The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 04:20:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you have a "dream home," steamy or otherwise?
A classic Victorian house.
"Retro-modern" house.
Old Gothic church.
Remote cabin.
Old farmhouse.
A liveaboard boat.
An underground or cave house.
A castle/palace.
A small studio apartment.
An RV so I can travel to more SP cons.
An airship.
Gypsy wagon.
A tent.
A craftsman style house.
A tower (silo, windmill, lighthouse, ATC, etc...)
I have no dreams.
Microhome.  3/26/16

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Your (SP) Dream Home?  (Read 59073 times)
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2013, 03:12:01 am »

Her reflections look like something from a Monet, oui?

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
D.M. Atlas
Gunner
United States United States

DaveAtlas
« Reply #176 on: August 13, 2013, 08:08:34 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynnewood_Hall

This would do.

- D.M. Atlas
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2013, 12:46:54 am »

My Dears,
Speaking of dreamlike yachts, I have just found a wonderful Dutch designer called Tonke who makes yachtlike adventurers' homes called Fieldsleepers and Explorers.

Do go to the page: http://tinyhousetalk.com/detachable-motorhome-fieldsleeper/.

These vehicles are splendid, especially the interiors, and could be gloriously Steampunked. Personally, I'd rather the cab were a Land Rover or some other more rugged vehicle.

Have a look at this Jeep: http://tinyhousepins.com/jeep-action-camper-turns-your-jeep-into-an-rv/

Sweet Dreams,
CW
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:25:00 pm by Camellia Wingnut » Logged

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #178 on: August 16, 2013, 01:12:40 am »

These vehicles are splendid, especially the interiors, and could be gloriously Steampunked. Personally, i'd rather the cab were a Land Rover or some other more rugged vehicle.

There's only ONE problem with that: Landrovers are notorious for breaking with regular monotony, something like a Pinzgauer High-Mobility All-Terrain Vehicle would be a better donor vehicle.

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #179 on: August 16, 2013, 02:29:20 am »

Or perhaps...

Hmmm?

Grin

Chas.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2013, 03:43:50 am »

Ah yes.  Civilized interior.  Concealed weaponry.  Excellent!  I'll take one.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2013, 04:12:36 am »

It does look like I am trying to back the Beast into that tiny little garage, doesn't it?  Cheesy

Yes, I am currently working on the interior - the cab has Persian carpets on the floorboards, and I have a brass clinometer that will go on the dash.  I also need to mount the altimeter that I got from a MiG-23 in Iraq somehow, and a small globe that will have a brass needle indicator of our approximate location - a Global Positioning System, one might say...

The van box still needs much work, though it is eminently well set up for a safari vehicle/shooting brake/mobile craftshop and laboratory.  Potted palms and comfy club chairs will be included in the final set up, I think.

I was debating a couple of weapons turrets, but I am afraid the local constabulary would object.  They are so stuffy about some things.

Cheesy

Chas.
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2013, 11:46:31 pm »

My Dear Captain Lyerly!
What an absolutely spiffing, ruggedly enchanting vehicle! It will be unique when Punk'd. If gun turrets are out of the question, alas! I could fancy some sort of revolving periscope or antenna in pillar-box red with brass fittings and a porthole with fish-eye glass.
Carry On!
C.W.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2013, 01:19:57 am »

My Dears,
Speaking of dreamlike yachts, I have just found a wonderful Dutch designer called Tonke who makes yachtlike adventurers' homes called Fieldsleepers and Explorers.

Do go to the page: http://tinyhousetalk.com/detachable-motorhome-fieldsleeper/.

These vehicles are splendid, especially the interiors, and could be gloriously Steampunked. Personally, i'd rather the cab were a Land Rover or some other more rugged vehicle.

Sweet Dreams,
CW

That reminds me of the built quality of the early "trailers" (caravans) from the 1930s-40s.  My grandparents had one inherited from my French greatgrandmother who was, I think, one of the first-ever free souls and hippies (Art Nouveau/Jugend hippie?  Somehow it makes perfect sense).

Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #184 on: August 17, 2013, 08:36:43 pm »

What splendid vehicles! I'm looking forward to the finished interior of yours Captain Lyerly, please share some photos!

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2013, 12:30:16 am »

Or perhaps...

Hmmm?

Grin

Chas.

Are you familiar with the Army expanding vans?  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-M934-AM-General-Expandable-Van-Truck-/261264556143?pt=Military_Vehicles&hash=item3cd494c06f&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1182

I had to resurrect an old one for my battalion's HQ.   Undecided

-Karl
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2013, 02:37:55 pm »

Yes, the expand-a-van.  That would have been special, but the ones I saw when I bought my M109A3 were about four times the price.  As it is, the Beast is big enough, but not too long to park in the back drive.  Unfortunately, right now it is stationary, as some of La Contessa's fragile impedimenta are stored in it; but as soon as I can move them... ooh, just got an idea as to where they might go! - I will be working on the interior. 

Right now I am hoping to get the 24 volt/110 volt electrickery systems sorted; I don't have the manuals, though they are available on line.  Once I can figure all that out, I should be able to hook up the generator I bought for the purpose and run the various necessary systems in the van.

I still need to keep a couple of promises made to La Contessa upon purchase - until "The wheels are yellow /The upholstery's brown, the dashboard genuine leather" I will feel that it is incomplete.  Grin

But as progress is made, I will surely post pictures... and, as far as turrets go, I think I just got another interesting idea!

Cheers!

Chas.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2013, 10:25:57 pm »

I still need to keep a couple of promises made to La Contessa upon purchase - until "The wheels are yellow /The upholstery's brown, the dashboard genuine leather" I will feel that it is incomplete.  Grin
I'm not sure military vehicles can really wear yellow properly. It makes them look too much like gunnery targets. Roll Eyes

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
santiagodunbar
Deck Hand

« Reply #188 on: August 27, 2013, 07:02:11 pm »

Great poll! It was hard to only choose three, to be honest. I feel so sorry for anyone who chose that last option, "I have no dreams"!

I chose:

Realistically -- A small studio apartment. I love living in the middle of a city, where you can walk to everything you need (grocery stores, restaurants, cafes, library, etc...) and where events are happening all the time, like art gallery openings, live music, trivia contest, and other exciting things.

Semi-Realistically -- A tower, specifically either a non-working clocktower or a lighthouse. A clocktower would be soooo cool to live in, in the middle of a city where you are known as "That Weird Guy That Lives in the Tower", surveying the world from a unique perspective. If I was by the sea in a lighthouse I would hope to be somewhere on a small island in the Mediterranean or on the coast, listening to the surf crash against the beaches, smelling the salty spray in the air, and of course loving the weather!

Complete Fantasy -- An airship. To be able to travel around at your whim; one day in a city, the next in a forest, the next in a desert, getting the chance to see people and sights you'd never thought you could, and being able to get away from those annoying people who you'd never wish to see again! I am a big Star Trek fan, and ever since I was a kid I always wished I had a cloaked Bird-of-Prey in my backyard that I could get in and use to fly around the world.

May the wind be at your backs,
Santiago Dunbar
Captain, S.S. Beatrix
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #189 on: August 27, 2013, 11:56:35 pm »

My Dear Fellow,
I expect you enjoyed Hugo, the movie in which a boy lives in a clock tower in a railway station - imagine! Clockwork and steam engines! And they were in Paris, I think, so you'd have your city too.
On the other hand, he had to wind all the clocks.
C.W.
P.S. For liveaboards, do have a look on the Aethernet for the Escargot, a tiny houseboat powered by bicycle. Not a pennyfarthing, but one could customize?
santiagodunbar
Deck Hand

« Reply #190 on: August 28, 2013, 04:43:42 am »

My Dear Fellow,
I expect you enjoyed Hugo, the movie in which a boy lives in a clock tower in a railway station - imagine! Clockwork and steam engines! And they were in Paris, I think, so you'd have your city too.
On the other hand, he had to wind all the clocks.
C.W.
P.S. For liveaboards, do have a look on the Aethernet for the Escargot, a tiny houseboat powered by bicycle. Not a pennyfarthing, but one could customize?

Believe it or not, I have not yet seen Hugo! I really should check it out, though. And, I actually am visiting Paris for the first time in my life in late September--going to Europe for the first time really.

A tiny houseboat powered by bicycle!? That sounds awesome! Thanks!
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #191 on: October 19, 2013, 06:10:10 am »

http://www.riverboatforsale.com/river-boat-for-sale-overview/

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #192 on: October 19, 2013, 08:29:48 am »

Steampunk Commune anyone?
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #193 on: March 17, 2014, 07:10:29 am »

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #194 on: March 17, 2014, 08:02:25 pm »

Oh, my.  Where?
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #195 on: March 17, 2014, 10:05:02 pm »

Oh, my.  Where?

Houston, I think(?)

We are making an unplanned house move which has brought this thread back to my old memory.  Not a real adverse situation; the landlord's granddaughter is severely handicapped and they need our handicap accessible house back.  This means that we are really swapping houses three doors down.  Nice enough, bigger, more rooms, more shelves, but a LOT of work and I am going to miss our wonderful, huge, A frame windows. 
BTW the new place is a. Duplex and will be empty so we are hunting for neighbors we like. 
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2014, 12:59:37 am »

A  lot of work?

Your Landlord permits you to do repairs? Is the pay off getting reimbursed or just the fact of making it more to your liking?
Will you eventually purchase this property also?

Just curious.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #197 on: March 18, 2014, 01:22:53 am »

scary castle for sale  ( largest toy museum in Australasia)

http://www.realestate.co.nz/2228880
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #198 on: March 18, 2014, 01:48:41 am »

This is my all time world favourite castle.  One day I will visit it even if I can't live there.

Glamis castle

Eilean Donan [ voted most romantic castle in the world ]
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer

« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2014, 02:58:04 am »

My Dears,
Lovely castles; and yet, don't you think that to be perfect a castle must be on an island?
However, I would install rather a lot of buttresses.
C.W.
P.S.
The toy castle ought to be charming. It's in a beautiful setting. But. . . It gave me the willies. Something nauseating about the way the proportions are off: if the castle was sized like a doll's house, the toys would be horridly big; as it is, they are too tiny. Ugh!
P.P.S.
However, I think the jungle-choked surrealist nightmare of Las Posas takes first prize!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:05:19 am by Camellia Wingnut » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: