The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 04:21:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: What setting should I use?  (Voting closed: June 10, 2012, 02:19:35 am)
Urban USA - 0 (0%)
Rural USA - 1 (10%)
South Pacific - 5 (50%)
Continental Europe - 2 (20%)
Other (please specify your suggestion) - 2 (20%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting For A Dieselpunk Role Play  (Read 2432 times)
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« on: May 27, 2012, 02:19:35 am »

I still want to create a role play eventually (I have joined a currently running role play in order to gain experience). It will be dieselpunk themed but I cannot decide upon a setting. Therefore, I have decided to post a poll in which other forumgoers will decide. I have several possible setting ideas that could be used.
USA, Urban-
   I came up with a vague idea for such a setting. It is a fictional Midwestern industrial city called “Lakeport”. The city I invented was intended as a film-noir-ish setting, but it could just as easily work for any kind of story. I tried to invent a plot that would take place here, but I didn’t like what I came up with, so I abandoned it. I may be able to salvage Lakeport and, with some changes, use it as a setting for an entirely different plot however.
USA, Rural-
   Another idea I have been considering is a setting in a rural Southeast. I have no plot ideas yet for it, but the idea sounds potentially interesting. Think along the lines of “Oh Brother! Where Art Thou?” (I didn’t really like that movie but it had an amazing soundtrack and the setting has potential).
South Pacific-
   This would be a setting very reminiscent of stuff like Tales of The Gold Monkey, Porco Rosso, Talespin, etc. The players would likely be part of an air shipping company or a band of air mercenaries. There will be island hopping and weird implausible aircraft involved. There may also be a few run-ins with the Japanese. Cool setting, but its all been done before several times.
Continental Europe-
   This would most likely be during WWII. The players would be some kind of (American, British, or Soviet) military unit, or possibly European resistance fighters. The story would likely be a standard alternate WWII plot like accidentally discovering a secret conflict within the conflict (probably involving super-technology, magic, or both) or stopping the construction of some experimental superweapon. I see two potential problems with this setting. The first is that it will very likely be extremely difficult to avoid established alternate WWII clichés, and the second is that it will definately have a very large amount of post-WW1 weapons. Therefore I would desire not to use this setting if possible.
             Other- If you have any other (probably better) ideas, please let me know.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:21:30 am by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz » Logged
Haloeclipse
Gunner

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 09:17:20 am »

Voted for Europe. Agree though that the difficulty will lie in avoiding cliche's. If its a ww2ish setting might try the pacific islands and the island hopping campaigns.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 01:02:26 pm »

How about Shanghai? It was a bit of a safe haven during the Sino-Japanese wars, and had settlements by several European countries. That could probably make it a great base for some smuggling operations involving flying boats as well as politics.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 06:00:08 pm »

How about Shanghai? It was a bit of a safe haven during the Sino-Japanese wars, and had settlements by several European countries. That could probably make it a great base for some smuggling operations involving flying boats as well as politics.

Interesting idea. I will have to give that some thought.
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 06:39:44 pm »

I voted for South pacific. Sure it's been done before; it's a classic setting, with room to put almost anything. Lost civilizations, cannibals, secret bases of evil hidden in volcanos, the last of the dinosaurs roaming unexplored island jungles, mind-shattering non-euclidean cities rising from the depths... the possibilities are endless. (Scratch off those last two if you want to stick to 'realistic'.  Wink)

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 07:22:22 pm »

I'll vote for south pacific as well, mainly since, as Alistair mentioned, it has a lot of interesting possibilities for roleplay set-ups. I don't think its been used recently (if at all?) as a main setting for RP on this forum either.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 08:04:25 pm »

I chose South Pacific, since I like Tales of the Gold Monkey and weird/implausible aircraft et al.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 08:28:37 pm »

I'm in the "Other" with a suggestion based on a 1933 film called FP1 about an artificial island for transatlantic flights.

From an IMDB review
"F.P.1" is of greatest interest as one of very few science fiction features made in the 1930s... the story of Flight Platform 1, a huge aircraft refueling station in the mid- Atlantic. Designed to aid transoceanic flight, it frustrates surface shipping interests, who connive to destroy it. Amidst the intrigue is a love triangle between the F.P.1's creator, his aviator buddy, and the shipping heiress who makes it all possible.

IMDB Link

Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 10:01:02 pm »

I voted for other...

I've always found the inter war period in Europe a lot more inspiring and fun than WW2 itself, there's lots of political conflict and antagonism, social upheaval and criminal organisations, not to mention all the essential diesel tropes of Zepplins, art deco, futurism, facist architecture and awesome sights such as fleets of the SM S.55's as they flew in V formations from Italy to the Americas.

The chaos, enthusiasm and mass social change of inter war Europe make it my first choice, made even better with lashings of cool planes (not that they need to be changed much! The planes of Porco Rosso are all just slightly tweaked real planes and those built ot tabled for the Schneider Trophy are a catalogue of sexy aviation), airships and lovecraftian horror. It's not so much of a diversion for European adventures to spill over into Africa, Egypt and further into the middle east.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 12:05:50 am »

Just to give you an idea of what you can do with Shanghai:

http://youtu.be/dvpAdG54fZM
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:31:30 am by Atterton » Logged
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 09:00:00 pm »

I'm in the "Other" with a suggestion based on a 1933 film called FP1 about an artificial island for transatlantic flights.

From an IMDB review
"F.P.1" is of greatest interest as one of very few science fiction features made in the 1930s... the story of Flight Platform 1, a huge aircraft refueling station in the mid- Atlantic. Designed to aid transoceanic flight, it frustrates surface shipping interests, who connive to destroy it. Amidst the intrigue is a love triangle between the F.P.1's creator, his aviator buddy, and the shipping heiress who makes it all possible.

IMDB Link

Actually, I think I will go with something like this. Also, since it would be located in the Mid-Atlantic, it could easily lead us to North America or Europe. Or, it could be combined with the South Pacific setting if desired.
Lucius Baxter
Officer
England England

Where there is no imagination there is no horror

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 07:41:56 pm »

MMM! This sounds good.... I love film noir.
So, we're talking kind of a Casablanca/Maltese Falcon/Indiana jones/Post WW1/Agatha Christie-in-an-aeroplane type thing? AWESOME!
I've already designed a diesel powered Airship anyway... Bolinders you see.

2nd lieutenant in his majesty's Royal Flying Corps
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 08:41:09 pm »

So, we are a group of airplane mercenaries operating out of an offshore aircraft refueling platform in the South Pacific (we hire ourselves out to various clients, some legitimate, some less than legitimate) I imagine the platform was constructed by a brilliant but insane Howard Hughes-esque industrialist (maybe even Howard Hughes himself). I am working on a description of the platform now. Once that's done we'll need to come up with a basic plot.
Lucius Baxter
Officer
England England

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 06:41:14 pm »

mmmmmm... niiice. Sounds very deco.
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 09:01:21 pm »

The main setting is a massive offshore aircraft refueling platform in the Mid-Pacific. It was built by Howard Hughes to support transoceanic air-shipping. It is built atop a dormant underwater volcano and is geothermally powered. Here is a list of locations on the platform (we will leave it and fly to other locations on a regular basis).
•   The Airstrip- Landing strip for heavier-than air craft.
•   The Main Hanger- Storage and maintenance facilities for visiting heavier-than-air craft.
•   The Mooring Masts- Accommodations for visiting zeppelins.
•   Private Hangers- Rented out to various customers, including the player characters.
•   The Generator- Geothermal power station that provides electricity for machinery on the platform.
•   The Town- Housing for permanent residents on the platform. Also contains a tavern, a post office, a school, and a few small stores.
•   The Tavern- The main social gathering place on the platform. The RP will begin here as I attempt to recruit a band of mercenaries. This is also a likely location for us to plan missions and meet with clients.
•   The Barracks- Housing for security personnel. The platform is protected by a squadron of fighters (not us) and gun towers with Bofors 40mm antiaircraft cannon for defense against air pirates.
•   Radio Beacon- Designed to help aircraft find their way to the platform.
•   Two-Way Radio Tower- For communications with aircraft.
   Any suggestions or other questions or comments before we brainstorm a basic plot?
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 09:29:10 pm »

It should be guarded by trained sharks.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 11:24:43 pm »

It should be guarded by trained sharks.

With lasers on their heads?
Lucius Baxter
Officer
England England

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 08:25:47 pm »

DALEKS?!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 09:39:38 pm »

I think Daleks are a bit ove rthe top. also tend to be a bit too violent.

(EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!) Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: