The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 01:54:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Knives  (Read 5568 times)
MrMetalBurrito
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: July 09, 2012, 01:15:54 pm »

asdf
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:33:19 am by MrMetalBurrito » Logged
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 02:15:51 pm »

I've got a sheffield folder that'd not look out of place in a steampunk setting - I'll try and get a picture up later.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 02:39:17 pm »

Andre Andersson makes quite impressive looking "art knifes" and some of them have also very steampunkish details.

http://www.northlandknives.se/pages.asp?page=gallery&album_id=52

This was my own favourite: http://www.northlandknives.se/pages.asp?page=gallery&bild_id=234&album_id=52
MrMetalBurrito
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 05:31:27 pm »

asdf
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:33:12 am by MrMetalBurrito » Logged
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 05:45:30 pm »

Andre Andersson makes quite impressive looking "art knifes" and some of them have also very steampunkish details.

This was my own favourite: http://www.northlandknives.se/pages.asp?page=gallery&bild_id=234&album_id=52

WOW!  The "Space Cowboy" ("Firefly" reference here?) is my favourite as well!  Don't you need a special licence to make something that pretty?

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 09:36:29 pm »

Damascus steel is incredibly steampunk. I'd love to get a Damascus stockman with bone handles, but that'd set me back a few hundred dollars, haha.

Correct on that price. I know a gentleman in Arizona who hand crafts them. Most of his are sold before he starts the piece.

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 06:51:50 am »

WOW!  The "Space Cowboy" ("Firefly" reference here?) is my favourite as well!  Don't you need a special licence to make something that pretty?

We won't argue then, I just want the Earth.
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 05:19:36 pm »

I was just reading one knife makers messageboard and saw this very good looking folding knife.

http://petermartinknives.com/Available%20Knives/Steampunk%20Folder/Steampunk%20Folder.htm

Tubes, watchparts and other small details look very nice with pattern welded steel.
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 03:31:00 am »

Sure as truth, it's not a pocket knife, but it's Steampunk to me!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lock back and friction lock knives are great. I'd love to find a good, non-stainless laguiole. The little bee makes me happy. Cheesy
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 06:53:51 am »

Interestingly enough, Bowie's knife was actually a pretty common design back at that time; they called the type "Belly Rippers." Bowie's knife became famous because of the battles (and it must be admitted, brawls) he fought in and the big deal the press made of the Texian struggle back east. The type of knife became identified with the man, partly because according to the legend, he forged it himself from a meteorite he found. Even though almost everybody carried a big knife, dagger, or dirk (and some looked almost identical to his - broad, foot-long or more blade, clipped point, single edge, often with a pronounced curve on teh point, some with and some without a hand guard), his name got attached to it, and still persists today.

Just saying... (shut UP, MW...)

----
Pertinent to topic, I habitually carry either a Case hunter type folding friction pocketknife with staghorn scales and watered damnascus blades, or a white-enamel hunter type off-brand Case look alike (long story) with chromed blades. For the Period musical performances, I keep a throwing hawk (things have a million uses beyond a thrown weapon) stuck in my belt and a scottish dirk-like work knife in a sheath that hangs from the strap of my possibles bag. Sometimes I wear my commemorative Crockett Bowie, but i"ve been leaving it increasingly at home the last couple of years (most folks tend to quietly leave heavy props at home the more they have to trek several miles to the performance location; it quite literally becomes more trouble than it's worth, especially in warm or hot weather).

The hawk does the same jobs as the bowie, and for a lot less weight, and the work knife can handle anything the hawk can't, usually.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:11:22 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 07:55:23 am »

(Toma) hawk?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 08:43:58 pm »

(Toma) hawk?

Ah. Yes. Please pardon my descent into jargon.
Miss Hattbox
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

"The British Army runs on tea... get brewing!"

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 02:09:59 pm »

I've got a sheffield folder that'd not look out of place in a steampunk setting - I'll try and get a picture up later.

How do you get round the 2" laws in the UK? I have a very handsome wood and brass folding knife but its 4", its never left the house!
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 04:06:16 am »

Trying to remember if Swiss Army knives fall into the Steampunk era...I think they do...
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 08:52:06 am »

I have a Schrade Uncle Henry LB7 locking folder, which I found in truly appalling condition, corroded, immovable and covered in guck, at a backyard sale in, of all places, La Manzanilla, Jalisco, Mexico, for some ridiculous price like 15 Pesos (about $1.20). Cleaned up, refurbished, oiled and sharpened, it's a good honest hard-working utility knife; it weighs about 2lbs (well, maybe I exaggerate a little), will hack its way through just about anything, and nowadays I never leave home without it.

I looked up Schrade Uncle Henry's on the Internet, and I can't find any of the standard models that exactly match mine, with its walnut grip. I suspect it may have been rebuilt at some point during its life. Whatever, it's a grand knife, with a suitably Steampunkish look to it.

Athanor  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:47:49 am by Athanor » Logged

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
Derk Yall
Snr. Officer
Czech Republic Czech Republic

Commodore - Imperial Navy

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 08:52:23 am »

Pakled: If you like them, they are steampunk. There was not a steampunk era in history, the steampunk era is now. Wink If you were talking about Victorian or Franz-Josefian era, that would be different.

As for knives i have some homemade knives wich my grand father made in his youth. Sometime when I go into the wild I take some old bayonets with me.

Iliya Eldom Spera
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 07:20:23 am »

Trying to remember if Swiss Army knives fall into the Steampunk era...I think they do...
If you mean Victorian era, the Swiss Army knife was invented in the late 1880s, so I'd say yes.

The earlier models are, anyway. The new modern ones with USB drives and LED flashlights? Not so much.

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 03:54:37 am »

I know...Wink I'm still carrying one I bought in the 90s; about 8 blades/pliers/files/etc...Wink I think they'd actually work out as SP with a few 'non-standard' additions like goggle-tighteners, mini-brass telescopes, Kraken hooks, etc...Wink
That'd be a project for the  Tactile forum; to make a 'steam army knife', tho that would be some serious (and precision) work...Wink
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 02:07:22 am »

I just noticed that Andre Andersson has made new very impressive looking revolver knife. (Quite similar like that "Space Cowboy" from my earlier post in few years ago..)

http://www.northlandknives.se/pages.asp?page=gallery&bild_id=703&album_id=81

Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 03:09:02 am »

This design is pre-Victorian, (1750's) but I think it fits the aesthetic quite well.

I really want to try making one of these someday.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
selectedgrub
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 08:45:00 pm »

Leatherman
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 08:48:38 pm »

Leatherman

Don't leave home without one!

Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 03:31:28 pm »

Intend to steam up my hunting knife one day, just nead to figure out how to get rid of that damn coleman logo.

What airship pirate is without a decent knife?

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
hardlec
Snr. Officer

Solutions do not need Problems

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 04:30:23 pm »

If the logo is printed, WD-40 or similar will erase it.  If etched, that's another story.

Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim gun and they have not;
Technology is no substitute for Valor
Both are true.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 04:34:02 pm »

--
Keith
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print