The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 02:17:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Constructa Watch  (Read 3920 times)
wheelgunner
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: August 31, 2012, 06:05:16 pm »

Hi guys,
I found this pocket watch in a box of junk. The case is pretty rough and it will run for a little while if you wind it and shake it but won't run for long. I had thought about taking it apart to see about salvaging parts but thought I had better check with those who might know more about these things than I do before proceeding. The face has "SPENDID 17 Jewels" and "Shockprotected" "Swiss Made", on the inside of the back it says, "Constructa Watch LTD Swiss Made", on the movement it says, "17 Seventeen Jewels Unadjusted Swiss Made Constructa Watch LTD". Is this watch worthy of spending the money to try to get it fixed or is it just junk? Thanks for any insight you can give.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:29:12 pm »

I'm not an expert, but 17 jewels indicates a fairly decent movement, so would keep accurate time if serviced. However this watch was likely made in Hong Kong or some other country in the early/mid 1980s, using a movement that was finished in Switzerland. Googling it seems to indicate it's made by a fairly no-name company. Looks like it is a pin lever movement.

Value, not a lot. But it could probably be serviced cheaply enough and make a decent daily wear pocket watch.

As I said, no expert, so I leave it to others to confirm or discredit what I say.  Wink

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 10:32:00 pm »

A picture is worth a thousand words.  Two thousand if it's a picture of the inside mechanical bits.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
wheelgunner
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 01:16:02 am »

A picture is worth a thousand words.  Two thousand if it's a picture of the inside mechanical bits.
I would have tried posting a picture, unfortunately, my daughter is at Dragon.con right now and about the only thing I know about this evil electronic device is how to turn the cursed thing on and find a forum or two! Embarrassed
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 02:56:22 am »

Constructa was a small Swiss manufacturer (created out of the Neuchatel company acquired by the Mondaine Group) in the 1950's - mostly known for pin lever movements, but they did turn out some decent jeweled movements. Not common, that's for sure. Might be hard to get parts though. They did under 500 watches per year when they were in business, so a rarity.

Cheers

Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: