The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 05:35:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you have a "dream home," steamy or otherwise?
A classic Victorian house.
"Retro-modern" house.
Old Gothic church.
Remote cabin.
Old farmhouse.
A liveaboard boat.
An underground or cave house.
A castle/palace.
A small studio apartment.
An RV so I can travel to more SP cons.
An airship.
Gypsy wagon.
A tent.
A craftsman style house.
A tower (silo, windmill, lighthouse, ATC, etc...)
I have no dreams.
Microhome.  3/26/16

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Your (SP) Dream Home?  (Read 59152 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #200 on: March 18, 2014, 07:32:04 am »

My Dears,
Lovely castles; and yet, don't you think that to be perfect a castle must be on an island?
However, I would install rather a lot of buttresses.
C.W.
P.S.
The toy castle ought to be charming. It's in a beautiful setting. But. . . It gave me the willies. Something nauseating about the way the proportions are off: if the castle was sized like a doll's house, the toys would be horridly big; as it is, they are too tiny. Ugh!
P.P.S.
However, I think the jungle-choked surrealist nightmare of Las Posas takes first prize!

Dear Miss Wingnut . Thank you for letting us visit your island castle

I haven't visited the   colour steel castle  but the  real estate  shots and those from other sites give me the  heebee jeebees. It has been for sale for  more than 6 years. The toys are heinous, especially the demonic teddies.  It could give a small child nightmares for ever.

The scariest part  is that it is now closed apart from pre booked... school trips!!   Shocked

I would much rather visit an island castle
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2014, 09:55:23 am »

N.B.
Closed. . . . Oh, imagine it at night. The doll gallery. Hundreds and hundreds of dolls. Old dolls. In darkness.
(Produces smelling salts from reticule. Adds dollop of gin to tea. Has to lie down and loosen stays.)
C.W.

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #202 on: March 18, 2014, 03:44:53 pm »

A  lot of work?

Your Landlord permits you to do repairs? Is the pay off getting reimbursed or just the fact of making it more to your liking?
Will you eventually purchase this property also?

Just curious.

Moving everything is the work part.  They have not stopped me from making modifications to the house nor complained afterwards.  There is an old Alaskan saying: "Don't ask questions if you don't want to hear the answer." 

My lovely wife expressly forbids me from buying a house here at this time.  Oddly she is letting me look at cabins in very remote areas of Alaska(?)  I have a better chance of reasoning with a fanatic suicide bomber sometimes. 

-Karl
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #203 on: March 18, 2014, 07:47:58 pm »

How about a disused pumping station?
This on the outside:
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/02/37/023796_c2ca5563.jpg
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/71/04/710428_bbd2c83b.jpg

And this on the inside
http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad328/cpcnick/papplewick%20Pumping%20Station/IMG_3721-2.jpg

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #204 on: March 18, 2014, 11:46:55 pm »

That is an interesting Gothic revival building.  Brick does lend itself  to the steampunk  ambiance for a building medium.
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #205 on: March 19, 2014, 01:16:30 am »

My Dears,
What a fantastic interior! However, one wonders about pumping station. Something was pumped? There might be an ambiance other than that of Steampunk.
C.W.
P.S. Also beginning with 'S'.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2014, 02:27:19 am »

My Dears,
What a fantastic interior! However, one wonders about pumping station. Something was pumped? There might be an ambiance other than that of Steampunk.
C.W.
P.S. Also beginning with 'S'.
Looks more like a water station to me, based on the vaulted reservoir and the round tower. I could be wrong…

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #207 on: March 24, 2014, 06:05:09 am »

I'm roughing out design ideas now. I'm planning in the next year or so to build myself a little wagon type tiny home. Currently I'm running on the premise of using a 5 foot x 10 foot ( 1.5x 3 meters) utility trailer as the base. at waist height it should be about 8 feet (2.4 meters) wide and it should have about the same in height.

Part of the appeal of this is that I should be able to get everything I need to make that happen for under $5000 and build time could be a week or two.

If I manage things just right I should be able to afford solar panels for power, and possibly a tiny wind turbine or two. That should meet most of my power needs. Rain water capture system with solar distilling should settle my basic water needs. Considering some simple sustainable heating options (which is waaaaay easier with a well insulated space that small).

Just two little things to figure out. Toilet and Land. I figure if I get one of the incinerator toilets I could keep it in the back of the truck I will need for pulling the wagon, with a bit of a secondary camper top, making it a mobile bathroom, then I could possibly "camp" at a few friends places rent free long enough to save up a down payment on a bit of land.

Those last two are the tricky parts. But for right now I'm having all kinds of fun tinkering on paper to figure out the best way to lay out the interior of an 8x10 space, to maximize it's ability to meet my needs.

Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #208 on: March 24, 2014, 08:20:24 am »

My Dear Fellow,
What an exciting project! I expect you already get the "Tiny Houses " Newsletter by e-mail? Very inspiring.
C.W.
P.S.
Why not consider a bow-top shape, for charm and a more welcoming interior. . .
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #209 on: March 26, 2014, 01:30:54 am »

My Dear Fellow,
What an exciting project! I expect you already get the "Tiny Houses " Newsletter by e-mail? Very inspiring.
C.W.
P.S.
Why not consider a bow-top shape, for charm and a more welcoming interior. . .

My original plan was to do something more along the lines of the Burton wagon style which might be close to what your image shows. I was going for a trailer design built especially for tiny homes to make it super solid, and about 16 feet long by 8 feet wide. But after runing the math and numbers it was clear that I'd be saving for some time to make it happen. It would likely end up costing me $30,000. And it's be heavy enough that I'd need to upgrade to a truck to haul it.

I happened to see that somebody had made a tiny day camper based on mini airstream trailers that could be towed by a normal car. His internal insulation job was sheathed in a layer of cloth with the cross strapping around the curves top. I jumped over to looking at the bow top and found that weight and aerodynamics on bow tops are much better and actually can bring things down to a level where a regular car can haul it. Better yet instead of spending $3000 on a special trailer to put it one a standard utility trailer should be just fine, and the 5 foot by 10 foot models would cost me about $650. Build time is much shorter mainly because I'd just put in an insulated floor and the two insulated end walls, then bend into place the cross slat frame of bent strips, cover with fabric and in my case cover that with batting insulation and vapor barrier before doing a flashing or standing seam roofing metal for a solid layer but also for radiate barriers.

Doing all that it could take about a third of the time and a sixth of the cost. It would also be easier to move to new sites.

I've been (appropriately enough) tinkering with some modifications to the design to incorporate some features of the 'brush wagons'. I figure I'd get a few solar panels rain water collection with small solar stills to distill the water for use. The costs of that shouldn't even bump the price up to $10,000 even if I did throw in a incinerator toilet.

While the trailers floor is 5x10 the expanding middle puts me in a 7x11 space. and once I'm not paying rent and able to get my own property I should be able to save that much more rapidly that building a Ledge style wagon would be very similar to the steps involved for the bow top. Then I could have one as a home and one as a workshop. Eventually I could sell one off and build another like the reading wagon based on the ledge style and what I learned from doing that. Later rinse repeat.

I've not done the news letter but I participate in a local group of tiny house fans on facebook, and many are people I know through sicial connections, and I've also been a lurker on many tiny house channels on youtube and elsewhere.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #210 on: March 26, 2014, 02:41:40 am »

These places are up for demolition or recently demolished.  What blasphemy ! Imagine what some imagination could do for these buildings

Bethany House [ previously a home for unwed mothers]

Part of Nelson Hospital

Hollard gardens

Barrett st  Hospital

fever hospital wellington

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:10:43 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #211 on: March 26, 2014, 08:13:46 am »

My Dear Fairy Penguin,
Lovely buildings, but perhaps rather prone to haunting? You may have read Kerry Greenwood's 'Unnatural Habits' about the absolute wretchedness of a laundry run by unpaid unwed mothers. Hospitals, too. Renovation not for the faint-hearted, without exorcism?
C.W.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #212 on: March 26, 2014, 10:16:18 am »

Miss Camellia , I have not read that book  but have read others that refer to those institutions and what  went on.  Exorcism would not be enough to remove the taint of those horrors. Plain not christian... But they might be enough to scare  a few young gels knees together.

The inside shots of the abandoned hospitals and institutions tell their own tales. Spookily some of the old schools have  a particularly  eerie vibe
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #213 on: March 26, 2014, 01:24:29 pm »

What!?! I don't see anything particularly wrong with the Hollard House! Somebody putting up a McMansion in its place?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #214 on: March 26, 2014, 09:31:43 pm »

What!?! I don't see anything particularly wrong with the Hollard House! Somebody putting up a McMansion in its place?

It is in a tourist park & gardens donated to the local council some decades ago , by  the Hollard family. The regional  council , Taranaki, do not want to pay for the up keep and maintenance  of the building.

Shame on them!!
Gerry Hunter
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #215 on: April 04, 2014, 09:18:19 am »

I'm roughing out design ideas now. I'm planning in the next year or so to build myself a little wagon type tiny home. Currently I'm running on the premise of using a 5 foot x 10 foot ( 1.5x 3 meters) utility trailer as the base. at waist height it should be about 8 feet (2.4 meters) wide and it should have about the same in height.

Part of the appeal of this is that I should be able to get everything I need to make that happen for under $5000 and build time could be a week or two.

If I manage things just right I should be able to afford solar panels for power, and possibly a tiny wind turbine or two. That should meet most of my power needs. Rain water capture system with solar distilling should settle my basic water needs. Considering some simple sustainable heating options (which is waaaaay easier with a well insulated space that small).

Just two little things to figure out. Toilet and Land. I figure if I get one of the incinerator toilets I could keep it in the back of the truck I will need for pulling the wagon, with a bit of a secondary camper top, making it a mobile bathroom, then I could possibly "camp" at a few friends places rent free long enough to save up a down payment on a bit of land.

Those last two are the tricky parts. But for right now I'm having all kinds of fun tinkering on paper to figure out the best way to lay out the interior of an 8x10 space, to maximize it's ability to meet my needs.
feel like sharing the design

I don't know if I could build or live in one with all the problems in my way but the designs do sound like something artistic to play with.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #216 on: April 04, 2014, 03:14:35 pm »

My dream home: In a small picturesque UK village, but not too far from a big city, is a two story flat above a sidewalk café. In the rear, a canal flows slowly behind a lush garden, with a friendly wave from the folks on the occasional narrow boat as it passes. Interior is the organized clutter of stereotypical Victoriana. The living room has a full blown "Turkish corner",on a raised platform, and a modest homage To Sherlock Holmes, complete with appropriate chemical apparatus. The kitchen and bathrooms have all of the modern conveniences, but their ambience would be pure streampunk/luxury yacht.  

Ian S  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:48:50 pm by creagmor » Logged

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #217 on: April 04, 2014, 10:01:35 pm »

Ah, Happiness! C,W.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2014, 11:36:54 am »

Indeed. Now if someone could just sneak me some winning lotto numbers, but I suppose that using time jumping would be less than kosher for such selfish ends. Ah well; what will be will be, whether it comes to pass or not. Undecided
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2014, 03:42:00 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrubXjKNfRA

An 80' sternwheeler liveaboard.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #220 on: May 03, 2014, 11:40:52 pm »

Imagine if life was one long Safari

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2014, 06:13:52 am »

these are really nice looking: http://www.freespiritspheres.com/eryn.htm

creagmor
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2014, 07:00:58 am »

Although not my particular style it is verynice. I'm no woodworker, but as it looks like it would take nigh unto forever to build something that nice. The person who did this has my respect, in large quantities.   
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2014, 07:47:20 am »

these are really nice looking: http://www.freespiritspheres.com/eryn.htm

I don't know man...  If you give me a choice between living in a tree-hanging sphere or a geodesic dome house I think I prefer the dome home...  Cheesy

The builders always made them look nice in magazines...

http://www.bigbeardomehome.com/htmlx/med_pak.htm

http://www.bigbeardomehome.com/images/home/MediaPak/domehome5.JPG

http://www.bigbeardomehome.com/images/home/MediaPak/domehome4.JPG

Some of the nicer adaptations to dome homes I saw came from magazines such as Architectural Digest back in the late 70s early 80s (sadly none of those pictures are to be found on the Internet).  I remember even domes with Spanish style clay shingle/tile roofs, with white stucco (the American interpretation of Spanish style plaster in the Americas).  With terracotta tile flooring, and plenty of Talavera tile in the kitchens those 70s model domes didn't look half bad.

Others are king of a cliche, but there were some efforts at being original in the interiors, like this 70's groovy dome home:
http://curbed.com/archives/2014/01/16/dome-inspired-by-buckminster-fuller-asks-795k.php

Some of these domes are plain huge.  I'm not sure that a 7 bedroom 4600 square foot dome would be a goal of mine (although I have lived in larger houses - but not domes).
7high

Oooh! So Seventies, maybe I should grow some sideburns  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:51:12 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2014, 12:14:31 pm »

and maybe purchase some corduroy  flares
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: