The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 06:52:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miss Holmes is back, she has a blog, and she wants Sherlockians.  (Read 4073 times)
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« on: July 27, 2012, 04:03:40 am »

Yes, that's right. I got hit in the face with real life, got lost in Nebraska, cut all my hair off, and as a result, completely forgot about dear old BG.

Months later, as I sat at my desk and grappled with approximately twenty pounds of WS Baring-Gould and nearly equal quantities of Doyle, James, and King, despairing of getting through a decent amount of research within my lifetime, I recalled these hallowed halls and thence returned to seek the wisdom of like minds.

The upshot is that I'm writing a book - fiction, pastiche, feminist. I need reading recommendations and contacts, if possible. I welcome any Holmesian authority willing to tolerate a very long series of questions both relevant and inane. Politics, cooking, militaria, criminology, phrenology, women's suffrage... whatever. Right now, I'm at the stuff-my-head-with-as-much-as-possible stage, but even so, there is just too much out there, and most of it seems to be trash.

The blog mentioned in the thread title can be found at http://always1895.wordpress.com. My intention is to log my research and writing progress as this thing comes together. Failing that, I'll flail away at the keyboard and post whatever vaguely Holmesian topic results.

Anyway, helpful parties may post here or send me a private message; I do intend to be checking BG occasionally, now that I've remembered that it's here.

Whimsically yours,
Miss Holmes

"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:10:23 pm »

Welcome back Ms Holmes, it is always good to see original BG members returning to the fold - and good luck with the new book!  markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:03:19 pm »

Thank you, Mark! It's lovely to be back. I had been feeling for some time that there was something missing in my life, and I think it might have been Gogglers.
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 12:42:35 pm »

If I may, I would recommend the Project Gutenberg collection of "Punch" which includes plenty of numbers from the 1890's. I don't recall Sherlock ever displaying very much in the way of a sense of humour but I'm sure Dr. Watson was no different from generations of students of medicine in having a wry practical wit, and I would imagine even Sherlock might turn its pages for pleasant distraction from more serious cogitations.

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 08:26:01 pm »

Ooh, I didn't know Gutenberg had Punch. I'd snag a few just for my own amusement!  Cheesy
TheDeeMan
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 10:26:11 am »

Welcome back. Good luck. And I'll check out the blog from time to time.

Dee

Murder. Mystery. Adventure. Steampunk
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/The_Continentals
Updates on Mondays
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 11:57:27 am »

How broad is the Holmes-ian remit?

Are you interested in apocrypha such as Holmes vs Fu Manchu:-

Or obscure TV series like the Baker Street Boys
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Baker_Street_Boys

Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 02:19:15 pm »

Sounds like a very interesting project, I wish you the best of luck with your book.

I am a PhD archaeology student, researching Victorian cemeteries, funerary customs and attitudes towards death. If you ever need help or information with anything vaguely related to these areas please do not hesitate to ask.

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 06:14:29 pm »

Thanks, Dee! I'll need all the luck I can get.

Neon: Right now, I'm consuming everything I can get my hands on. If it's any indication, I've already gone back and watched the Wishbone episodes, and I'm knee-deep in Laurie R. King (and her exceptional, if unorthodox, interpretation of the Detective's retirement).
I'm going to have to dig up a copy of that book...

Phoenix: Thank you! That sounds like a fascinating area; I might well be drawing on that generous offer of your expertise.
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 07:07:56 pm »

Sounds like a very interesting project, I wish you the best of luck with your book.

I am a PhD archaeology student, researching Victorian cemeteries, funerary customs and attitudes towards death. If you ever need help or information with anything vaguely related to these areas please do not hesitate to ask.

Blimey another postgrad archaeologist - most excellent Smiley

Just out of interest ...... on the topic of your victorian cemeteries ....... ever been to Undercliffe Cemetery in Bradford?
Its an EH listed site and very very worth a visit Smiley

@ Mad Miss Holmes - good looking blog Smiley I'll bookmark for further perusal  Smiley

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 07:04:27 pm »

Blimey another postgrad archaeologist - most excellent Smiley

Just out of interest ...... on the topic of your victorian cemeteries ....... ever been to Undercliffe Cemetery in Bradford?
Its an EH listed site and very very worth a visit Smiley

It's on my to visit list! I might be going to Bradford next month, if that happens I'll be sure to go and explore it!

Are you also a post-grad archaeologist? What are you researching?

Miss Holmes, I'm sorry for the thread hijacking!
If you are looking at such a broad range of Sherlockian material, I recommend Neil Gaiman's short story A study in Emerald. Sherlock Holmes meets H. P. Lovecraft =]
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 07:40:24 pm »

Not at all! As an anthropologist myself (not yet post-grad, though that is on the life list) and a habitual thread-hijacker, I certainly cannot complain.

Professor Wychlock: Thanks, I put lots of effort into selecting that format. Wink

Phoenix: Oh, yes, that's one of my favourites! I copied it out by hand and bound it with the intention of sending it to Mr Gaiman, but at some point, I lost it.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 11:07:47 pm »

Not at all! As an anthropologist myself (not yet post-grad, though that is on the life list) and a habitual thread-hijacker, I certainly cannot complain.

Professor Wychlock: Thanks, I put lots of effort into selecting that format. Wink

Phoenix: Oh, yes, that's one of my favourites! I copied it out by hand and bound it with the intention of sending it to Mr Gaiman, but at some point, I lost it.

Oh wonderful, I like to feel that archaeologists and anthropologists are kindred spirits =]

It's a real shame you lost your handwritten copy, that sounds like a fabulous idea.
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 12:44:05 am »

I certainly like to think so. Archaeology is, after all, one of the branches of anthropology. One of the reasons I haven't yet completed my education in that area is that the college in question wouldn't let me come back until I'd decided between archaeology and cultural anthropology. (So I suppose my fondness of that position is based in part on my own indecision...)  Roll Eyes Picky, picky.

It was a disappointment, yes. It'll probably turn up in one of the innumerable boxes someday.
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral

What Watt ?!

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 09:08:00 am »

@FP - medieval guildhalls and a few bits of industrial too

@MMH - it's nice and clean and not too fussy. *following*

@both - anthro and archaeo in the same thread - most excellent Smiley
citizen_erased
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

kojitmal
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 11:58:09 am »

If you want information on anything Sherlock Holmes related, look up the Baker Street Babes. They tend to make these huge lists of things to read/watch, they compile information, provide source material, they have podcasts as well if that`s your kind of thing.

They have their own website/blog/thingy, and tumblr, twitter, etc, and they answer questions from people all the time so I`m pretty sure you can ask them anything. Here`s their website: http://www.bakerstreetbabes.com/

There`s also the Baker Street Journal, and loads of other online information sources like these for anything Sherlock Holmes.

Sometimes I vlog: www.youtube.com/realkojitmal
(I even once did a steampunk related video!)

There`s a blog too: http://kojitmal.wordpress.com
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 04:18:33 pm »

I'm just absolutely thrilled that there exists such a thing as "Baker Street Babes." I know what I'm going to be doing for the next forty-eight hours. I'm not sure how podcasts work, but it looks like that might be the next thing on my 'figure out' list.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 12:56:34 am »

How broad is the Holmes-ian remit?

Are you interested in apocrypha such as Holmes vs Fu Manchu:-

Or obscure TV series like the Baker Street Boys
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Baker_Street_Boys

Dear Mad Miss Holmes,

I hope your excellent blog will feature apocrypha like the Cay van Ash books.  Some of these are amazingly welcome to those of us who despaired of the fact that there would never be another new Holmes story, in the days when the Baker Street world taught us to love Steampunk before we ever heard the term.  Hearing of the new 'Study in Scarlet' classic 'spiced up' with sexuality, I fear Conan Doyle would spin in his grave, and there have been many ill-advised attempts to bring the canon up to date.  Perhaps you could compile a list?  'Flashman and the Tiger' has an enjoyable Holmes cameo in it.  Vernay's 'Sherlock Holmes; the Versailles Vision' seems at times to be channelled by Conan Doyle from the spirit world.  And the first three Irene Adler books by Carole Nelson Douglas are not unharmonious.  There's one about the Titanic, too.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 03:41:29 pm »

Oh, yes, pastiche is good! In fact, that's rather the whole point! I really should start compiling a list... *goatee-stroke* Book reviews might be a good addition to the blog, and it might give me some good ideas of what to avoid in my own work. I like this idea.
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 09:37:00 pm »

Oh, yes, pastiche is good! In fact, that's rather the whole point! I really should start compiling a list... *goatee-stroke* Book reviews might be a good addition to the blog, and it might give me some good ideas of what to avoid in my own work. I like this idea.

Not to mention the Sherlock Holmes and the Nazis trope as featured in the later Basil Rathbone films like "Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon"

From IMDB
Starting in Switzerland, Sherlock Holmes rescues the inventor of a bomb-sight which the allies want to keep from the Nazis. Back in London it sems that the inventor is not all that he seemed.

qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 10:17:32 pm »

Cheesy Yes, I remember that one! Like most of the Rathbones, it inspired more giggles than edge-of-my-seat moments, but I always did like the idea of Holmes facing off against the Nazis.
And, given that he's totally immortal, it's not all that implausible.
Mark F
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

Steampunk writer http://brassbolts.blogspot.com/

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 10:49:48 pm »

Not to mention the Sherlock Holmes and the Nazis trope as featured in the later Basil Rathbone films like "Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon"

From IMDB
Starting in Switzerland, Sherlock Holmes rescues the inventor of a bomb-sight which the allies want to keep from the Nazis. Back in London it sems that the inventor is not all that he seemed.

That's actually pretty funny, not long back I heard about the story of the Norden Bombsight in a TED talk given by Malcom Gladwell.

http://www.ted.com/talks/malcolm_gladwell.html

The basic upshot of the story was that the US government spent billions (it was one of the most expensive wartime programs) to build a mechanical-computer sight that could drop a bomb into a pickle barrel. In practice it was an absolute winner. They were so determined to protect it they had a thermite grenade installed inside each sight so the bombardier could destroy it if they were shot down, they even went so far as to disable the flotation devices on certain aircraft so the plane would sink rather than float in the case of a water landing.

In practice they were no more effective than a normal bombsight. The pilot had to fly straight and level for several minutes while the bombardier calibrated the sight, until they were over the target. Fine on practice runs, but when engaging enemy fighters and flak, tantamount to suicide. In effective combat terms, it was probably slightly less effective than a cheap optical sight.

Visit my blog for the free web-serial, Orphans of the Celestial Sea, chronicling the the adventures of Tom Cain and his misfit crew as they seek to unravel the mysteries surrounding their airship Hecate and the plague of psychosis-inducing Mist which is slowly destroying human civilization.

Episode 4 up now, at http://brassbolts.blogspot.com/
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 08:39:37 pm »

The japanese manga of Sherlock!

http://io9.com/5940011/japans-getting-a-manga-adaptation-of-sherlock?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Dcotor Who Sherlock Crossovers!

http://io9.com/5939767/these-fan+made-doctor-whosherlock-crossovers-will-make-you-laugh-sigh-and-ship-wholock?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 04:24:30 am »

Maybe these fine people can help.

http://www.sherlock-holmes.org.uk/

Your Hell, is my paradise.
Ulysses Reynolds
Zeppelin Captain

Just keep on flying.

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 09:56:17 pm »

I gotta say after taking a look at your blog, I have to admit I like it. It's intelligently written and full of the analysis that I love. Plus Holmes, who doesn't like Holmes. I'm definitely going to be following it. Smiley

There is a reason for this. And trust me, when a bunch of harry potter geeks think your fucking retarded, you know there is something wrong.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: