The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:01:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pack your bags. The world has ended - Steampunk LEGOs  (Read 27870 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: May 24, 2012, 08:13:55 pm »

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

I ignore if this subject has been posted yet, and if so please feel free to merge or move the post as is appropriate.

But... What is going on??  Has the League of Steam spawned something unholy?

Here I present the evidence, as I write this post with trembling hands (well not really, I'm just haven't had anything to eat all day):

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2012/05/23/lego-introduces-monster-fighters/

Opinions.  Good?  Bad?  Unholy? *readies a silver cross, viles of holy water and garlic*

Cheers,
J. Wilhelm

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 08:31:48 pm »

Yes certainly monsters and monster hunters is so very steampunk. There was never such a thing as the horror genre, or tons of books and movies featuring such creatures.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Frolicking Johnson
Snr. Officer

Steam Life

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 08:45:42 pm »

Eh, no big deal. They really don't look very steamy to me. Sure, one of them is wearing a bowler and has a pocket watch, and one is wearing a pith helmet, but they certainly don't look steampunk to me.

Stay STEAMY!!!
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 08:53:30 pm »

Not seeing the problem here. People (myself included) have been building steampunk stuff with Lego for a very long time. There's even a thread for it somewhere in Tactile. In all honestly, I plan on buying some of these, both for my daughter and myself.

Though some of the character's may sort of have the look, beyond that there's nothing steampunk about any of the sets, and nowhere in any official advertising are these sets referred to as "steampunk". So unpack, relax, eat something; the world's not going anywhere.

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 04:45:41 am »

Not inherently Steam, but as Mr. Crowley points out they don't claim to be, and they're certainly far from boiler sludge. We'll just have to wait and see what the AFOL community do with them.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 08:09:22 am »

Yes certainly monsters and monster hunters is so very steampunk. There was never such a thing as the horror genre, or tons of books and movies featuring such creatures.

All right fellas, don't get your bloomers in a twist. It's just a quick observation.  The images just called my attention... and with such penchants we have for Lovecraftian creatures and mad science, the subject crossed paths with their mention of underground laboratories.  Roll Eyes  It certainly seems to be pandering to trends in society (vampires and such), but also kind of scratches the Victorian GhostMonsterbuster concept.

LEGO Monster Fighters Story
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 08:18:52 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 09:18:24 am »

They don't look steamy.  In fact they are about as steamy as a nerf gun.

er...

hmm?

Now where did I put my brass paint?
Steam on legos and gentlemen!
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 09:45:35 am »

All right fellas, don't get your bloomers in a bunch. It's just a quick observation.  The images just called my attention... and with such penchants we have for Lovecraftian creatures and mad science, the subject crossed paths with their mention of underground laboratories.  Roll Eyes  It certainly seems to be pandering to trends in society (vampires and such), but also kind of scratches the Victorian GhostMonsterbuster concept.

LEGO Monster Fighters Story

Of course it's pandering to trends in society. How else are they going to sell any?

The way I see it, there's nothing inherently anything about Lego. That's kind of the point behind them. It's what you do with them that counts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 12:32:53 pm »

Eh, no big deal. They really don't look very steamy to me. Sure, one of them is wearing a bowler and has a pocket watch, and one is wearing a pith helmet, but they certainly don't look steampunk to me.

They're two inch high Lego figures, for Cog's sake!! How much 'steamy' detail do you expect? Roll Eyes
 One has a bowler hat, waistcoat and a pocket watch and one has Victorian style 'Franz Josef' whiskers and a pith. I've seen  posts on here from people asking how they can look more steampunk and people reply 'get a waistcoatand pocket watch'..'get a good hat, like a Pith or a bowler'...'grow some Victorian whiskers'.  If a waistcoat, pocket watch and an appropriate hat and Franz Josef whiskers  are sufficient attire to make a person 'steampunk' then I think it's good enough for a Lego figure, don't you?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:02:44 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 12:49:45 pm »

They're two inch high Lego figures, for Cog's sake!! How much 'steamy' detail do you expect? Roll Eyes
 One has a bowler hat, waistcoat and a pocket watch and one has Victorian style 'Franz Josef' whiskers and a pith. I've seen  posts on here from people asking how they can look more steampunk and people reply 'get a waistcoatand pocket watch'..'get a good hat, like a Pith or a bowler'...'grow some Victorian whiskers'.  If a waistcoat, pocket watch and an appropriate hat and Franz Josef whiskers  are sufficient attire to make a person  'steampunk' then it's good enough for a Lego figure, don't you?

Not unless the one with the bowler also has a mechanical leg- oh, wait...

Cheesy
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 12:56:18 pm »

Steampunk or not, and I'd have to say they fit the bill to me... they look pretty awesome.

The video is adorable too! Such a fun back-story. I think the fact that the female monster hunter is called Ann Lee makes me most happy- introducing kids to Poe can only be a good thing!

I want these... Not that I'm still bitter about my mum giving my lego to my cousin without asking me when I was 12 or anything...

Oh well- I know what my Nephew is getting for his birthday =P

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Lachlan_MacAuslander
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 06:37:42 pm »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I may have to purchase some of these.

Y'know, for research purposes. Yeah, that.   Cheesy
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 07:37:56 pm »

The woman from Poe's poem was Annabel Lee.

I'm not saying this isn't victorian, it's just not steampunk I'd say. Victorian monster hunters is not a new thing, there horror genre has featured them for ages. Just look at Van Helsing. I just get a bit annoyed when people try to declare everything steampunk.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 08:07:42 pm »

Everything is Steampunk!  Tongue

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 08:21:26 pm »

Two things.. Love the guy in the pith helmet and khakis, and The Mad scientist's lab.

What do we want? Decapitations!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 08:33:05 pm »

I'm not saying this isn't victorian, it's just not steampunk I'd say. Victorian monster hunters is not a new thing, there horror genre has featured them for ages. Just look at Van Helsing. I just get a bit annoyed when people try to declare everything steampunk.

How steampunk is Legos plastic as opposed to Nerf plastic?

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 11:19:48 pm »

I know. I was assuming Ann was you know, short for Annabelle...
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 02:26:53 am »

Well it certainly has steamy elements to it, and I like the figure models (well, except for Anna with the harpoon in her hair. The hell?) So combine this with one of the pirate sets and make your own steamy Lego adventures.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 04:42:50 am by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Puck
Gunner

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 03:58:29 am »

Victorian monster hunters predate the Steampunk subculture by a landslide.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
~ Oscar Wilde
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 12:35:10 pm »

Indeed, buit needless to say they've also become an inspiration for it. Pic related and nothing whatsoever to do with gratuitous fantasy hawtness.

Steampunk may have been at least part of the inspiration for those Lego figures (I suspect it was) but there does seem to be a burgeoning interest in all things Victorian or generally retro coming from a few directions at present. And yeah I certainly don't have a problem with that. Lego may not have quite the Steamy connection Meccano does, but it's very cool, and some folks do very cool things with it.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:04:48 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 06:46:30 pm »

Ye gods... that's impressive.
Guinevere Meander
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 12:31:41 am »

I like them a lot and will always admit my lego past. And that mansion keeps me speechless.

"...it was here just a minute ago!"  Motto of the lovely Lady Guinevere Meander
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 03:01:27 am »

One has a bowler hat, waistcoat and a pocket watch and one has Victorian style 'Franz Josef' whiskers and a pith. I've seen  posts on here from people asking how they can look more steampunk and people reply 'get a waistcoatand pocket watch'..'get a good hat, like a Pith or a bowler'...'grow some Victorian whiskers'.  If a waistcoat, pocket watch and an appropriate hat and Franz Josef whiskers  are sufficient attire to make a person  'steampunk' then it's good enough for a Lego figure, don't you?

Not unless the one with the bowler also has a mechanical leg- oh, wait...

Cheesy

Isn't the one in the bowler our own Danny Oakes?

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 04:06:47 am »

A bit more info on Mr Doyle's mocs for those that might be interested.

http://mikedoylesnap.blogspot.co.uk/

rhylla
Snr. Officer

The Navigator

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 05:04:47 pm »

I like them... I suppose I see monster hunting as a part of my interpretation of Steampunk... along with general adventuring, inventing, exploring etc etc... bit of a twist on the love of big game hunting that some Victorians went in for. For me, that's it, twisting things that have been around for a long time.

-Rhylla-

Navigator of the Airship Tartan Crow (and the reason why we generally travel in the wrong direction!)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: