The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 03:43:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: False Fire without battery, or RAY-Gun power..  (Read 1932 times)
Jumjum
Deck Hand
Sweden Sweden

« on: May 29, 2012, 01:01:32 pm »

After I had seen the movie “Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)” after Jules Verne book, I was thinking it could be nice to build the BIG gasmask (?) that they are carrying on the back…After a couple of days I was in one of my towns “Gadget Store/ Big Boy Toy Store” and found a Wind Up Flashlight http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=372436 then I remember that in the movie had some nice looking wind up lights with brass and white glass, hmmmm perhaps I could use it in a upcoming Steampunk project without breaking the spirit of Steampunk to much because the great Jules Verne was using electricity (in the movie, how he describe the light in the book I don’t remember, it was over 20 years ago I read all his books),  and battery has been around for 1000 of years (one was found in the middle east, it was just a clay pot with a iron rod and a copper rod, filled with some acid, and sealed  with asphalt)

In the other Gadget Store I found some cheap mini LEDs on a wire, powered with 3 AAA batteries, http://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=384054 perhaps I could power the LEDs with it ?? So I went home and dissecting the flashlight (just 4 small screws), cut of original LEDs, connecting the LED wire and WOLA!! It  function at the first time (LEDs only work with the power on the right  side (+/-) if it don’t work try switch the polarity, and make sure the flashlight is on!!)  When tested it was glowing about 10-15 minutes after I had crank the flashlight one minute. So I cut of 15 of the 30 LEDs (straight of, not connecting the wires together) and then I was getting about 30 minutes gloving time. Grin

I have seen many Steampunk RAY-Guns on the web, maybe some want to make their guns to give of a bright light when is fired, just get a mini windup flashlight and use the winding arm as a trigger!! It give of a 500% more light if you start rotating the windup arm,  it´s only needs a normal gun trigger movement to give of a bright flash! Or somebody wants to light up some old glass radio tubes?
I will use this device in a old kerosene burner as “flames”. I hope somebody have use for this “How To..”

I love the overworked brass screws and things like that on old technical instruments, it´s has no function beside to be beautifully!
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 03:00:40 pm »

This is an interesting idea! Thanks for putting it out here.

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 03:13:57 pm »

VERY nice!

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: