The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 11:07:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Stars Await - OOC  (Read 18411 times)
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Shàlle We Dànce?

« on: July 01, 2012, 05:59:35 pm »

This will be a pirate/privateer/mercenary type roleplay. The setting is a ship and crew making a living somewhere around the gray area of legal operations, and trying to avoid being caught in the conflicts between major political powers of the time. Inspired greatly by Firefly.

It will be set in a universe akin to the Space 1889 RPG and ER Burroughs' Barsoom series, where the solar system's rocky inner planets and moons (and a few asteroids) have breathable atmospheres and native flora and fauna, both intelligent and non. (For those who remember the HMAS Badger RP, this will be a revamp of that setting.)

The technological premise is that space travel was made possible in the 1850s/1860s by the discovery of turbine-like engines that can tap into the power of the aether itself to generate propulsion. Other functions of the aether ships are driven by steam power. (For plot purposes space is also assumed to be a good deal less dangerous than in real life, so that it is possible to develop safe spaceships with the technology of this time.)

The current story will be set in the late Victorian Era, about 30 to 40 years after aether travel was first discovered. By this time many non-earth colonies have been well established, and interplanetary commerce and travel has truly begun to boom. The war fleets of Earth's major industrial powers prowl the aether, and  unscrupulous traders, mercenaries, and pirates haunt the edges of trade routes. But man has only begun to explore a fraction of the new worlds he can reach, and the jungles, deserts, and ruins of these worlds hold a thousand secrets...

---

Character profile format:

Name:

History:

Skills:
Weapons and gadgets:

Clothing/Appearance: (feel free to use this avatar creator website.)

Crew position/desired position:
Old crew or Newcomer: (The story will start with us getting a new ship, you can decide to have been part of the crew of our old ship. I may have some stuff to share via PM with any one who'd like to do this.)

---

I'll keep track of who wants/has what position here.

- Captain/Radio operator (old crew) Alexis Voltaire
- Navigator/Gunner (old crew) MWBailey
- Cook/Gunner (new crew) Cpt Wallace
- Quartermaster (new crew) steamcowboy92
- Mechanic (old crew)  Stella Gaslight
- engineer/mechanic (new crew) The Corsair
- Medic/Doctor (new crew) The Corsair
- Gunner/mechanic/navigator Andrew Styles

NPC crew (by position and name)

Bridge Ensign - Heinrich Ayuuto
Crewman - Bilge (AKA Archibald Fitzherbert the third)
Crewman / Gunner - Morisson
Crewman / Gunner - Jameson
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 04:47:52 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:23:11 pm »

Interesting!

I'd love to make a new character for this. Most likely a (former, supposedly) browncoat pilot type, now a scout/crewman/gunman/spare pilot type crewmember on the ship. (I'd imagine all of the crew would most likely "wear multiple hats," so to speak; is that correct?).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:38:57 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:54:19 pm »

So will this be the same format as the other forum RPs but with character sheets?
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 08:04:27 pm »

This will be a freeform RP like the others on this forum, I guess what I meant is character profiles. (just a format for basic info about your character.) I'll edit the first post to fix this.
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:06:44 pm »

Oh right! Sorry, that makes sense Wink
I've been spending far too long reading source-books Shocked
~Longeye~
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 08:22:42 pm »

Interesting!

I'd love to make a new character for this. Most likely a (former, supposedly) browncoat pilot type, now a scout/crewman/gunman/spare pilot type crewmember on the ship. (I'd imagine all of the crew would most likely "wear multiple hats," so to speak; is that correct?).

Sounds great! And yes, having multiple skills would make sense. (both in-story and for plot purposes, if we only get a few people having characters with multiple skills will make things easier to run.)

---

I'll be posting a character profile format and potential crew positions soon.

The first part of the story will likely center around us escaping from capture and 'acquiring' a new ship, so characters can be part of the 'old crew' or newcomers.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 03:57:33 pm »

Character profile format and related data has been added to the first post. (I'll post my profile at some point soon.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:02:09 pm by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:33:24 pm »

Name: M. W. Bailey
Sex: Male

History: Served as a diveship pilot on the rebel side of a  recent ‘Unpleasantness’ between the government and a group of dissenting planetary residents. The conflict ended in an armistice, and the rebel forces were disbanded. Some were imprisoned for their units’ “crimes, ” most were let go under Lincoln’s “Clemency Directive.”  Joined the crew after punting around in various mercenary/merchant pilot, fleet soldier, and solo jobs.

Skills: Piloting/Navigation of and for both aetheric and troposheric craft/proficient fighter, esp. with longarm, pistol or saber/cutlass/dirk. Proficient at using ordinary items as weapons.
Weapons and gadgets:

Weapons: mid- to heavy-caliber pistol, cavalry saber, long bowie-like dirk, anything else that comes to hand.
Gadgets: a collapsible set of infantryman’s wings (when able to acquire them); several small concealable firearms, both revolvers and single-shot; several small, throwable knives, made from various pieces of found scrap metal. No two are exactly alike.

Crew position/desired position: Navigator/pilot/gunman/

Old crew or Newcomer:
Old Crew (The story will start with us getting a new ship, you can decide to have been part of the crew of our old ship. I may have some stuff to share via PM with any one who'd like to do this.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:14:51 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 10:11:55 pm »

Not sure how much I can contribute to start off with but defiantly interested. 

Name: Wallace

History: Has served on ships for as long as he remembers starting his career as a cabin boy he has moved from ship to ship and profession to profession, covering most of the professions on ship, is currently serving as ships cook which he seems to have settled into.

Skills: Skilled chef and possesses and innate knowledge of what is safe and unsafe to eat, skills range from foraging to pick pocketing and out right thievery, skilled lock pick and a able fighter prefers blades and short range weapons but has a good eye for ranges with both thrown and fired weapons, is a highly skilled at throwing knives of all sizes and is rather handy with a club

Weapons and gadgets: full range of chefs equipment and an inordinate number of knives ranging from small vegetable knives to things that are more like swords than knives, keeps service revolver in his bunk but rarely carries it unless needed. have a range of lock picking tools and  foraging bags, spice rack and sample kit for testing food.  

Crew position/desired position: Cook/Gunner/Stand in for any other role
Old crew or Newcomer: New Crew

steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 07:00:37 am »

never tried it before but ill give it a go...

Name: Talon
Sex: twice a day please

history: joined rebel forces at 14,  made 1st lieutenant in the 13th New Texas mechanized cavalry before being dishonorably discharged and declared outlaw for use of excessively brutal and dishonorable tactics. currently a gun for hire....but prefers to be called a professional troubleshooter.

skills: military training in hand to hand combat, hit and run tactics, guerrila warfare, point shooting, sharpshooting, ambush tactics, weaponsmithing. cant cook worth a damn...  

weapons and gadgets: modified lemat revolver on a bridgeport rig. engraved .45 blackpowder colt converted to centerfire rounds carried in a crossdraw rig, 8 guage sawed off Greener shotgun, sharps 50-110 w/ 20x Malcom scope. exoskeletal arm brace to enhance speed and strength of right arm. tomahawk. scalpin knife.

appearence: 6'  210lbs, stocky, flat brimmed black cowboy hat, plated black leather vest, chaps, and boots. torn and beat up steel grey military style coat.

position desired: quartermaster, in charge of crew moral,  discipline, and execution.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:14:09 pm by steamcowboy92 » Logged

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 07:38:00 am »

Name: Louisa (Lou) Breckenridge
Sex:female

History: Worked in a factory growing up that left her with an affinity for tools and machines.  Was taken under the wing of a clockmaker but found that the work didn't suit her.  She wanted more than just fixing pocket watches and making fancy movements.  Makes small automatons in her spare time and dreams of a time when they will do the dangerous work on the factory floor.

Skills: Excellent engineer with a small frame to fit in to compact spaces.  Knows basic bare knuckle fighting and is not afraid to use a hammer or wrench when she needs.

Weapons and gadgets: Tool belt with a standard set pf engine tools.  A ornate dainty pistol that she refuses to tell where she got it from.  Skittering clock work bombs that run from the activator.  A golden globe that becomes a small adding machine for repair quotes.  A parrot automaton that can remember and recite speech that folds in to a puck.

Appearance.  Keep in mind she is rather short and small.

Crew position/desired position: Mechanic

Old crew or Newcomer: old crew

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 11:16:05 am »

Name: Roger Seven

History: A child of the failed Venus Colony 9. The loss of the colony and the poorly executed rescue operation that followed resulted in the surviving population losing all their records. Given that Roger was very small at the time of the disaster and lost his parents in the process he did not know his last name. The local governing body got around this issue by assigning Roger and other children in similar situations numerical last names. His case was the seventh of its kind to be dealt with. Given the economic drain on Venus after the colony failed it has only recently recovered. Roger was left with minimal care until he was of approximately working age, 13 in Venus Colony 6, at which point he gained a job at the small Land Port in VC6. He has never visited the Capitol Colony (VC1) or any of the other major colonies and has thus never seen a Spaceport.

Skills: Has an intimate knowledge of the various types of land vehicles found on Venus (which are more advanced than those on other planets due to the harsh environment) and many of the general skills of a mechanic.

Weapons and Gadgets: The disaster left him with a permanent knee injury, so he generally walks with a cane while not working. He also has a fairly simple civilian handgun for personal protection.

Appearance: It must be noted that Roger's hairstyle is standard for males in the Venus Colonies, though it would be considered extremely feminine elsewhere.

Position Desired: n/a to begin with, but when he and the crew cross paths he would ideally work as an engineer/mechanic.

Sorry if I've invented too much universe there...

Also, the damn layering went on the fritz and the boots ended up over the trousers... I'll try re-do it some other time...

Finally, I've had a bit of an idea I would like to try out... Because there's some things Roger needs to do before the rest of the crew get together and start moving I would like to set up a 'prequel thread' for him that just covers what he does before the main story starts. I'll make the thread now and if it turns out this has all actually completely broken the universe I'll delete it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:21:32 am by The Corsair » Logged

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 03:02:14 pm »

Since you mentioned 'escaping capture,' I suppose that means we're in either prison or a portside lockdown; that means our characters will have to recover our effects, or re-accumulate them as we go, is that correct?
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 05:27:25 pm »

Sorry if I've invented too much universe there...

I think this works pretty well with what I'm thinking of using for the environment/settlement situation of Venus.

I'm fine with people inventing bits of the universe as we go along, so long as we keep some continuity and don't contradict anything that's already been established.

Finally, I've had a bit of an idea I would like to try out... Because there's some things Roger needs to do before the rest of the crew get together and start moving I would like to set up a 'prequel thread' for him that just covers what he does before the main story starts. I'll make the thread now and if it turns out this has all actually completely broken the universe I'll delete it.

Sounds good. A 'backstories and other tales' thread for this RP might come in handy later on, if you want to make your thread into one.

Since you mentioned 'escaping capture,' I suppose that means we're in either prison or a portside lockdown; that means our characters will have to recover our effects, or re-accumulate them as we go, is that correct?

Correct, I think I'll have us under arrest but not 'in the system' yet, so our stuff should be somewhere nearby and relatively easy to get back. (if that makes sense)

---

I'll be starting the game thread after the 4th, probably friday or this weekend.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:33:44 pm by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 06:01:23 pm »

I'd like to do a bit of a backstory as well, to define some things mentioned in the profile and give some idea as to Bailey's personality and the "rebels" and their "little" war...
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 06:13:19 pm »

Steamcowboy92, I'm putting you down as new crew, since this was missing from your profile. If you'd like to be part of the old crew instead let me know.

---

I'm thinking that the major military powers in the aether right now would be the real-life industrial/military powers of this time period. IIRC, this would be the United States, Britain, Germany, and (?) Japan.

If anyone has other ideas for who could be major or rising powers, and who we could use a bad guys later I'm open. (I was thinking about using Germany as the main bad guys / people we can pillage for privateering, but they've been used a lot in rp's so far and I'd like to use someone different, if possible.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:14:56 pm by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 06:27:06 pm »

I had been thinking that there had been a sort of extension or re-eruption of the American Civil war in the American colonies on, say, Mars, Jupiter's and Saturn's moons and some of the larger asteroids (some of which would of course have also been claimed by various world powers from Earth in addition to the Union), and that that was the conflict in which Bailey fought.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 06:45:58 pm »

voltair - ya go ahead thats what i meant to put is new crew just forgot.
bailey- if its alright with u ill throw my lot in with u and the rebels. long live the new confederacy
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 07:05:11 pm »

bailey- if its alright with u ill throw my lot in with u and the rebels. long live the new confederacy

*Rebel Yell*

Remember the Hunley!
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 07:46:47 pm »

*Rebel Yell*

Remember the Hunley!

down with the tyrannical federal government! states/planetary rights!

i was thinkin somethin along the lines of my unit fought alongside urs in a couple of battles.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 08:27:38 pm »

I think lou grew up on a smaller moon of one of the main words.  I think they moved a lot of idustry out of the planet because the lower gravaty makes it so the macines take less weare and tare and gives them some new products you can't make in regular gravity.
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 08:59:25 pm »

You could also use The Ottoman Empire
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 09:49:07 pm »

Okay, here's my character profile:

Name: Mariah A. Harper
Sex: Female

History: Raised on the streets of New York from a young age, where she learned about street fighting and various types of thievery. Got a position on an aethership at 18, and worked on various ships for many years, doing both legal and less than legitimate work. Worked her way into the upper ranks of a small independent mercenary ship, and took command after the former captain was killed during a fight. She has captained this ship for the past several years as a freetrader, mercenary, and privateer as the opportunity arises. Until the crew's most recent job went wrong...

Skills: Fair shot, and skilled with small knives and close quarters weapons. Knows a fair amount about 'dirty' street fighting, burglary, lockpicking, and bypassing security devices.

Knows how to operate most basic radio devices on aether ships, but not super-skilled at it. Has a limited amount of skill piloting aetherships and terrestrial craft, but she'd rather have someone on her crew who knows what they're doing.

Weapons and gadgets: Apparent everyday-carry weapons are an expensive-looking engraved colt peacemaker, and a short heavy saber. She also keeps a variety of small hand-to-hand weapons and at least two 'hideout' pistols hidden on her person or within reach.

Appearance:

Position: Captain
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 02:57:55 am »

I'm assuming the colonies on other planets are self-governing (though perhaps technically part of an earth-country's empire). Or at least that they are on Venus. I imagine Venus would have originally been something French or Italian given its slightly failed nature (Senegal Railway, Abyssinia, etc) but was essentially abandoned while those nations recovered back on earth and perhaps invested in an asteroid somewhere.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 03:14:16 am »

I think Lou comes from Titan.  I think they have a mainly good but competitive rivalry with Ganymede because they both produce the same products.  The heavy atmosphere leads to strong lungs and hearts but smaller mussel mass than you would expect.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: