The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 10:14:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miss Holmes is back, she has a blog, and she wants Sherlockians.  (Read 4076 times)
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 02:06:12 am »

Thanks, fellows! I am keeping up here, I promise. Just slowly.

"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 08:37:45 am »

Does anyone know the title of the book [essay?] that was a speculative biography of Dr Watson?

qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 06:28:41 am »

I know Leslie Klinger and Dorothy Sayers each had something to say on the subject, but I'm not sure either wrote a comprehensive biography for him. It's probably referenced somewhere in Baring-Gould's Annotated. I'll keep an eye out as I'm going back over those.
Ebonrook
Gunner

david_haddon
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 02:49:31 am »

Interesting that you use the term Sherlockian when I prefer the term Holmesian hehe. My return to this forum after a long hiatus was actually to post a bit of art I did recently inspired by the Further Adventures book the Veiled Detective. Have you read that one? It's a rather interesting take, a kind of "alternate reality" story. Definitely not a story one could try to squeeze into the canon like some others, but great fun none the less.
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 03:01:48 am »

I understand it's regional. Americans tend to use "Sherlockian." I use them somewhat interchangeably.
And I do like that shirt! May have to pick one up. I lack a Holmes in my nerdyshirt collection.
I don't have a copy of the Veiled Detective, but it'll be going on my list. My impossible quest involves reading ALL the pastiche. Yeep.
Ebonrook
Gunner

david_haddon
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 03:16:23 am »

I understand it's regional. Americans tend to use "Sherlockian." I use them somewhat interchangeably.
And I do like that shirt! May have to pick one up. I lack a Holmes in my nerdyshirt collection.
I don't have a copy of the Veiled Detective, but it'll be going on my list. My impossible quest involves reading ALL the pastiche. Yeep.

There are some really not worth reading (in my opinion) for example, 7% Solution, never cared for it.

Have you read Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman? It's a short story, it's in the Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
Which is full of, peculiar and more fanciful stories than normal.
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2013, 03:22:46 am »

That's certainly the truth.  Roll Eyes I didn't say I intended to read and finish them.

I have read it, and it's one of my favourites. I copied it out by hand on parchment once, illuminated and bound it, and I meant to send it to Mr Gaiman, but the lovely thing disappeared into the impenetrable depths of the storage unit, possibly never to be seen again.
Ebonrook
Gunner

david_haddon
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2013, 03:44:45 am »

That's both awesome and a shame. Does Kim Newman's Moriarty book count as pastiche for you? I've yet to read it but I hear good things, and I've started on Anno Dracula so I know he's a good writer.

Titan Books publishes the Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes which seem fun. I've only read two so far though, the Veiled Detective, which is kind of an alternate reality/history starting with Watson meeting Holmes and going through pretty much their lives together.

The other I've read is Sherlock Holmes; The War of the Worlds, which actually treats H. G. Wells' story as a fictionalisation of the events that Holmes deals with. The story treats Wells as a charlatan from Watson's point of view and the story is composed of chapters written by Watson and... the guy whose name I forget who narrates the Prof. Challenger stories. (I forgot to mention that Challenger is in this didn't I) It's a fun story, quite well detailed and thought out. Compares the characters Holmes and Challenger really well and I would even go as far to say that despite the Martians wouldn't be difficult to squeeze into your own canon somewhere. I mean other than the Martians there isn't much that is too much of a stretch on the character.

Sorry wrote a lot more there then I meant to...
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2013, 08:44:01 pm »

It absolutely does.
I feel like I've read Anno Dracula, but I'm not sure. I know I've read The Holmes-Dracula File (Saberhagen), which I found silly, but very enjoyable.
Challenger was narrated by Malone. Smiley And that sounds absolutely amazing. I always kind of wondered how Holmes and Challenger would  play against one another. "Despite the Martians" should me a more often-used phrase.
*expands the List*
Ebonrook
Gunner

david_haddon
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2013, 09:02:11 pm »

Malone! Of course!

In my defence I was quite tired when writing that post, too tired to pick up the book from my shelf.

I have not yet read anything Holmes/Dracula like yet, I know there are a couple of books that collect Holmes/Horror/Dark Fantasy stories. I have one which is the Improbable Adventures. I believe there is one called Shadows over Baker Street which holds some interest for me too.

I am quite a Lovecraft enthusiast so as you can imagine Study in Emerald and stories like it have a lot of attraction for me mixing elements of two of my childhood favorites.
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 04:09:33 pm »

No worries. We all have days like that, I'm sure.  Cheesy
I went through an uber-Holmes phase a few years ago, immediately followed by an all-things-Dracula phase, and my obliging roommate chucked Saberhagen at me. His take on Frankenstein is very good, too, if you skip the last chapter or so, which was extremely off-putting.

I never really had a chance to read much Lovecraft, though I did pick some up at the library a bit ago. *bad S'punk* Means I'm probably missing quite a bit when I read derivatives. D:
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 10:30:19 pm »

Very hearty "Happy Birthday" wishes to our dear, departed friend Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, born this day, May 22, 1859. He'd be 154 years old today!

(Please also see my new thread, "Happy Birthday, Dr. Doyle!", at:  http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,40100.0.html
Don't respond to that thread here, as we need to keep this one on-topic for young Miss Holmes' wonderful work-in-progress...the end result of which I am eagerly anticipating.)
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 04:35:29 pm »

Oh, poot, I missed it!
I mean, I was aware and meant to do something interesting, but the date rolled around, and I forgot completely.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 11:47:45 pm »

No worries, dear Lady. It caught me off-guard as well, and I only barely caught it in time.

You can still respond to the birthday query on the other thread, however, if you still want to commemorate the event.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 10:39:43 am »

@Mad Miss Holmes:

We haven't seen anything from you in quite some time, so I'm wondering if you have any news on your project?

p.s. It has come to my attention that you are a Texan; if you are ever in the Houston area, you might wish to stop by an independent shop called Murder by the Book. All mystery, all the time, and (most) of the Holmes books are in their own section. (Also, definitely a place that would stock your book once it's out...)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:15:37 am by GCCC » Logged
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 11:00:14 am »

Addendum:

Forgive me if you've seen this, but this site seems dedicated to Holmesian pastiche:

http://sherlockian-book-reviews.tumblr.com/

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 02:19:42 am »

...AAAANND I just keep finding stuff for you...

Emma Jane Holloway has a Steampunk niece of Holmes in the series The Baskerville Affair; three books so far: A Study in Silks, A Study in Darkness, and A Study in Ashes.

I don't know if these three are "it", or if more are forthcoming.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 10:27:48 am »

Just a little tread necromancy to ask your opinions of the 'new Sherlock Holmes novel' House of Silk? I enjoyed it, thought it was a great homage to the original books and the idea of it being a Holmes case which Watson wouldn't allow to be published until 100 years had elapsed for political reasons was a nice touch.

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2014, 02:33:09 pm »

Hadn't heard of it. Thanks for the heads-up!

Who's the author?
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2014, 03:26:13 pm »

Oh my!!!

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 03:43:05 pm »

qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2015, 08:44:31 pm »

*appallingly late*

I've actually only just read House of Silk, and I certainly enjoyed it. It touched on some issues that had always irritated me just a bit - for instance, Holmes' cavalier attitude toward sending his Irregulars out chasing murderers when the oldest of them couldn't have been more than sixteen or seventeen.

It was a bit dark in places, but Horowitz has pleased me, so I'll be watching for a copy of Moriarty, as well.

And finally, in very much overdue reference to my original post: It Begins
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: