The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 05:56:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamy Steampunk Buildings  (Read 49864 times)
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #350 on: August 10, 2017, 10:30:00 pm »

Partington Viaduct (ruined)

Lightquick - Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #351 on: August 10, 2017, 10:32:41 pm »

Leaderfoot Viaduct and Drygrange Bridge near Melrose

yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #352 on: August 10, 2017, 10:38:14 pm »

Glenfinnan Viaduct (of Harry Potter fame)

By the way, you can right click and select view image for any of these pictures and see a much larger and higer resolution version of almost all of these great bridges.

Just two more bridges to go and I'm done!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:40:43 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #353 on: August 10, 2017, 11:21:14 pm »

Balcombe Viaduct where I used to live:

yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #354 on: August 10, 2017, 11:24:23 pm »

Richmond Lock

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:26:55 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #355 on: August 11, 2017, 02:44:00 am »

There you go... and it isn't the halfpenny bridge, it's the h'apenny bridge, pronounced "hApeny" all in one go. The "A" sounds capitalised

I knew that! Didn't have my map of Dublin handy to check!  Grin
I take it you are a big fan of bridges, unclebert!
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #356 on: August 11, 2017, 02:58:20 am »

Those are just the bridges on the Thames and a few local/well known types around the UK that many will have heard of. There are probably a hundred or more that would equally fit the bill and I didn't even mention the most steamy of them all.

They are just such good examples of Victorian design and real-life usage (to my mind what steampunk should be, a combination of form and actual functionality - no extra cogs just for the sake of it). Nevertheless, I DO love bridges.

We have a few ha'penny lanes near here. I wasn't really telling you how to pronounce it - just extra info. for those not in the know.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:41:55 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #357 on: August 11, 2017, 01:23:38 pm »

Balcombe Viaduct where I used to live:

I believe I am in love with a physical structure, is that possible or even legal?, look at that brickwork, beautiful. Thanks for sharing  yereverluvinunclebert.

yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #358 on: August 11, 2017, 03:18:46 pm »

Seveneves, the Balcombe Viaduct is a beautiful piece of Victorian engineering, hugely strong due to the rounded arches, lighter due to the reduction of bricks used in the construction and really so impressive when you stand next to it. It carries all the rail traffic from London to Brighton and has done so since 1841. Those bricks are all hardened engineering bricks - as hard as stone. The bridge has been monitored and fettled/repaired over the years and stands as a testament to the original design. Whenever I passed the viaduct it was always worth the short walk to stand underneath and view those amazing arches.

When you are next in the area drop by, there is a road very close by.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:03:39 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #359 on: August 11, 2017, 05:23:32 pm »

Seveneves, the Balcombe Viaduct is a beautiful piece of Victorian engineering, hugely strong due to the rounded arches, lighter due to the reduction of bricks used in the construction and really so impressive when you stand next to it. It carries all the rail traffic from London to Brighton and has done so since 1841. Those bricks are all hardened engineering bricks - as hard as stone. The bridge has been monitored and fettled/repaired over the years and stands as a testament to the original design. Whenever I passed the viaduct it was always worth the short walk to stand underneath and view those amazing arches.

When you are next in the area drop by, there is a road very close by.
I may well organize a ride out for a photo shoot with the local biker group I belong to soon, weather permitting. If not this year, definitely on the to do list, old Brit shit, hogs and Harleys, what a background that Viaduct would provide, love it, have I said I love it?, my god I love it. Grin 
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #360 on: August 11, 2017, 08:35:38 pm »

Giants basin viaducts and bridges, Castlefield, Manchester, doesn't get much more steamy

Beautifully atmospheric, those under the arches photos.  Truly a relic of an age that never quite was. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #361 on: August 11, 2017, 08:41:49 pm »

I think it was...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #362 on: August 11, 2017, 10:52:59 pm »

I just love the brickwork on the Balcombe Viaduct - and that Partington Viaduct is unbelievably atmospheric!

There is a bridge over a river/stream in Ireland, called Foley's Bridge - you can just about see the trolls living under it! Sorry, no pic!

Have some abandoned railway trestle bridges close to where I live (well, about 50 kms away - close by Oz standards). I do have some photos of them. Looks like I will have to sign up to a photo hosting site, and go bridge hunting.
There is also a place up the river called Tintaldra, that used to have a railway bridge over it - I have the perfect photo! Tintaldra is famous for having the first pub on the Murray River.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:56:28 pm by Banfili » Logged
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #363 on: August 13, 2017, 07:12:01 am »

Victoria Bridge, Townsville.

Support left as monument to old bridge in Brisbane.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #364 on: August 13, 2017, 10:42:01 am »

A timber trestle in England?  Yes....

Down in Devon and Cornwall Brunel built a series of timber viaducts.  The last of them was replaced in 1930. 
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #365 on: August 13, 2017, 10:51:56 am »

There is also a place up the river called Tintaldra, that used to have a railway bridge over it - I have the perfect photo! Tintaldra is famous for having the first pub on the Murray River.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - Tintaldra Hotel is closed! No beer there.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #366 on: August 13, 2017, 11:33:11 am »

For those that are interested, rather than me listing each here, here is a site dedicated to Viaducts in the UK:
http://viaductsuk.com/viaducts/Index?sort=Length&sortdir=ASC&page=14

Each entry on that site leads to a image of every viaduct.

An example page: http://viaductsuk.com/viaducts/Details/501/coalbrookdale-viaduct
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #367 on: August 13, 2017, 04:34:50 pm »

"Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - Tintaldra Hotel is closed! No beer there."

Well, Bugger! I didn't know that had happened - must have snuck out the door reasonably recently, as my neighbours were only there last year.

The bits of bridge are still there, though, as  is the pub. Maybe someone who like the quiet life will take on the pub. I hear our 'local' is about to change hands, again!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #368 on: August 13, 2017, 07:20:27 pm »

I favorite building of mine on Michigan Avenue in Wayne, Michigan; photo taken from Google Street View.

It is a little run down, and maybe not as fine an example as buildings of similar style in Europe, but this is on a major road in the United States, and stands out in an area that was mostly undeveloped before the post-World-War-II boom. Other structures along the road are bland, modern, suburban buildings, and just about any historic building that had any character was ruined with wrong-headed renovations in the mid-twentieth-century mania for modernization.

Currently the building is apartments, but it must have originally been a commercial building. I imagine a bar or a bakery being on that lower floor.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #369 on: August 13, 2017, 10:40:23 pm »

Here's one that I had to share, even though it's hardley steampunk:

This is a highway "oasis" restaurant, of the type that that is familiar to anyone who's driven the Illinois Toll Road in the vicinity of Chicago, except that this is in England, and the dining counter is way cool. The Illinois buildings that supposedly inspired the English structures started out as (the now nearly extinct) Howard Johnson's restaurants and are now occupied by various fast food franchises. I don't know what restaurant this is in the English version.

I picture this structure adapted to the steampunk genre, with an exterior inspired by the famous Crystal Palace in Hyde Park, and an interior full of mechanization and chrome and brass fittings like the early automats. Diners may look down upon trains or steam car traffic.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #370 on: August 13, 2017, 11:53:47 pm »

I picture it demolished by 18lbers firing a mixture of canister, fragmentation, high explosive and round shot.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #371 on: August 28, 2017, 03:27:36 pm »

Now then, do you all recall a few weeks ago when I posted this?

Well.....

Quite closely, but not exactly, following it I have been 'a little bit busy'.  This is to 4mm/ft (1:76) scale.  A few sections and part plans to add to it (I may as well.  It only takes up about 1/3 of the A3 sheet it is drawn on.), and I might actually have an idea of how I can build the model. 
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #372 on: August 29, 2017, 09:01:27 am »

Dormer windows to complete - rather important - don't leave them out.

We will have to create a new thread - "modelling steamy steampunk buildings" - I look forward to seeing the result.

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #373 on: August 30, 2017, 04:54:47 pm »

Dormer windows to complete - rather important - don't leave them out.

We will have to create a new thread - "modelling steamy steampunk buildings" - I look forward to seeing the result.

The dormers to the turret?  Well, I do have to add some plans to the drawing too, so you never know.  They might make an appearance yet. 

"Model Steampunk Buildings" could be a promising thread- or even a general "Our Steampunk Architecture" one (as that would invite drawings, sketches and the like as well as just models). 
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #374 on: September 03, 2017, 03:53:57 am »

Fort Boyard:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phefN2WnpDg

-Karl
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: