The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 20, 2018, 10:21:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Stars Await - OOC  (Read 18777 times)
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2012, 01:19:02 am »

Not to put too fine a point to it (though I completely am) but the Venus cities would be more of the 'domed/enclosed' variety so you wouldn't come across 'buildings on the edge of town' until you were already docked and 'in town'

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2012, 01:32:07 am »

Makes sense, I guess I missed that at some point.

I'll see if I can edit my last post so it works with this...

---

I've had us arrive near the same entrance Rodger used, hopefully this works.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 02:09:52 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2012, 05:45:45 am »

Please pardon my presumption. Since I am am just a character writer (or whatever the current term is for my function relative to the storyline), I tried to make the hoped-for outcome a suggestion rather than an actual movement of characters other than my own.

I can always rewrite the post if necessary.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2012, 01:01:10 am »

So was it the plan all along to steal the Sabertooth?
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2012, 02:28:26 am »

So was it the plan all along to steal the Sabertooth?

Yes, I was originally going for a 'revenge for destroying our old ship' kind of plot setup.

It's also occurred to me that, at least from the angle of us having been a privateer for the British and thus being allied with them right now, we can technically steal the Sabertooth 'legally', since the Sabertooth is working for the Germans. (Same things with us getting captured by the Germans, I think. The Germans were considering us pirates because they had no proof of us having a Letter of Marque, but from the standpoint of the British authorities we would have been prisoners of war.) I may be totally wrong about whether this would work though, not knowing a whole lot about the specific real-life laws that would apply to this kind of thing.

I'm thinking our actions so far, and what I have planned out, would be in the area of 'legal enough for us not to have to run from authorities, but questionable enough for us to want to avoid their close attention.' Which is roughly what I'm aiming for with the game.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2012, 07:05:49 am »

I think I should point out that we established a little while back that Venus was an ex-French acquisition. It's reasonable that Germans would live and work there but the currency would still be Francs (but independent from the French Franc).
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2012, 07:55:48 am »

I think I should point out that we established a little while back that Venus was an ex-French acquisition. It's reasonable that Germans would live and work there but the currency would still be Francs (but independent from the French Franc).

oops. will fix asap
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2012, 11:01:47 pm »

Had Wallace encounter Roger and mistaking him for a girl on account of his hair.

Actions as a Privateer are legalised piracy in terms of the nation offering the letter of marque

so

British Privateer => To the British = an officer of the Navy but not tied to British military so they can wash their hands of affairs should things go south
British Privateer => To everyone else = a pirate to be hunted down and executed/imprisoned

In regards to being held as prisoners the British Government would have little interest in them as Privateers they are an expendable resource that hold less risk that loosing an officer of the line.

the main thing about privateers was they were free to act outside of the scriptures of warfare and an act of privateering was not seen as a declaration of war between nations, the privateering crew were also permitted to keep the spoils of their exploits both ship and wares where as a ship of the line was require to capture vessels as a prize and "ransom" them to naval command (It was one of the reasons why British Naval officer during the Napoleonic and Independence Wars targeted larger ships than they commanded because of the worth of ransoming the ship or the chance of being awarded the ship as a prize)

I forget the technical term for ransoming of ships right now but you get the basic idea
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2012, 11:30:44 pm »

I'm borrowing the 'radiation leak' ploy from Hunt for the Red October, for Mariah's plan to commandeer the ship. If anyone has a better idea I'm open...

I'm going to assume that Steamcowboy's character is tagging along in the background, since he's away from the internet right now.

---

Oh, and Kaptain Ernst is not forgotten, although we might not be running into him again during this episode... Wink
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:34:49 pm by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2012, 12:34:19 am »

I imagine Roger wouldn't have much of a regard for military convention (both within the military and in relation to civilians) given that Venus' military is pretty small, less traditionalist and largely separate from the rest of society and he would have had little to no interaction with them.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2012, 12:38:29 am »

Is Wallace a double agent? Sabertooth is a German privateer ship, after all.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2012, 12:40:01 am »

I think he's just a hired cook or something. I can't remember his role. I might add that Roger of course doesn't know this and figures he's just a German crewman that sounds like a Brit.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2012, 02:50:19 am »

I figure Lou spotted Corsair and Wallace. What happens after that is up to you all.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2012, 04:50:09 am »

There's 4 of us, but ok.

Not sure how to react, but I'll think of something.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2012, 04:56:21 am »

I was figuring Wallace stepped closer to you to talk so those would have been the easiest shadows to spot. she only popped out of hiding for a moment.
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2012, 12:17:57 pm »

Wallace is a crewman on the Sabretooth a british national and at present working as a cook

As the Sabretooth is a privateer the chance of a multinational crew is very high

considering he doesn't like the German Captain much he's less likely to resist a take over of the ship

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:26:27 pm by Cpt Wallace » Logged
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2012, 01:05:15 pm »

Hold up, wasn't the Sabertooth meant to be official German military? That seems to be what the rest of us have been running with.
Also, how does Wallace know Jemima's name?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:09:17 pm by The Corsair » Logged
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2012, 03:41:44 pm »

The Sabertooth was supposed to be a privateer ship from the beginning. (They were working as a privateer for the British until recently, and switched sides when the new captain took over.)

The ship itself could originally have been an official German military vessel that was captured and turned into a privateer, though. (Which could be why Jemima recognised it as a military vessel, just a thought.)

To be honest it shouldn't matter too much, but that was my original idea.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2012, 04:12:10 pm »

Contrary to the popular belief, the name of the tune actually was originally Dixie's Land, and it was not originally the anthem. It was a popular tune before the Civil War, and got taken up as a sort of rallying tune by the troops, long before it became common to use it as an anthem.

Just a little sidelight...
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2012, 09:22:36 pm »

Contrary to the popular belief, the name of the tune actually was originally Dixie's Land, and it was not originally the anthem. It was a popular tune before the Civil War, and got taken up as a sort of rallying tune by the troops, long before it became common to use it as an anthem.

Just a little sidelight...

It's never boring with you here, Bailey
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2012, 11:08:25 pm »

Thanks... Cheesy
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2012, 05:26:57 am »

I'm thinking that the Sabertooth's departure is going to be somewhat like the Persephone landing from the Serenity movie, but in reverse, meaning the she'll will have to be piloted out at high speed, once she clears the dome and port, and have to dodge the heavy traffic on the way. It wouldn't necessarily be "Hard Burn," of course, given the fact of the Aether-prop type technology of the aether drive (if my assumption about that is correct), but I'd imagine it would have to be a pretty quick departure anyway under the circumstances.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2012, 06:28:40 am »

Couldn't discern whether Lou was specifically by the engines, so I assumed she was.
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2012, 08:46:44 am »

nevermind
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:53:42 am by Cpt Wallace » Logged
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2012, 08:53:51 am »

I assumed Jemima was taken away by a German. It  didn't actually cross my mind that it might be you (Bailey was a bit unclear). It can be you if you want to have just been beat up by a girl Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: