The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 01:50:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you have a "dream home," steamy or otherwise?
A classic Victorian house.
"Retro-modern" house.
Old Gothic church.
Remote cabin.
Old farmhouse.
A liveaboard boat.
An underground or cave house.
A castle/palace.
A small studio apartment.
An RV so I can travel to more SP cons.
An airship.
Gypsy wagon.
A tent.
A craftsman style house.
A tower (silo, windmill, lighthouse, ATC, etc...)
I have no dreams.
Microhome.  3/26/16

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Your (SP) Dream Home?  (Read 59063 times)
Stacy
Officer
Australia Australia

Played the crooked cross and got the boat.

« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2012, 01:19:12 pm »

I love the diversity of architecture from all eras, But would certainly settle on a classic Victorian home with turret etc. I've lived in a number of old Queenslander homes over the years and simply love the high ceilings and ornate decorations within.

My 2nd and 3rd choices were Gothic church and castle/palace.

One thing I have always been interested in though is the Walter Taylor bridge I've crossed countless times during my life and always wondered just what it would be like to live inside it. Unfortunately it is destined to become a tourist attraction and no longer a residential address.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2011/12/13/3390164.htm

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2012, 05:49:43 pm »

I am curious which sort of "Underground Home" folks are thinking of?  Cave?  Old mine?  Just more than one basement level?  Converted missile silo?  Buried house like this?

Not sure we have missile silos in the UK to convert but we do have underground public toilets. Architect Laura Clark, converted one in London which was featured on George Clarke's Amazing Spaces, a new programme on Channel 4 on how people develop small spaces for living, working or relaxing in. This seems to be a new trend in the UK for TV presenters on how to be relevant in the current climate. So, TV cooks like The Hairy Bikers and Nigella Lawson are doing slimming cooking, Jamie is doing frugal and architectural programmes are doing 'shed living' - Kevin McCloud's 'Grand Designs'  - or small spaces like George Clarke!

Small spaces appeal, I will have to downsize soon I guess...

I can't WAIT to see Clarkson's contribution to this one!  Unless you count the team's "hybrid" effort.  Cheesy

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2012, 02:24:52 pm »

In Crimson Skies, there is a city in the mountains of Colorado called "Sky Haven". Basically, it's an air pirate stronghold with buildings built into the mountainsides out of zeppelin wreckage and lots of cool but impossible natural landscapes. I particularly liked the "Black Hats" HQ that appears in the mission where you have to rescue the Black Swan. I think something like that might make a cool steampunkish residence.

Level 19 - Rescue the Black Swan

Here's a video of the level with the Black Hats HQ.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2012, 10:12:43 pm »

On a practical level, I would settle for ANY of the above options in order to own my own property! To own my own home is the real dream for me.

But when I really let myself dream though I would love a Victorian home (or even a flat in one); my heart yearns for a house like the one I grew up in. Yes it was a red-brick terrace house; one of many in Birmingham (oh so many!) but it was home and it was beautiful. Unlike so many of the terrace houses (and I have lived in 5 now; yay for being a student) which have been stripped of all original features, it had the original windows, the minton tiles in the hall, plaster busts of Queen Victoria above the stairs, picture rails, moulding on the ceilings; everything. I miss that house. Isn't funny how the aesthetics of childhood shape our idea of beauty?

My other favourite option is an Addam's family type house; mostly because of the turret. I'd sure love a turret; I completely agree with those who'd put a library in there too. Not many of those in the UK though.

If I'm really lucky I'll be able to afford a small Victorian house one day and I'll be able to have my library at last!

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2012, 10:59:53 pm »

Not sure we have missile silos in the UK to convert but we do have underground public toilets.

Didn't you guys build a lot of costal defense bunkers  in WII? seems like some of those should still be around.

Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2012, 11:13:05 pm »

Didn't you guys build a lot of costal defense bunkers  in WII? seems like some of those should still be around.

Yes a lot of costal defence complexes were built during WWII, but most of these are either in areas where access would be a problem or owned by organisations who are unwilling to sell them to the private individual.

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2012, 11:13:54 pm »

Someone sent me this Pennsylvania "hobbit home" on FB: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/articles/inside-hobbit-house.aspx  It seemed to cute to not share. 

-Karl
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2012, 12:43:39 am »

A different sort of "tree house" apparently in British Columbia. 
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #133 on: December 30, 2012, 03:13:55 am »

There's a lotta "different sort of" stuff in British Columbia. Tongue

Any more info on this, Captain?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2013, 03:06:03 am »

There's a lotta "different sort of" stuff in British Columbia. Tongue

Any more info on this, Captain?

I am not having much luck locating it yet:  http://bluepueblo.tumblr.com/post/38896536930/entrance-tree-house-british-columbia-photo-via 
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2013, 01:03:02 pm »

It comes from here: http://www.pioneerloghomesofbc.com/. Looking at the 'Gallery of Homes' just makes me jealous, so I haven't delved too deep into the site.

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Plutus Sar
Officer

« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2013, 07:46:03 pm »

I voted.  I currently live in a former one room school built in 1892, on 8 acres of land (roughly 16 miles from anything).  The school was sold privately in 1922, and a second 1/2 story added somewhere around that time - and the large downstairs room was divided into two smaller rooms.  In the 1950's a "shed" type room was added on the back (complete with period required bomb shelter - how I found THIS is a story unto itself!) to be the kitchen. In the 1970's a brick addition was added, to give a totally separate modern "apartment" when the owner became confined to a wheelchair.

It sounds really neat, but all the original architectural detail was stripped from it in process of all this remodeling, so it ended up being pretty ugly and totally without personality.  We are currently working to make it into something we like, and which has a "steamy" note to it.  We've been working - on-and-off - for about 13 years, hope to be finished this year..... 

"The problem is not that I was born in the wrong time, but that I should have been born in a time which has never existed..."
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2013, 01:59:32 am »

I voted.  I currently live in a former one room school built in 1892, on 8 acres of land (roughly 16 miles from anything).  The school was sold privately in 1922, and a second 1/2 story added somewhere around that time - and the large downstairs room was divided into two smaller rooms.  In the 1950's a "shed" type room was added on the back (complete with period required bomb shelter - how I found THIS is a story unto itself!) to be the kitchen. In the 1970's a brick addition was added, to give a totally separate modern "apartment" when the owner became confined to a wheelchair.

It sounds really neat, but all the original architectural detail was stripped from it in process of all this remodeling, so it ended up being pretty ugly and totally without personality.  We are currently working to make it into something we like, and which has a "steamy" note to it.  We've been working - on-and-off - for about 13 years, hope to be finished this year..... 

Do you happen to have pictures to post? 

By some odd coincidence I used to live in a relocated old school.  It had been modified extensively but there were still parts that showed the building's origins.  This site sells larger old schools (and churches): http://schoolpropertylocator.com/
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2013, 05:30:05 am »

Where I live, this came on the market back in 2009

Didnt have a spare million pounds though  Sad

(be a bugger if you needed to pop down the corner shop for a pint of milk)

Last year this was sold as well

~SeVeN~

citizen_erased
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

kojitmal
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2013, 11:48:12 am »

My dream house is a traditional Japanese house, which is not on the list :p

Something like this:

And then make it steampunky on the inside.

Sometimes I vlog: www.youtube.com/realkojitmal
(I even once did a steampunk related video!)

There`s a blog too: http://kojitmal.wordpress.com
Plutus Sar
Officer

« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2013, 01:58:43 pm »

Do you happen to have pictures to post? 

By some odd coincidence I used to live in a relocated old school.  It had been modified extensively but there were still parts that showed the building's origins.  This site sells larger old schools (and churches): http://schoolpropertylocator.com/

No pictures at the moment, I'll try and get some this weekend.
Plutus Sar
Officer

« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2013, 02:01:31 pm »

My dream house is a traditional Japanese house, which is not on the list :p

Something like this:

And then make it steampunky on the inside.

That's an extremely lovely little house you've pictured there.  We're going for an Asian influence in our remodeling and decor, with a steamy twist.
Stormcat
Officer

Sir Whiskers, Lord High Mouser and Royal lapwarmer

« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2013, 05:37:13 am »

Something like this. I've always liked Brick Houses.

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2013, 04:07:52 am »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/sternwheeler-houseboat-paddle-boat-house-boat-/111001281201?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item19d83122b1#ht_500wt_1182

The Miss Magdelina sternwheeler is for sale. 

Miss Magdalena first ride
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2013, 05:28:31 pm »

A related crosspost:  http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39861.0.html
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2013, 01:12:29 am »

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Today I'm close to tears.  Or rather Googlemaps has brought me to tears.  I have found satellite and 360 panoramic photos of my childhood neighbourhood. It turns out that Googlemaps added panoramic 360 views of the area in 2011.  Now please understand, I left this house in 1987.  Not my choice, my grandparents (who raised me as a son) had to leave due to financial constraints and business opportunities.  If there was such as thing as a Necronomicon, and I could summon the powers of Chthulu himself, I would brave the horrible verses of the unholy book and either travel back in time or figure an evil way to get this house back.

Sadly, the 360 view stops at street level so you only get to see part of what made this house so unusual, and in my mind worthy of being in this thread.   For those of you who read the first page of this thread, you already know I was raised in the outskirts of Mexico City, at an upscale neighbourhood in the State of Mexico, surrounding the Federal District metro area proper (For Americans: this is equivalent to Virginia/Maryland around the city of Washington DC).  You also know that the house was on top of a hill mounted on a "cube of dirt" four storeys high above the street level- with a tunnel my grandfather built connecting a lower garage to the lowest level of the house which had a hair-raising cantilevered room above the street.

To read the rest of the description of my house you can go back to the start of this thread here:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37460.msg809383.html#msg809383

Proof before your eyes (I tweeted these pictures so I could have quick access to the photos today - I may change or add pictures later - I won't saturate the post, I'll just use direct links)

The front of the house:
The new owners have mangled the look of the balcony room by blocking half of what used to be a set of HUGE picture windows with REALLY ugly brick work and some (wood?) siding??  Huh  Sadly the rest of the house on top of the hill is not visible - it's a rather large house...

Another view
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJImyZoCMAEgryR.jpg

At the bottom of the hill you see the garage carved into the hill and a side entrance made with blue granite boulders.  A spiralling tunnel connects the double garage to the top of the hill (4 storeys high).  

And the left side
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJIm-oOCMAAXTWR.jpg

To the left there is a side property that my grandfather purchased to have access to the top of the hill.  When my grandmother became ill, he built an elevator tower (like the old-time scissor-type gate .  If you look carefully you'll see the tower and the gate entrance to the elevator).  The other property was a huge garage meant to house an RV, with a small apartment, and it looks like the new owners have sold it and expanded a whole house that has been finished around the existing rooms my grandfather built... And they do have picture windows there  Huh WTF
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJInPr4CcAAwx2n.jpg

And this will really throw you a curve: A few houses down the street the Chinese Ambassador has his personal residence; I remember walking to school every day past his house

I also walked past this church on the side of the hill

This was the local neighbourhood.  The development was located at the bottom of a creek ravine and we were below the ground level of Mexico City.  The area was fairly green and at a distance you can see the flat mesa / edge of the ravine where the metro sprawl area ends in another residential neighbourhood.  

Doesn't look like Mexico City does it?  Well it actually isn't technically, but we were at the edge.

I attended a k-12 private school that had college classes at night.  Sadly I found out the institution collapsed financially about a decade ago in catastrophic conditions.  It has since been purchased by someone else
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJInrfYCAAAe5Gy.jpg

And as you climb your way out of the ravine you enter a residential neighbourhood that has a large Spanish and European Jewish population.  And you can see then urban sprawl part of which was already there since 1987, when I left, but I see it has grown substantially since. Tongue  It reminds me a bit of Tokyo
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJIpOoDCIAA4nSI.jpg

This WAS a dream house to me, about a million years ago   :'(
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 04:20:28 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2013, 03:08:06 am »

Dear Admiral Wilhelm,

My heart goes out to you.  I, too, have discovered this miraculous function of Google maps whereby one can fly across the globe as if swooping in from space, and of course the first thing to do is to visit the childhood home!  And walk down the street, almost in real time, and see other people living there.  It is wonderful and awful, and I feel just the same, that I want that home back so badly, to put it right again and sink my roots back into it with a sigh of relief.  Families just don't seem to keep their homes for even one generation any more, even though as a child you think that 'home' is going to always be there.  I don't know how to post images of the house I visited, though.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2013, 04:06:04 am »

My dear Arabella:

Thank you for you sentiments.  It must be that I went to see my grandfather at the nursing home this weekend when he turned 91 years of age.  I carry the burden of being the "copilot presiding over the crash landing" that occurred when out business in the US collapsed shortly after my grandfather became ill and showed signs of dementia.  I had to place him in a nursing home run by the sate as I have a hard time even keeping myself now.

I keep going back in my mind to yesteryear and wishing all of this was a nightmare, as if I could just repeat "there’s no place like home" and magically reappear at a much better part of my life 26 years in the past.  Becoming an aerospace engineer was fine and dandy.  I'm just not sure it was worth the sacrifice. Actually it was not for the education, but rather my grandparents wanted me to be close to my mother - who never was stable enough to be anyone's parent to be perfectly honest.  Maybe I'd have more humble titles if we had stayed down there, but somehow I know I would be better off. At least people were very social down there, ha, ha!

EDIT: I usually use GIMP or Photoshop to take a "screenshot" of my monitor. Basically you are blindly copying what is on the computer monitor, and you get a choice to grab a segment of the screen and save the picture in the format you like (.jpg in my case).   That is what you see here, I just take a screenshot of a segment I choose from my web-browser's window.  As far as posting pictures:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:28:19 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2013, 11:27:23 pm »

J. Wilhelm - sad to hear about your childhood home. 
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2013, 03:13:50 am »

J. Wilhelm - sad to hear about your childhood home. 
Well not sad.  It's still there!  Sad would be if the thing had washed down during the monsoons to the street below!  Grin  I don't dare show these pictures to my grandfather at the nursing home.  I don't know how to proceed with this information.  I did find that my highschool best-buddy, now a married father still lives in Mexico City - and his father- now widowed and re-married at an advanced age in his 70's? still lives in my friends childhood home- just a couple of blocks down, in  the same neighbourhood I show in the pictures.  So technically I can still go down there to visit - and it looks like very little changed from 1987 to 2011. I can still hope I will have a house like that some day.  You can guess what will happen if I win the Lotto.  And I'm not dead yet!  And I'm a Steampunk by Jove!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: