The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 01:39:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: His Dark Materials.  (Read 2039 times)
5tephe
Gunner
Australia Australia

« on: March 06, 2007, 01:43:35 am »

Alright, I think it might fairly be said-

Philip Pullman: Insane Genius.

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Lights-His-Dark-Materials/dp/0439994349/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/103-4962843-4902226?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173141546&sr=8-4">Amazon listing</a>

Lyra's Oxford (the setting, not the book) is the most wonderful realisation of a Magical Steampunk setting one could hope for.
I know a bunch of you will have read them, so make your comments here.

And for those of you who haven't, do so.

<em>One is all for religion until one visits a really religious country. Then, one is all for drains, machinery and a minimum wage.</em>
-Aldous Huxley
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 02:05:40 am »

And the first film (may I say) looks lovely.

Emperor
Snr. Officer

Divine Wind

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 04:57:01 am »

Do you have any sneaky peeks?

I haven't seen much beyond these:

www.goldencompassmovie.com

http://x-realms.net/blog/?p=1384

I am really looking forward to it. It'll certianly give us our airship fix Wink

Emps

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Steampunk Collective thread
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 05:11:21 am »

None I can share unfortunately. Post production it's a bitch, you see good stuff but you can't prove it. Sad
CuriousGoods
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 05:51:12 am »

Some of my favorite books.  I'm even working on a book-version alethiometer:
http://www.curiousgood.com/?page_id=133
girldust
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 08:51:33 pm »

Definitely one of my favourite trilogies.  Pullman's mystery series (the one that features The Ruby and the Smoke...I feel awful for not remembering its proper name) is also fitting, I think.  Isn't there a film version for that in the works, as well?
Emperor
Snr. Officer

Divine Wind

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 09:04:21 pm »

Definitely one of my favourite trilogies.  Pullman's mystery series (the one that features The Ruby and the Smoke...I feel awful for not remembering its proper name)

As far as I'm aware it is just called the Sally Lockhart series (the Sally Lockhart trilogy before the fourth book was released Wink )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Lockhart
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 09:13:30 pm »

The BBC did a Christmas drama of Ruby in the Smoke - it was rather well done, I thought.  I hadn't read the book, but it was fun to watch.  No Steampunk to speak of, though the main character was pleasantly against-the-Victorian-grain.
5tephe
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 12:54:06 am »

Yes, the Sally Lockhart series is superb.

<em>The Ruby in the Smoke
The Shadow in the North
The Tiger in the Well</em>

Just fantastic. There is an element of the fantastic, but it is more stylistic than actual. At the very least, these books are a wonderful window into an adventurous past, that might well have happened, in the glorious height of Victorian England.

Billy Piper (the recent companion of Doctor Who) played Sally, and it hasn't yet come out here to Australia. My wife and I (big fans of the recent Doctor's adventures) can't WAIT! She put me onto the Sally Lockhart series, and they are fantastic.

Be warned, none of Phillip Pullman's books, though all classed as children's literature, are easy going. He will make you cry. He will reach in and rip your guts out. It is always the sublime torture of three dimensional characters, being given the 'opportunities' they need to 'grow'.

He's a filthy bugger. Gets you every time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: