The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 08:54:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" Remake in 2009!!!  (Read 9989 times)
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2013, 03:04:54 pm »

'20,000' Leagues...' was filmed at least 5 times before the Disney version and at least 10 times since.

This remake, should it happen, will not be the last.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
ktara
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2013, 04:08:58 am »

Most of the remakes I've seen in recent years have disappointed me.

Clash of the Titans, Charley and the Chocolate Factory, The Time Machine. Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes.

I refuse to watch Clash and Charley.  I was coerced into seeing The Time Machine and Tim's Planet.  Didn't like either of them.  I don't like remakes/reboots at all.  Give me the original, or better yet, give me the book Smiley

Time Lord Victorious
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2013, 03:47:22 pm »

Don't know if I should feel happy or worried about this.  Undecided

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-news/brangelina-head-for-australia-after-20000-leagues-under-the-sea-deal-signed/story-e6freuzi-1226610446088

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2013, 04:03:29 pm »

I won't feel either way until I've seen it.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2013, 05:57:41 pm »

I'm not feeling optimistic about this - sorry to get political, but the recent Australian government has a distinct trait of turning everything it touches to "brown-custard", so given that departments of public service committees of aparatchiks of any type are usually the last place you'd be looking to find artistic visionaries, with any government acting as show-biz backers to this latest production, I'd be backing away fast....

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2013, 07:26:34 am »

Oh, I do hope this latest report about the involvement of "Brangelina" is false...I realize that I am in the minority, but I positively cannot stand either of them. Both are, in my opinion, overrated as actors, and I have never found the female half of the team to be even a third as attractive as we are constantly told she is...or Ms. Jolie, either, for that matter...

(Oh, please, please, please don't start a flame war over this. It's only my opinion, and I've already acknowledged I'm in the minority.)

Going back to earlier in this thread, of all the directors rumored to be attached, I believe Mr. Raimi would be the most respectful of the material while still bringing something new to the table. While not all his films have been great, I find he's had more hits than misses (and I consider Spiderman 3 to be the fault of the studio, not Mr. Raimi).

I would have no problems at all with either Mr. Johnson or Mr. Smith being cast as Ned Land, but certainly not Nemo. Their particular strengths, physicality and comedy, would serve Land well (of course, I've got Mr. Douglas' performance still in the back of my braincase, so if the film is taking Land in that direction, yes, either Mr. Johnson or Mr. Smith would do nicely).

Regarding the previously discussed ethnicity of our good Captain, it is true that Mr. Verne had originally envisioned Nemo as Polish. However, as France was then allied with Russia (who had a problem with Poland), Mr. Verne's editors forced the change, and thus in the sequel Mysterious Island Nemo is identified as Indian. So the question is, would any new film follow the author's original vision of the character, or the one forced upon him? If the former, I concur with an earlier poster that Jason Isaacs would be a very good Nemo; if the latter, I likewise agree with previous posters recommending either Oded Fehr or Faran Tahir. I am regretably unfamiliar with the other "brown" actors put forth.

Of course, no matter who directs, who produces, who writes, who stars, it will fail to please 100% of fans of Mr. Verne's tome (or Mr. Disney's film, while we're at it). Our best bet, then, is to withhold judgement until the project passes from rumor to production to release.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: