The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 07:44:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T-shirt Printing ?  (Read 1008 times)
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« on: June 18, 2012, 03:15:32 pm »

Has any one come across anywhere that can print up to 3- 4 colours at a reasonable price per unit /  minimum order ?

I know there are some places  like this one  http://www.streetshirts.co.uk/ that I looked at before, but they usually charge as much - if not more - for supplying them with your own shirts rather than using their own. Roll Eyes

4o4

" You can lose every battle except that last " Sir Malcolm , Penny Dreadful
Calvin Sinclair
Gunner
United States United States

Oddities salesman, tinkerer, and general madman

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 04:57:11 pm »

My favorite sites are Zazzle and Vistaprint. Their prices are reasonable.

Always on the run!
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 04:58:38 pm »

How many do you need to do? There are transfers available that you can print yourself and iron on. Not feasible if you need fifty, true - but fine for very small production runs.

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:03:29 pm »

How many do you need to do? There are transfers available that you can print yourself and iron on. Not feasible if you need fifty, true - but fine for very small production runs.

It can also be done with a standard colour laser printer - just reverse the image (mirrored image), print, and use a hot iron to melt the toner onto the fabric, then soak the paper until soft and the gently rub off. It's a bit cheaper than the proper transfers. Wink

It doesn't work with all toner types though, but most will work just fine.

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 06:09:36 pm »

Not many maybe 5- 10 , I have some designs I did you see I was thinking of trying to sell myself to see how they'd do.

Are good transfers possible on black with something like this ?

4o4
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:23:41 pm by 4_0_4 » Logged
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 06:21:59 pm »

There are transfers specially for black t-shirts.

Haven't used them, but worth a look.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:00:07 am »

The home transfers are not really suitable for selling. For good results you need higher temperatures and pressures than you can get with a home iron. You can do testers with the home transfers but they just don't last like the ones you do with a heatpress.

Kindest regards, Raven

4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 02:10:44 am »

The home transfers are not really suitable for selling. For good results you need higher temperatures and pressures than you can get with a home iron. You can do testers with the home transfers but they just don't last like the ones you do with a heatpress.

Thats what I suspected.

I dont know anyone locally either who does it , esp in colours.

4o4
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 04:35:44 am »

Well, they are not perfect by any means, but a lot of people use this lot:

http://www.cafepress.co.uk

They are not exactly the cheapest, but at bulk volumes they are not too bad.  I would suggest you try your plans out with a bulk custom order, 12 items being the best discount number vs cash. For 12 dark T's it will be about £12.50 each (over £22 for an individual one-off T). You will probably not make a profit on this small venture, but it *will* let you know if there is a market for your product, at which point you can setup a web store, and all orders will be processed directly by cafepress.

A lot of smaller websites use them for their merchandising, so the business model seems sound enough.

If you want something a little closer to you, open Google Maps and type in the search bar "t shirt printing [your area]" it will pinpoint companies in your area that offer that service. It's a good place to start. Smiley

SS
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 12:18:49 am »

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/

Try on there, I did a bit of screen printing and the people on that forum are very knowledgeable. They may also know someone near you :-D
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 05:36:47 am »

Yeah, and since they tend to shrivel up in the dryer, which is not something your customers are likely to consider when washing them for the first time, it'd make a bad impression.

4_0_4
Snr. Officer
Sweden Sweden

Hi Forest , hows Fanny?

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 02:16:12 am »

They are not exactly the cheapest, but at bulk volumes they are not too bad.  I would suggest you try your plans out with a bulk custom order, 12 items being the best discount number vs cash. For 12 dark T's it will be about £12.50 each (over £22 for an individual one-off T). You will probably not make a profit on this small venture, but it *will* let you know if there is a market for your product, at which point you can setup a web store, and all orders will be processed directly by cafepress.

A lot of smaller websites use them for their merchandising, so the business model seems sound enough.

If you want something a little closer to you, open Google Maps and type in the search bar "t shirt printing [your area]" it will pinpoint companies in your area that offer that service. It's a good place to start. Smiley

SS

Well , I gave it shot but already encountered some problems depending on the scale of my images , Im not sure this was a problem with streetshirts , but you can see what I mean hereat the bottom right.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:19:58 am by 4_0_4 » Logged
PatronZero
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 06:21:41 pm »

Wondering if you have the time-space available to do the silk-screening yourself ?

I do know that simple (but elegant) designs of less than two or three colors is not terribly involved and if you are primarily working on dark fabrics you want your white 'ink' to be opaque as possible.

Posted an excellent article below, also visit instructables.com as well.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/silk-screen-stenciling-a-profitable-hobby/

One last thing, never put any shirt with a transfer or screening in a dryer, hang drying is a must to maintain the image!
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 07:09:35 pm »

They are not exactly the cheapest, but at bulk volumes they are not too bad.  I would suggest you try your plans out with a bulk custom order, 12 items being the best discount number vs cash. For 12 dark T's it will be about £12.50 each (over £22 for an individual one-off T). You will probably not make a profit on this small venture, but it *will* let you know if there is a market for your product, at which point you can setup a web store, and all orders will be processed directly by cafepress.

SS

Well , I gave it shot but already encountered some problems depending on the scale of my images , Im not sure this was a problem with streetshirts , but you can see what I mean hereat the bottom right.

HMMM, I dunno about that one...  I *know* I've seen larger images that that on their products before, so I don't think it's a size issue.  Might be the result of a computer cropping the image to fit the printing area (?)... I'm not sure if they have a max size shirt area on the printing side of things.  Undecided

Probably best to e-mail them directly and see what they say / suggest.

SS
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 02:09:41 am »

Not many maybe 5- 10 , I have some designs I did you see I was thinking of trying to sell myself to see how they'd do.

4o4

Lady Crystal,
   Trying to look at your link I get:

"This photo is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo."

Sad

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 05:45:44 am »

4o4

Lady Crystal,
   Trying to look at your link I get:

"This photo is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo."

Sad

Actually, that's 4o4's link, and all it gives me is a Yahoo login page.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: