The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 06:32:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you have a "dream home," steamy or otherwise?
A classic Victorian house.
"Retro-modern" house.
Old Gothic church.
Remote cabin.
Old farmhouse.
A liveaboard boat.
An underground or cave house.
A castle/palace.
A small studio apartment.
An RV so I can travel to more SP cons.
An airship.
Gypsy wagon.
A tent.
A craftsman style house.
A tower (silo, windmill, lighthouse, ATC, etc...)
I have no dreams.
Microhome.  3/26/16

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Your (SP) Dream Home?  (Read 59632 times)
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« on: September 18, 2012, 08:01:31 pm »

Example of Option 1:

Example of Option 12:

You can vote up to 3 times and feel free to post pictures.  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:18:24 pm by Captain » Logged

-Karl
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:02:19 pm »

Honestly folks, I'd prefer my own airship.... but as Victorian houses are concerned, I don't have to go too far:

The Littlefield House outside of the Univ. of Texas at Austin (© 2007 (CC) Larry D. Moore)

I would love to wake up every day in that home, at a suitably late hour, and then upon hearing the clock tower bells, go for lunch, taking a short walk past all the pretty college girls  Wink across Guadalupe street to stuff myself with good Thai food at Madame Mam's restaurant... (I guess I really never left college in my mind).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:09:21 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Nikola Tesla
Zeppelin Captain

Angel of Timefoolery

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 09:38:58 pm »

I don't have pictures but I note a theme to my three picks:  remoteness from others!  It almost doesn't matter if I can't make it SP at all provided I get that peace and quiet.  My dream is less a center for mad-scientist-world-takeover (because if I took over the world I'd have to run it) and more of a place to study and experiment uninterrupted and undisturbed.  So I go for the things with solid doors or big stone walls, or distance from the rest of society...

"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 10:08:31 pm »

I want to live on a riverboat like the Not For Hire from Riverworld:

http://www.allmoviephoto.com/photo/2010_riverworld_008_big.html
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:26:26 pm by Alexis Voltaire » Logged

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 10:17:24 pm »

It was a real toss-up between the Gothic Church and the Victorian House ... but Gothic church won out.  Besides, I've already got a Victorian house (and the Birdnest: a remote cabin ... my first choice).  Gothic churches have such great acoustics that give an evil laugh that special quality.

The underground lair was a nice addition - I picked that one too.  It would need a observation tower or be situated seaside along a cliff.

Onward ho!
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:48:50 pm »

I don't have pictures but I note a theme to my three picks:  remoteness from others!  It almost doesn't matter if I can't make it SP at all provided I get that peace and quiet.  My dream is less a center for mad-scientist-world-takeover (because if I took over the world I'd have to run it) and more of a place to study and experiment uninterrupted and undisturbed.  So I go for the things with solid doors or big stone walls, or distance from the rest of society...

I understand what you mean.  There have been several local island homesteads for sale here this summer on Craigslist: http://juneau.craigslist.org/reo/3222774873.html or  http://juneau.craigslist.org/reo/3140176193.html   Not that you have to try too hard to be remote here. 

J.Wilhelm - beautiful. 
W. S. Marble
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 11:00:31 pm »

I would make a pitch for Craftsman-style houses to be added.  They were popular from the mid-to-late 1800's until the 1930's.  My ideal craftsman would be in a neighborhood of similar homes, and my dream vehicle (another thread for another day) would be parked out front.  I'd sit on my porch, admire the sunset, and shoot at the neighbors' kids when they crossed the property line.  Idyllic.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 11:28:27 pm »

I would make a pitch for Craftsman-style houses to be added.  They were popular from the mid-to-late 1800's until the 1930's.  My ideal craftsman would be in a neighborhood of similar homes, and my dream vehicle (another thread for another day) would be parked out front.  I'd sit on my porch, admire the sunset, and shoot at the neighbors' kids when they crossed the property line.  Idyllic.

I added the option although I had to look up exactly what you meant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Craftsman
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 04:12:56 am »

• Old farmhouse. I'm currently in an Ontario Farmhouse Gothic house that was built by my great-great-grandfather's brother-in-law. Nice place, bitch to heat, and it desperately needs a tower!

• Underground lair. 300-odd acres around the house — I just need to decide which corner of the basement to start digging in. Tongue

• Live-aboard boat. I currently have nothing even remotely like this, but I always admired Duncan MacLeod's boat, the season the show was set in Paris: a converted Seine coal barge.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 05:17:28 am »

Well... I went for a Craftsman-style house.  Stone-built, walls two feet thick, with a fireplace; hardwood floors throughout - quartersawn oak, maybe 3 inch boards.  A deep and broad tiled verandah.  A large, welcoming front door leading to the living room; a study for myself off the front room, painted scarlet, of course.  A formal dining room, then the butler's pantry and kitchen; master bedroom, master bath, and a sewing room for La Contessa opening off a short hall opposite.  A guest room with en suite bath at the back; a private and cozy brick courtyard, with a larger patio for bigger gatherings.  A garage/workshop past the courtyard; a classic motorcycle in the garage, the Beast (Captain Lyerly's Shooting Brake) parked in the driveway, and an unusual and very hot sports coupe in the porte-cochere.

Enough lawn for space and privacy without becoming a burden; perhaps a private park across the street (we will have the City maintain that, though it should be owned in common by the people who live around it).  Oh, let's go ahead and have a finished upstairs, with a couple more bedrooms, another full bath, an extra kitchen, and a long central room that can be converted to a home theatre.  Some storage under odd gables, and that should do it.

Oh.  Wait... I live there already.  Lovely place really.  I love this place, and love my steamy home town as well.

Please forgive the atrocious pun, but it is the only suitable room for my study, and it was already painted this interesting color... so I do have a Study in Scarlet.

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 05:32:45 pm »

I chose a Victorian house, Gothic church and Craftsman house, in that order.  Though truth be told I did have an altogether different idea about what was meant by Craftsman house; differences in language and all that.  A British Arts & Crafts house looks more like this:

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 06:32:33 pm »

First choice was caves and underground. It's just always appealed to me for some reason.

After that I chose Victorian house and Gothic Church, the two most impressive looking, and two most likely to be haunted. Grin

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 07:28:40 pm »

I chose a Victorian house, Gothic church and Craftsman house, in that order.  Though truth be told I did have an altogether different idea about what was meant by Craftsman house; differences in language and all that.  A British Arts & Crafts house looks more like this:

I think there may be something lost in translation here. When I read 'traditional Victorian' I though of redbrick terraces not anything like this:

Example of Option 1:

As for me, definitely arts and crafts. Or even better a converted Victorian industrial building of some description.

~A~
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 07:45:09 pm »

Thing is, what is a 'traditional' Victorian?  In the UK at least the Victorian era was a time of reviving and reusing a vast number of historic architectural styles:

-Grecian
-Roman
-Classical
-Palladianism
-Gothic
-Vernacular

In addition to which there was a growing movement toward a number of new styles:

-High Victorian Gothic (quite different to neo-Medieval)
-Arts and Crafts
-The very earliest beginnings of Modernism

And those are just off the top of my head!  Cheesy

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 10:18:18 pm »

I rarely heard the term "craftsman house" before so I am not sure what all that means to each person.  I would not mind hearing and seeing more though.  If it is important enough for folks to dream about there must be something to it

Liveaboard boats are not uncommon here since rent in our "sealed" community (no roads in or out) is outrageous except in the harbors.  There seem to be a few sternwheeler liveaboards for sale on various rivers like: http://www.lifeonthewater.org/DNN/Default.aspx?tabid=3658  My lady-wife has made it very clear that a liveaboard is out of the question.  Sad  She did finally permit me to buy an older 25' Saratoga even though she dislikes small boats.  20 minutes later it had a new name that I cannot spell and a tasteful autumn decor theme so I cannot even pretend that it is still my boat.  Sorry to go off on a tangent but I just like sharing this little story.  (I would love to trade it in on a sailboat. I enjoy the quiet sailing so much more.)

This "hobbit house" in Wales is one of the most famous underground homes but there are also several old missile silos for sale: http://www.missilebases.com/properties

This is a nice example of a converted (is the term "unspiked?") church:  http://dornob.com/countryside-church-building-converted-into-luxury-home/?ref=search
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:05:11 pm by Captain » Logged
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 10:28:35 pm »

I am living in my dream home.  Not on your list.  Not sure of the best name for it.  Probably - Rustic Contemporary

Cedar outside, some beams, brick.  Fairly open inside.  On the perfect piece of property.

Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 11:01:29 pm »

Thing is, what is a 'traditional' Victorian?  In the UK at least the Victorian era was a time of reviving and reusing a vast number of historic architectural styles:

Very true, I guess I'm thinking of the endless terraces of Leicester and Birmingham of which I am very familiar. Saying that I was in Bournville today so it's arts and crafts all the way!

I have never seen any examples of the American 'traditional Victorian' on this side of the pond. Anyone know of any?

~A~
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 11:16:18 pm »

Very true, I guess I'm thinking of the endless terraces of Leicester and Birmingham of which I am very familiar. Saying that I was in Bournville today so it's arts and crafts all the way!

I have never seen any examples of the American 'traditional Victorian' on this side of the pond. Anyone know of any?

~A~

This is what "Victorian" meant where and when I grew up (near Pittsburgh):

Even across the US "Victorian" seems to carry different meanings especially when real estate brokers are using it to inflate a house's price.   Roll Eyes
For the purposes of this poll I would like to request that we focus on the "dream" rather than the architecture.  Having said that, I would love to go on an extended "Victorian" home tour to learn more of the different styles. 
Esper Ranger
Deck Hand

Imagineering Done Right!

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 12:45:52 am »

If I were a single man my ideal SP dwelling would be either a large lighthouse or a large windmill (though I imagine the noise of the gears would drive me nuts quickly).

Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 03:05:01 am »

Second empire for me (Ala Addams Family)

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 07:09:44 am »

Well, Captain's question was "do you have a dream home steamy or otherwise?"  So I have only answered half of the question.

Let me explain.  I have already lived in a dream house.  What follows is an extremely long description as I have no photographs to show you, only memories. This is my childhood home in Mexico City (1972-1987).  Click on the spoiler if you have more than a few moments of free time and would like to read how crazy real world houses can get...

*Dressed in robe and kepi, I sit down in front of the fire.  The monkey butler approaches with a silver tray.  I light my pipe, exhale and start recounting...*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I found Googlemap photos of the exterior of the house 7 months later; see this thread Page6: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37460.msg850159.html#msg850159
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:52:22 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 08:46:43 am »

I'm imagining this house to be the bastard love child of Moshe Safdie and Antoni Gaudí.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 09:14:22 am »

I'm imagining this house to be the bastard love child of Moshe Safdie and Antoni Gaudí.

Thing is it looked far more natural than that.  The rooms individually were rather low, unpretentious, with just the centre hall where the trees were being the tall part.  The two trees protruded from the roof, by the way, creating a nightmarish scenario when trying to insulate the roof as summer rains are copious.

I really miss that house.

EDIT  Ha ha!  I just realized than Christmas Eve description is a little Austin Powers....  Yeah baby!  Oh behave!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:24:11 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 10:31:05 am »

Right now we live in a house similair to this:
Totally un-Steampunkable. To Steampunk any room would be in vain, because of the overall look of the house. Probably just the bathroom or garage could be Steampunked.

My dream SP house?

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 04:51:00 pm »

Right now we live in a house similair to this:
Totally un-Steampunkable. To Steampunk any room would be in vain, because of the overall look of the house. Probably just the bathroom or garage could be Steampunked.

My dream SP house?

Love the second picture ... and that was a great movie as well!

The hobbit hole a few posts back is similar to a 'root cellar' that we plan on building in the garden ... along with a greenhouse setting on an underground (mostly) pool.  The Birdnest is very soon due for some cast iron railings and some other gothic additions (slate roof, copper flashings and gutters, pigeon spikes on the ridge, cast iron and brass brackets, and a paint job or sleeve for the chimney ... a balcony or two perhaps) for the final destination of being a whimsical gothic / victorian / retro-future chalet.  The siding and roofing currently on it was ... expedient.  Ultimately, it will be a cross of my three picks (only waaaaaaay smaller - it's only 1100 sf and we don't want it much larger).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: