The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 09:34:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom Mirrored Coated Lenses For Social Obscurity  (Read 760 times)
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« on: July 25, 2012, 12:52:39 am »

Thanks to a little a help I have finally managed to find the following style of glassesthat Id been searching for some time - but there is one problem ...and that is I dont like the lens .

With this in mind then , I wanted to ask the fine folk of forum here what their suggestions would be on how to replace it , " economically " or via cheaper services than the standard $100 plus I see advertised on the web ?

Thanks

o4

" You can lose every battle except that last " Sir Malcolm , Penny Dreadful
Rushing's Rarities
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Formerly "superbill22"

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 01:29:24 am »

I've heard of folks using DIY automotive tinting (available online and at automotive stores) on glasses to get a mirrored finish, though, it would likely make the tinting already on the glasses much darker in the process.

Dr. Munro
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:50:28 pm »

$100 is an obscene price to pay!  As somebody who works in optics I can tell you that anybody that pays that is being fleeced.  We charge for colours and UV coatings £24.  The cost of plano lenses should be next to nothing seeing as how they are flat sheets of CR39.  Prescription lenses from us cost £39.
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:49:05 pm »

$100 is an obscene price to pay!  As somebody who works in optics I can tell you that anybody that pays that is being fleeced.  We charge for colours and UV coatings £24.  The cost of plano lenses should be next to nothing seeing as how they are flat sheets of CR39.  Prescription lenses from us cost £39.

As the caterpillar said, " wHOo arEEe YouUUu " ?  Cheesy

P.S. I dont suppose any of gentlemen know where one would acquire any of those rubber side shields shown in my link ?

I tend to like gunmetal , but I am not a fan of the shields shown here.

o4
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:52:39 pm by 4_0_4 » Logged
PatronZero
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 04:43:01 am »

My question would be how easily are the frames disassembled ?   if not a major task then consider having several set of lenses cut as such could be 'coloured' to fit the seasons or the environment as need be.

Have you a university nearby with an optical-optometry school, if so then posting a notice for needing said lenses cut and prepared might be an excellent way to cut your expenses.

As to the side-shields, have you considered copying-casting such in resin ?  That might be one avenue for your personal needs as well as a nice little enterprise to further fund your wardrobe outfitting.
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »

My question would be how easily are the frames disassembled ?   if not a major task then consider having several set of lenses cut as such could be 'coloured' to fit the seasons or the environment as need be.

Have you a university nearby with an optical-optometry school, if so then posting a notice for needing said lenses cut and prepared might be an excellent way to cut your expenses.

As to the side-shields, have you considered copying-casting such in resin ?  That might be one avenue for your personal needs as well as a nice little enterprise to further fund your wardrobe outfitting.
hello,

Im not sure how easily are the frames disassembled , I asked the seller and he didnt know if the lenses were even removable, maybe I can try to get his suppliers name .

No Unis here - im in the boonies oop here , maybe theres some amateur enthusiasts elsewhere ?

No experience in resin casting but it looks quite simple -if all I need is some modelling clay, polyurethane resin , and the shield part to indent it with- the lenses will be more tricky Sad

o4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: