The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 06:04:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you have a "dream home," steamy or otherwise?
A classic Victorian house.
"Retro-modern" house.
Old Gothic church.
Remote cabin.
Old farmhouse.
A liveaboard boat.
An underground or cave house.
A castle/palace.
A small studio apartment.
An RV so I can travel to more SP cons.
An airship.
Gypsy wagon.
A tent.
A craftsman style house.
A tower (silo, windmill, lighthouse, ATC, etc...)
I have no dreams.
Microhome.  3/26/16

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Your (SP) Dream Home?  (Read 59077 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #300 on: January 25, 2015, 11:18:57 am »

A bigger , flasher  beaten copper version of this type of thing

A Rib shower has quite interesting look about it

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #301 on: January 25, 2015, 02:37:50 pm »

Hopefully we will get to see how it progresses.

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #302 on: January 25, 2015, 11:57:23 pm »

I heard Dracula's castle is up for sale, though. Too rich for me. :[
At any rate, my second would be a Victorian manor house and third would be a prehistoric cave or a train.

I did not even think about a train home.  There is a some serious possibilities there. 

-Karl
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #303 on: January 27, 2015, 04:48:03 am »

Oh, that French chateau.  What a glorious place! The painting on the walls, the proportions of everything, the grace!  I shall follow that restoration on facebook.  Lucky people -- but how on earth can they pay for it?

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #304 on: February 10, 2015, 06:29:26 am »

This is a video of a pretty impressive NYC custom sternwheeler houseboat, the Emma Bellehttp://www.travelchannel.com/shows/extreme-houseboats/video/riverboat-turned-houseboat
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #305 on: February 10, 2015, 09:06:43 am »

I found the  classic  tomes , "Daughters of the Painted Ladies " and "Painted Ladies" in the local library system. Somebody a few pages ago referred to them and was looking  for them

They are well worth the read and will be circulating in a library or 2ndbook  hand shop near you

I wont give  away the ending though....
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #306 on: February 10, 2015, 04:13:40 pm »

Ms Annie, there is another volume that is called Painted Ladies Revisited and, if I'm not mistaken, it's the only one that contains interiors. Many of them are really fantastic, even the miniatures. Holmes' little sitting room was particularly nice. I wish I still had a copy of it. Hopefully you will soon be able to lay your hands on a copy. Beyond a doubt you will appreciate just about everything in it.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:40:58 pm by creagmor » Logged

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #307 on: February 11, 2015, 06:12:33 am »

Ms Annie, there is another volume that is called Painted Ladies Revisited and, if I'm not mistaken, it's the only one that contains interiors. Many of them are realty fantastic, even the miniatures. Holmes' little sitting room was particularly nice. I wish I still had a copy of it. Hopefully you will soon be able to lay your hands on a copy. Beyond a doubt you will appreciate just about everything in it.

Thank you good sir. I will look that up on the library catalogue. The author did joke in the back of the Daughters book that the next one might be Cousins of Painted Ladies.
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #308 on: February 15, 2015, 06:13:36 pm »

Right I have found my dream home, well the foundation for it anyway-
 a floating island made from waste, and turned into joy.
This the man who made one.

An Island made from plastic bottles by Richart Sowa
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #309 on: February 15, 2015, 10:48:54 pm »

Right I have found my dream home, well the foundation for it anyway-
 a floating island made from waste, and turned into joy.
This the man who made one.

An Island made from plastic bottles by Richart Sowa

It would be  a tranquil  space
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #310 on: February 16, 2015, 06:38:31 pm »

Ingenious. the first thing that come to mind is how does the fellow deal with fresh water in, and black water out?
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #311 on: February 16, 2015, 07:41:54 pm »

Dear Mr Creagmor, I am not sure about his system, but it is not that dificult to deal with water. I am not sure what you mean by black water so I hope this may help.
The island is like a sponge floating on the sea, the salt water of the sea is heavier than fresh water so as there is little agitation at the bottom of the sponge the fresh and salt waters do not mix and form layers thus the plants grow with their roots sitting in the pool of fresh water sitting above the salt water. This is the same as in most coral islands where the rain produces a pool of fresh water in the ground which sits above the sea water.
On the other hand if black water means waste water, which I think is more likely, I am not sure how he is dealing with it, but in my climate in England a system where the waste flows from compost area through reeds and other plants which will take out all containments from the water and the waste itself is turned into plant growth.    
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:43:49 pm by jonb » Logged
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #312 on: February 18, 2015, 08:03:44 pm »

Thank you kindly for the information. "grey water" is waste water from everything but the toilet and is usable for irrigation purposes. "black water" includes toilet waste as well. While this might be usable for watering plants, I would personally hesitate to use it on edible, or fruit bearing, vegetation. I really don't know how universal these terms are, but they are commonly used in the US.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #313 on: February 19, 2015, 04:50:26 pm »

http://www.littlethings.com/luxury-treehouses/?utm_source=ISM&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=Home 
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #314 on: February 26, 2015, 07:04:24 am »

a simple composting toilet setup would likely be an option. or I imagine you could sun dry it in an enclosure to the point you could burn it in a rocket stove (which burns super cleanly enough to make sure there were no smells) the little ash that remains would be viable for fertalizers.

fresh water could be collected from something as simple as a roof top rain collector. You can use sea water to clean in by swimming, and you can clean clothing with it too. All you'd need fresh water for is drinking, which is about a gallon a day for most people in hot sunny climates. compost food scraps. Metal dishes could likely just be cleaned like a self cleaning oven with a high heat from your cooking source.

You'd only probably need soap for clothing. and there are things like soap nuts that you could use for that.

solar panels for electric, passive solar heating and cooling systems. Not sure how I'd do internet though, that might be a dealbreaker for me.

I think my only other concern is the plastics of the floating island breaking down and leaching chemicals.

also got to wonder how it would weather big storms.

edit: that dude is unhinged. he's got some funny ideas about the laws of physics. lol.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:18:28 am by rovingjack » Logged

jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #315 on: February 27, 2015, 01:30:09 am »

But if the plastic is already there, which we are told is the case at least in the Pacific ocean there are supposed to be two large accumulations of Plastics, then why not use it because it is leaching into the ocean anyway. Also by stabilising it we might even lessen the effects of the chemicals leaching into the sea.

The problems of designing it to resist storms would have to be thought about, but in many ways is easer to work out if the island has natural give so can ride over a wave rather than if you construct a boat like thing which has to remain rigid.

Yes the man has odd ideas, but that is the whole thing about visionaries, most of the stuff they come up with will be junk, but the odd little bit makes up for all the rest. No sensible person is going to spend their time constructing a floating island out of garbage, but I am so glad he did, We need more mad people!   
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #316 on: February 27, 2015, 02:28:04 am »

But if the plastic is already there, which we are told is the case at least in the Pacific ocean there are supposed to be two large accumulations of Plastics, then why not use it because it is leaching into the ocean anyway. Also by stabilising it we might even lessen the effects of the chemicals leaching into the sea.

The problems of designing it to resist storms would have to be thought about, but in many ways is easer to work out if the island has natural give so can ride over a wave rather than if you construct a boat like thing which has to remain rigid.

Yes the man has odd ideas, but that is the whole thing about visionaries, most of the stuff they come up with will be junk, but the odd little bit makes up for all the rest. No sensible person is going to spend their time constructing a floating island out of garbage, but I am so glad he did, We need more mad people!   

There are about 6  of these large plastic island swirling  around out there
mattig89ch
Gunner

« Reply #317 on: February 27, 2015, 04:19:39 am »

I dearly hope you all will forgive me if I don't wish to ready 13 pages of replies.

Personally, the idea of a lighthouse keeper always appealed to me.  Not sure why tbh.  Just the idea of being a beacon in the night, to guide others to safety and warn others to stay away speaks to something in me I can't quite explain.

Second the idea of an airship or a gypsy wagon (either one, but I chose airship), seeing the world, going wherever the wind takes me.  I don't think that would require explination to my fellow steampunks.

And finally the idea of an underground bunker is always something I've liked.  Being able to close up and let the world pass by, even better if I could get enough hydroponics going to feed myself.

I believe that Steampunk is more than just brass and watchparts. It's finding a way to combine the past and the future in an aesthetic pleasing way. It's living a life that looks old-fashioned, yet speaks to the future.

Edwin Barrett Mudgewhack, at your service
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #318 on: February 27, 2015, 05:00:25 am »

I dearly hope you all will forgive me if I don't wish to ready 13 pages of replies.

Personally, the idea of a lighthouse keeper always appealed to me.  Not sure why tbh.  Just the idea of being a beacon in the night, to guide others to safety and warn others to stay away speaks to something in me I can't quite explain.

Second the idea of an airship or a gypsy wagon (either one, but I chose airship), seeing the world, going wherever the wind takes me.  I don't think that would require explination to my fellow steampunks.

And finally the idea of an underground bunker is always something I've liked.  Being able to close up and let the world pass by, even better if I could get enough hydroponics going to feed myself.

Your wishes and dreams  are a verily summation of the last 13 pages...... a light house could be  very romantic and  mysterious....
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #319 on: February 27, 2015, 03:22:35 pm »

I had a dream last night about living in a cave. lol

What do we want? Decapitations!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #320 on: February 27, 2015, 07:10:32 pm »

Tell us more....

mattig89ch
Gunner

« Reply #321 on: February 28, 2015, 01:38:34 am »

Indeed, we would love to listen.  Should you care to share that is.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #322 on: February 28, 2015, 05:05:03 am »

You have my attention. 
selectedgrub
« Reply #323 on: February 28, 2015, 05:22:27 am »

I have lived in a cave for about 3 months.
The island's on google earth but can't see the cave.
I had a dog so I didn't need a Wilson fortunately.

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #324 on: February 28, 2015, 02:29:35 pm »

He's mad I tell ya, he's mad...oh, wait, actually, yes he is Madd. Roll Eyes

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: