The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 09:29:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How (best) to make an earpiece?  (Read 975 times)
Kingdom Swift
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 30, 2012, 05:02:58 pm »

So, in the run up to the Edinburgh fringe I'm working on a few last props for my steampunk band (I've been working on props for a friend's sadly non-steampunk film project for the last month, so I have a few supplies left). Anyway, one of the bad members should, in character, have a positronic brain style thing.

Now, I've got the basic design sketched out, and I know how I'm going to make it, but I'm kind of at a loss for how to attach the thing. First, it needs to support a certain amount of weight (it'll need a 9v battery to run!), and secondly, it'll be fairly bulky. My first idea was to bastardise a set of cheap headphones and build it off those, but my issue there is that, well, we play music. We really need to be hearing everything that goes on on stage.

I've a couple of ideas to make it work (a little stiffened leather and some hairpins should do wonders), but before I start making anything I'd like to see if you guys have any good ideas, so fire away.
Jedediah Solomon
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

If all else fails, get a larger hammer

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 05:41:36 pm »

I realize that this comes somewhat late, but how have you accomplished everything you need to do?  I suggest wiring the 9v Battery remotely, that will take a lot of the weight away. Is the Positronic Neural Unit exposed on that side?If so, it could incorporate much of the Aural device. 

Adventure awaits
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 06:59:40 pm »

Missed this first time round and I am not sure what is being asked to be honest! To secure anything to head, particularly if half is meant to be positronic and steampunk, I would incorporate a monogoggle.

Any pictures of what you did do?

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: