change up some day. 
There are a number of YouTube videos from people who live the gypsy life in RVs.  They have made quite an art form out of improving used RVs that would probably work on a mobile or stationary tiny home such as changing to all LEDs, adding insulation, adding solar panels, improved storage, etc...  These could make a tiny home both more livable and sellable.  A tiny domestic adventure. 
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #448 on: August 21, 2017, 03:19:37 am »

You all might like this "Viking mobile home build" from an old friend of mine:  https://www.facebook.com/brun.canutesson/media_set?set=a.702899619857844.1073741831.100004134361973&type=3 

SkyCityMint
Deck Hand

« Reply #449 on: August 24, 2017, 12:01:14 am »

I like this one. Maybe one day.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: