The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 07:25:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Functional gear tattoo  (Read 1606 times)
5paz
Gunner
United States United States

« on: September 16, 2012, 06:30:41 am »

I am thinking about getting a tattoo with a gear as the shoulder joint then a rod connected to it to represent bone. What I am wondering is how to make it so that if it was real, it would be functional. I want it to end up similar to the tattoo below with the ripped skin and such. Any suggestions as to what type of gear setup I could use for this?

selectedgrub
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 07:32:20 am »

Miter?

Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 11:27:52 am »

The main difficulty to such an 'x-ray' view of the hinge under the skin idea will be that it will only look right from the one angle.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 01:17:33 pm »

It would be a new look: Steam Borg!  Very cool. mark

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
5paz
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 07:35:24 pm »

The main difficulty to such an 'x-ray' view of the hinge under the skin idea will be that it will only look right from the one angle.

Which angle would that be?
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 11:06:51 pm »

I am not sure that Fairley is right on this. If yoiu have gone for the ripped skin hole then there is only one viewpoint really - straight into the hole. Perhaps some dark shading around the mechanism can be made to imply that the hole is quite deep?

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
5paz
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 01:32:36 am »

So what I am thinking is I go with the miter and rod then having two gears behind the rod that connect with a hose that starts near the top of the tattoo, then heads down and over the rod that disappears at the bottom. Any other odds and ends that I could possibly throw in?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:04:12 am by 5paz » Logged
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 04:56:45 am »

Sorry, just to clarify somewhat: by 'angle' I meant the drawing will only follow the underlying structures of the shoulder joint when your arm is in one particular 'pose' - i.e: if it's inked for when your arm hangs naturally at your side, it will be distorted when your arm is lifted over your head or turned in any other direction.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: