The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 25, 2019, 03:37:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What flag would be born by a British Royal Huntsman?  (Read 4648 times)
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« on: July 26, 2012, 09:45:50 am »

I have for all of your perusal a quaint question: what flag would be born by a British Royal Huntsman? Huntsman, in this case, being more of a Assassin/Sniper/Rifleman sponsored by the Crown Wink Caveats: obviously, for the purpose of discussion, we shall assume such a job/station/post exists - to my knowledge, there's no such thing Wink Secondly, it would be in the Victorian England of Steampunk fare.

This is a question I have for a second Steampunk costume I will be making, given that I consider Torvald Faust virtually finished and I recently purchased a very fine rifle. The flag will be visible somewhere on the costume, but I do not have a clue how big it will be displayed just yet. I have a few candidates myself:

Any and all, feel free to share your ideas. Else I would not be posting this here Wink
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:13:04 pm by Torvald_Faust » Logged

Dante Coal
Officer
United States United States

Forever a martyr

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 01:31:49 pm »

Perhaps something like the 1st Dragoon flag you have there. modifications of course, but it seems to me that a bird of prey would be suited to such a rank and title.

maybe some stylized falcon, eagle, or hawk. embellishments could be symbols of the hunt; a horn, cross hairs, arrowheads, a foot print or track, ect.

regards,
Dante   

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Ant
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 01:53:12 pm »

If you want to look into using a regimental flag, I would strongly recommend you research why the regimental flags look the way they do.

Probably you'll realise you can stick what you want on it.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 02:40:04 pm »

Perhaps something like the 1st Dragoon flag you have there. modifications of course, but it seems to me that a bird of prey would be suited to such a rank and title.

maybe some stylized falcon, eagle, or hawk. embellishments could be symbols of the hunt; a horn, cross hairs, arrowheads, a foot print or track, ect.

Thanks for the ideas! I hope to find something relatively simple, but I am 'afraid' I might resort to things such as you suggest Wink

If you want to look into using a regimental flag, I would strongly recommend you research why the regimental flags look the way they do.

Probably you'll realise you can stick what you want on it.

Actually, I do not want my Huntsman to show any regiment. I figure he works for the (whole of the) country, not any given regiment Wink Which brings me to the idea of using Royal Arms of England Smiley

(And in the mean time, I am also thinking of a name for this new persona. For now, I be thinking 'Eustace Hargrave'.)
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 03:49:44 pm »

I figure he works for the (whole of the) country

Have you thought of using the 'Lion and Unicorn' the Royal coat of arms of 'The United Kingdom' ? Complete with he latin inscriptions 'Honi  soit qui mal y pense' (Evil to him who evil thinks evil) and 'Dieu et mon droit' (God and my Right).

There are various versions..some easier to turn into a emblem/patch than others.. these are just a few variations but  if you do a Google image search for 'Lion and Unicorn' you'll see many more variations to inspire you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 03:53:08 pm »

...actually, no, I had not though of that Cheesy

Thank you, ser, for that most excelent idea! Originally, I figured this could be an 'easy' costume, with many things I have already, but the concept is slowly growing Wink
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 10:25:55 pm »

If this is a unit of assassin/sniper types reporting to no regiment, perhaps a crown on a black field?
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 10:49:30 pm »

If this is a unit of assassin/sniper types reporting to no regiment, perhaps a crown on a black field?

I would personally advise against that, since crowns are used to denote ranks within the British Army officer class and so if you were to use a crown their could easily be confusion between regiment/detachment and rank. Personally I'd advise using either the Union Jack or Royal Standard, depending on whom he reports to, either the government or the queen directly if you don't want to use a regimental standard.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 10:58:51 pm »

Though in and of itself, that would be very nice, I think I would combine it with something - do not ask me why, but I want to give a specific British air about it all Wink

I would personally advise against that, since crowns are used to denote ranks within the British Army officer class and so if you were to use a crown their could easily be confusion between regiment/detachment and rank. Personally I'd advise using either the Union Jack or Royal Standard, depending on whom he reports to, either the government or the queen directly if you don't want to use a regimental standard.
Thanks for that nugget of information - that moves me further away from using that idea, I am afraid. The Union Jack and Royal Standard still have my preference.
HR
Zeppelin Captain

If at first you dont succeed, hit it with a hammer

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 11:31:43 pm »

The British army "marksman" badge is crossed rifles often with an S above, perhaps combines with the three lions (actualy leopards) or the complete royal coat of arms.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 09:09:23 am »

I would rather combine them with the former - lends for a cleaner, less cluttered look. At the moment, I think I would do two patches; one to indicate 'unit type', e.g. the crossed rifles you propose, combined with the three big cats. Esspecially since for the latter, I have found a nice source.
Captain Braid
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 05:36:54 pm »

Huntsman, in this case, being more of a Assassin/Sniper/Rifleman sponsored by the Crown Wink Caveats: obviously, for the purpose of discussion, we shall assume such a job/station/post exists - to my knowledge, there's no such thing.
{The King's or Queens Equerry have had to undertake some 'discreet' tasks in the past}

Well thinking that the role is Huntsman the motto "Ego peto meus preda". {I Seek My Prey} would strike me as appropriate.
As for being a discreet or clandestine role there would be no Heraldry or badge of arms, but something like a Coronet summounting Crossed Rifles reversed on a black ground would be close to the thing.

Experienced enough to know my limitations,
Old enough to know better,
Relaxed enough not to care.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 08:25:02 pm »

I agree two patches would be appropriate. One to denote the skill / role and that would incorporate maybe crossed rifles and indicate sharpshooter / marksman status. The other patch would indicate the unit which as you say is UK wide (so England only insignia - eg 3 lions - would be inappropriate.) Clandestine and suppression outside the UK borders is the domain of MI6 these days, so maybe you could envision your character being an early member of Military Intelligence. The present agency started in the early 20th century but there has been a British intelligence service which involved itself in the secrets and agents of foriegn powers back into the 15th century, so a 19th century, entirely clandestine service is completely feasible. <Update> For background on Victorian British (and Russian) military intelligence, have a look at "The Great Game" the story of espionage and counter espionage in Afghanistan during the 19th C.

Their badge looks like this:

and it incorporates the lion and unicorn as the Capt. suggests. It is a bit of a British thing but the kind of work you are talking about is often undertaken at a level underneath the state, so the Union flag, suggesting as it does parliamentary approval is not really appropriate and the more subtle lion and unicorn is a clear shorthand to us Brits whilst not being obvious to others.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:26:21 am by Angus A Fitziron » Logged

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
CPT CAVEMAN
Deck Hand

avocatus diaboli

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 12:04:00 pm »

Royal Green Jackets evolved from the King's Royal Rifle Corps, raised to fight American's during the Revolution.

“People don’t like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don’t run, don’t walk. We’re in their homes and in their heads and we haven’t the right. We’re meddlesome.” – River Tam, Serenity
CPT CAVEMAN
Deck Hand

avocatus diaboli

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 12:06:53 pm »

Their uniform, 1896

Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 10:08:25 am »

Gentlemen, thanks, once more, for all of the suggestions Smiley I think the Three Lions patch is a defenite go, but next to that, I am torn between cobbling a patch together as per Braid his suggestion or going with the MI6 one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: