The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 09:47:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help making a Borderlands costume?  (Read 12055 times)
Sir Newton Bridges
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« on: May 11, 2012, 03:26:11 am »

hey folks, i'm trying to assemble a costume of Mordecai from Borderlands. while not exactly steampunk, i figured i'd try getting some help here.

here's my victim:

the parts i need help with the most are the hat/goggle combination, and his weird vest. the rest of the outfit i can manage. after surfing the web a bit the closest matches i can find are these three things:

http://www.amazon.com/DOUBLJU-Casual-Coloration-leather-KHAKI-XL/dp/B007RK24M8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS?ie=UTF8&colid=2OFN1FIAFPPWA&coliid=I1FZQIKDSVJW6O
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Aviator-Goggles-Driving-Mirrored/dp/B003Z4BBSI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S?ie=UTF8&colid=2OFN1FIAFPPWA&coliid=I5CYS9QU9T70Y
http://www.amazon.com/Aviator-Black-Leather-Motorcycle-Vintage/dp/B004ZZI7E2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S?ie=UTF8&colid=2OFN1FIAFPPWA&coliid=IB4K2RL6AU2XQ

if i were to buy those it'd be a relatively simple matter to strap on some belts over my chest and some holsters to finish off the torso. problem is, i really dont think i can afford seventy bucks to buy all those things if it'd just be for a costume.

So my fellow punks, this is where you come in! do you guys know a source to get similar looking outfits for cheaper, or know of a pattern i could use to recreate the looks of them? keep in mind i have very very little experience with the sowing machine so i dont think i could create something if it was super complicated.

i am living in mine zyrian fantasty
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:29:21 am »

No suggestions on the vest. As for the goggles, these are both closer and cheaper:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The aviator cap should be a good first sewing project; there are plenty of patterns online, and more than a few here on Brass Goggles.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
dashboardpirate
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 07:48:36 pm »

I would suggest browsing thrift stores when it comes to the vest. If you find a coat, jacket or even an actual vest with similar lines to what you are looking for it will be relatively easy to modify it to fit your desires. Then again I'm a poor hand with a sewing machine but a fairly decent seamstress with an old-fashioned needle and thread. I find large projects ( read as from scratch) to be a bit too difficult to manage so I tend to buy things similar to what I want ( or that have "good bones") and alter them. Then again perhaps I am just lazy. Good luck with your costume.

Insert random witty remark here
Sir Newton Bridges
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 04:15:30 am »

No suggestions on the vest. As for the goggles, these are both closer and cheaper:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The aviator cap should be a good first sewing project; there are plenty of patterns online, and more than a few here on Brass Goggles.

i do like the goggles. i cant decide if it'd be better to get the red ones to match mordecai's colors, or yours to save a few bucks and have a closer shape to the original.

do you have a site you could recommend for free sewing patterns or a link to a pattern i could use? i've been googling for aviator cap patterns but all the ones i've found are for crocheting, or are a different shape
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 06:19:51 am »

Not offhand. Just do a forum search for "aviator cap" or "flying cap." I know there are a few threads on the subject somewhere in Anatomical.

Also, I'm sure you could find tint film to match the colour of the goggles in the character drawing.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:21:59 am by von Corax » Logged
Sir Newton Bridges
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 07:33:41 am »

Not offhand. Just do a forum search for "aviator cap" or "flying cap." I know there are a few threads on the subject somewhere in Anatomical.

Also, I'm sure you could find tint film to match the colour of the goggles in the character drawing.

ah, good suggestion look for flying cap! that should help me find some new patterns. part of the problem is i want to try to make it as close to mordecai's as possible, so i've had to pass up a few guide that i did find because they looked too different.

For the goggles, i've actually found a new pair of that match mordecai's much closer then the one i previously had, and they're the cheapest yet! However i wouldn't be too surprised if that cheap price comes with an equally large drop in quality of construction. that wont be a problem if its just for a costume though

http://www.amazon.com/Silver-plated-Frame-Motorcycle-Goggle-Glasses/dp/B0068D650M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S?ie=UTF8&colid=2OFN1FIAFPPWA&coliid=I2DI7JJ55HAI85
c
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 09:09:08 am »

the problem with the flying cap and goggles is what exactly the extra leather face protection is connected to, is it a flange of sorts to the goggles or is the aviator cap covering alot of the face too? maybe see if there is any artwork showing details of that.

retailoring old clothes is alot faster than sewing from scratch. that vest looks pretty good, I would use it as is really, the added items will make the costume.
Sir Newton Bridges
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 09:42:15 am »

the problem with the flying cap and goggles is what exactly the extra leather face protection is connected to, is it a flange of sorts to the goggles or is the aviator cap covering alot of the face too? maybe see if there is any artwork showing details of that.

retailoring old clothes is alot faster than sewing from scratch. that vest looks pretty good, I would use it as is really, the added items will make the costume.

this is concept art of him, with a pretty good view of the mask from the front and side. it looks like in reality the mask pulls over his whole face with just a slot for the eyes. its almost half ski mask half aviator hat i'd call it. I think if i can get a regular cap and some goggles it shouldnt be that hard to create something similar without modifying the two.

it also makes me wonder how on earth does this man not snap in half in a stiff breeze! look at that waist!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: