The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 05:22:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terrarium Plantings  (Read 1458 times)
ThriftyVictorian
« on: August 16, 2012, 02:34:32 am »

Greetings - I have recently planted a silver coffee warmer as a small terrarium - and ran into difficulty with finding a small enough plant specimen. I realize that moss is very popular for terrarium at the moment, but wanted to do something different - in fact my original thought was to use a small plant, preferably a venus fly-trap, some moss, and a mini-safari doll of some sort - however, I quickly ran into trouble with spacing.

Wanting to grant the plantings the greatest chance of success, I initially began by layering - gravel/stone, charcoal, then soil - and then went in search of a plant that appeared on a number of "terrarium plant" lists online. I searched in three different shops - but perhaps due to the time of year, the greenhouses were a bit bare - and I ended up with an aluminum plant, which did appear somewhere on the lists as suitable for terrarium...

Upon returning home, I very quickly discovered that the aluminum plant, despite being the smallest I could find, was too large to fit in my container - so now, I have a rather severely pruned plant, resting in a thin layer of soil (the gravel and charcoal had to go.) It has been about a week since planting, and the plant is still alive,  which is encouraging. However, I am wondering if other planters-of-terrarium have been having trouble finding suitable plants, and if they have any advice to offer - one question I have, is how one goes about cleaning soil off of the leaves of one's plant when one cannot reach it with their own fingers? And, assuming that my plant continues to live, how am I ever going to prune it when it begins to grow again?

From reading elsewhere here on BG, I know that many were planning plantings earlier on, and I am also curious to know how they look now?

Thank-you.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:54:43 pm by ThriftyVictorian » Logged
K. D. R. Tempus
Snr. Officer
United States United States

What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 06:52:48 pm »

What a pretty terrarium!

For true miniature plants, check out the Violet Barn. Just keep a firm grip on your wallet. Wink The site also has a number of tutorials that might apply.

http://www.violetbarn.com/houseplants.htm

'Arthur, you have no historical perspective. Science in those days worked in broad strokes. They got right to the point. Nowadays, it's all just molecule, molecule, molecule. Nothing ever happens big.' ~The Tick
BlackIris
Deck Hand
United States United States

Tantum vos can ingredior semita.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 01:36:23 am »

I can recommend The Violet Barn MOST highly.
They are vendors at the Annual Home and Garden Exposition here and always have exquisite specimens.
Everything I've purchased from them has exceeded expectations.

As for manipulating tiny, or even not so tiny, plant material, chopsticks work very well, and you can clean the interior of dirt with a cotton ball secured to a bendy straw.

“All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.” – Edgar Allan Poe
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 08:04:29 pm »

Come come sir, you're a Steampunk! This is a fine opportunity to create your own custom built terrarium planting and pruning tools. As BlackIris said you can make use of such items as chopsticks, and by lashing tea spoons and the business end of a fork to lengths of dowel you can make a range of useful tools.

I've made many a terrarium in my time though none as small as your delightful offering (very nice) and they all had good access so even with the plants which ran riot I didn't have any pruning problems, so I'm sorry to say I can't help on that point.

ThriftyVictorian
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 02:04:13 am »

Alas! My plant has perished. It was rather neglected, I'm afraid - and now, I will make an attempt at a moss planting, which should present very few problems of pruning. If this moss somehow fails, I shall indeed venture towards the Violet Barn, I think you for your advice.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 06:58:48 pm »

Terrarium plants shouldn't need a lot of attention, that's one of the beauties of the art. What caused it's demise?
ThriftyVictorian
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:05:28 pm »

It appears to have rotted.
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 07:50:57 pm »

Mold in the soil, perhaps?

This thread has got me to thinking of trying this myself, though  I may cheat and get a so-called dinosaur plant. Neglect them and they just go dormant; they're very hard to kill. Considering my usual luck with plants (dead in a week Embarrassed ), that would be a huge plus.

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
ThriftyVictorian
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 08:44:24 pm »

Well, I have cleaned out all the soil and am trying again with a generous clod? of moss found in my yard, will report progress! Surely I won't be able to kill moss? I have grown vegetables and propagated exotic fruit bushes in the past! But not in a terranium. (Although that would be very neat.)
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 06:42:38 pm »

It appears to have rotted.
Too wet?
ThriftyVictorian
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 06:31:52 pm »

It may well have been too wet. And, alas, trying to pour off some excess water on my moss planting yesterday night, I caused the whole thing to be jumbled about - and - today there is snow on the ground here. So either this moss I have now some how survives, or I am out of luck again...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: