The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 02:12:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with a baggage aid!  (Read 1021 times)
abigailbeatrix
Gunner
United States United States

« on: May 14, 2012, 04:19:30 pm »

Hey everyone!

I aquired an awesome doctors bag in which I planned on keeping a lot of cool goodies. After a convention or two, I realized it's really not practicle for a small girl to carry around ~25-30 pounds in a bag for three days at a time.

While I could get super buff and deal with lugging my stuff around, I decided I'd make a cool little carriage for it. I plan on making a copper pipe base for it to sit on with small spoked bike wheels and attaching a cane to pull it around, but I want to go bigger AND better. I'm trying to figure out a way to have it elevate (like a small table) so I constantly don't have to bend over to pull things out of it.

This is where I need your help! I like the look of a scissor lift, but they tend to be really expensive and really big. I thought about making one myself, but I don't have the means to set up the hydrolics and actually make the cross-pieces on them. I've also looked into other types of folding tables, but because the base of the bag is pretty small (about a foot and a half long and a foot wide) and I want the bag to be waist high (probably around two and a half feet), the traditional folding legs won't work. I've also looked for telescoping legs, but I can't find them anywhere and even if I did, I wouldn't know how to attach them!

If any of you have a better idea on how to create a dolly with a collapsible table for this bag, I would love to hear it!
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:33:12 pm »

A scissor type arrangement is not impossible, if you are prepared to manually lift it into place - see clothes drying racks for what I am on about.

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
abigailbeatrix
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 04:46:08 pm »

A scissor type arrangement is not impossible, if you are prepared to manually lift it into place - see clothes drying racks for what I am on about.

I had looked into things similar like baby gates, but I am concerned about keeping it up with the weight. I carry a lot of liquids and my bag is pretty heavy. Do you think these drying racks could hold the weight?
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 04:55:54 pm »

I had looked into things similar like baby gates, but I am concerned about keeping it up with the weight. I carry a lot of liquids and my bag is pretty heavy. Do you think these drying racks could hold the weight?

Probably not. However it would not be too hard to duplicate the mechanism in wood or brass or steel.
abigailbeatrix
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 05:22:16 pm »

Probably not. However it would not be too hard to duplicate the mechanism in wood or brass or steel.

The reason I originally dismissed this idea was because I couldn't think of a locking mechanism. Do you think it would be possible to put in a couple brass pins or something to keep it from collapsing under the weight? I can't really think of anything else that could work.
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 05:30:47 pm »

The reason I originally dismissed this idea was because I couldn't think of a locking mechanism. Do you think it would be possible to put in a couple brass pins or something to keep it from collapsing under the weight? I can't really think of anything else that could work.

Essentially, the lowest part of the mechanism must be prevented from moving laterally. A simple pin mechanism should suffice.
abigailbeatrix
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 05:53:15 pm »

Essentially, the lowest part of the mechanism must be prevented from moving laterally. A simple pin mechanism should suffice.
I'm going to test this theory out this evening. I'll write back if it is a success or not!
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 01:39:07 pm »

My thoughts on this potential project lean in the direction of something derived from a scissor jack of the  type often  found in an automotive toolkit. A length of theaded rod with a handle at one end, and two matched nuts to adjust the  spread of the base.  These could be mounted in a wooden pantograph, or a welded frame if you have a tame welder.

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Professor Phineas Brownsm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 03:02:58 pm »

should have one of these

Experimental Master Brewer - The Infamous Ginger Brau Emporium
abigailbeatrix
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 06:04:32 pm »

My thoughts on this potential project lean in the direction of something derived from a scissor jack of the  type often  found in an automotive toolkit. A length of theaded rod with a handle at one end, and two matched nuts to adjust the  spread of the base.  These could be mounted in a wooden pantograph, or a welded frame if you have a tame welder.

I hadn't thought about a scissor jack, but they aren't compact enough nor reach the height that I need. It's a good thought though!

Hah, only if I had little minions to cut in half for this purpose!

I ended up altering a laundry drying rack. I found one with metal joints and I will be making some additional supports out of copper tubing.

I'll post pictures when I am finished!
robotmastern
Snr. Officer

automaton craftsman extraordinaire

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:28:14 pm »

Or one of these

Professor Phineas Brownsm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 08:13:41 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up