The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 02:52:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fun Steampunk Mischief  (Read 4926 times)
Knight Walker
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2012, 05:26:50 pm »

Great story Coyote, it must have been like a scene from horror movie.

Tipping with old coins... I suppose period clothing helps people catch on.

Come to think of it, I've heard tell of people who've had security called on them for trying to pay with two dollar bills. It's legal tender, they're just no longer being printed. Of course eBay would have probably been a better deal for the customer, but apparently far too few people know about them.

The demise of the $2 bill has been  greatly exaggerated and can be obtained from most banks. Most of these rumors come from it actually being discontinued for a short time.

Whenever I can I pay in two dollar bills, silver dollars, and halve-dollars. Then sit back and what the casher call the manager and ask " Do we take these?"

I've even had someone pay me $3.00 for a $2.00 bill.

A well place stick of dynamite solves all problems.
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2012, 05:47:23 pm »

When I lived in Scotland, I used to save up pound notes, so that when I went to England (where they only had pound coins) I could spend them. If the barman/cashier didn't quibble about it ("Yes, it is legal tender") I'd usually get change from a fiver.
Being paid to drink - happy days...

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2012, 04:38:04 am »

Okay, here's a fun one. Set-up a job interview with a company that you would NEVER even CONSIDER working for, and wear your steampunk clothes to the interview. Then when (if) they start asking you the standard interview questions, answer as your persona would answer. Fun!!!
Or when they say "So..anything you'd like to ask us?"

"Would I get a designated parking space for my time machine?"
"Do you supply a luncheon for my manservant or would he have to supply his own?"
"Does your staff medical insurance cover me for rickets, dyptheria, tuberculosis and smallpox?"

And this is how we burn our emergency bridges. So, what do you do when they offer you the job because they like your originality?

Boston Jones
Gunner

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2012, 04:50:05 am »

Check to see how close the time machine parking space is  Grin

"Countries do not exist where I am from.
The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power,
 the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone.
It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."
-Eloi Cole
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2012, 10:20:38 am »

Okay, here's a fun one. Set-up a job interview with a company that you would NEVER even CONSIDER working for, and wear your steampunk clothes to the interview. Then when (if) they start asking you the standard interview questions, answer as your persona would answer. Fun!!!
Or when they say "So..anything you'd like to ask us?"

"Would I get a designated parking space for my time machine?"
"Do you supply a luncheon for my manservant or would he have to supply his own?"
"Does your staff medical insurance cover me for rickets, dyptheria, tuberculosis and smallpox?"

And this is how we burn our emergency bridges. So, what do you do when they offer you the job because they like your originality?

You say "I'd be delighted to be employed here! It will be such a vast improvement on my last place of employment. Would you believe my superviser was a woman!/ And the place was full of bally foreign johnnies!!"

Which should do the trick!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2012, 08:14:19 pm »

You say "I'd be delighted to be employed here! It will be such a vast improvement on my last place of employment. Would you believe my superviser was a woman!/ And the place was full of bally foreign johnnies!!"

Which should do the trick!

I am not so sure about that, since it pretty much describes the structure of the Empire of our own dear Victoria.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2012, 08:20:37 pm »

So, what do you do when they offer you the job because they like your originality?

You ask them how much it pays.

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2012, 11:23:01 pm »

I actually had a smal shop refuse to handle my wood turnings because I showed up wearing a pentagram ring.

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2012, 12:19:17 am »

I am not so sure about that, since it pretty much describes the structure of the Empire of our own dear Victoria
Precisely..an attitude that wouldn't get you employed today. Well in most places...although it could well make you promotion material in places like Romford!

I actually had a smal shop refuse to handle my wood turnings because I showed up wearing a pentagram ring.

Just a slight aside...I have a pentagram made out of coffee stirrers pinned up by my desk at work and one colleague said   "I didn't know you was Jewish!"  Roll Eyes
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2012, 01:35:10 am »

A number of years back I had a pentagram sun catcher hanging in the kitchen door.  Some of the friendly neighborhood evangelistic door knockers came by and I just pointed at the sun catcher. I got the same thing. "Sorry I didn't know you were Jewish" It was hard not to seriously crack up.
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2012, 03:28:46 am »

I am Roman Catholic. I have an acquaintance who is Eastern Orthodox (his family is Russian). Several people (who were all Prostestants) assumed we were both members of some non-Christian Eastern religion when we described what we consider to be typical Christian religious ceromonies.
cyberjacques
Zeppelin Captain

Inventor, Member of the Van Helsing Society

« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2012, 08:21:30 am »

Stand somewhere and watch a blank wall. Occasionally check your pocket watch, like you're waiting for something. See how many other people stop to see what you're looking at.

I actually did this inadvertently at the Texas Renfest this past year; I stood at the edge of the arena looking between my pocket watch and the arena floor, trying to figure out why there was no performance going on. I remember wondering why people were staring at me (I was the guy in a black vest, dark shirt, gray fedora with huge ostritch feather, possibles bag diagonally over one shoulder and across my back, and black "moccasins" on my feet - basically a modification of my texian Runaway Scrape outfit - and black trousers, my sungoggles either worn or hanging around my neck). A whole crowd of people gathered behind and around me, and stared and made whispered comments.

This sort of prank is highly entertaining!.  A friend from high school and I once performed what one might charitably call a psychology experiment at Disney Land, where we stood in one of its many large open spaces and simply stared up at the sky.  Every so often one of us would whisper to the other and point at something that wasn't there.  Someone would occasionally stop and ask what we were looking at, to which we would respond in a conspiratorial tone, "Don't you see it?" or "It's right there..."  After maybe twenty minutes we had actually gathered a group of perhaps eight people who were gazing upward and whispering to one another about the thing that wasn't there.

Now here's the best part!  After another minute or so, my friend and I made a slow and stealthy escape from the group, snickering about our little joke, only to pass that way again perhaps ten minutes later to find the size of the group had doubled!  Being just the tiniest bit freaked out over what we had somehow done and having not the slightest clue what to do about it, we left for another area of the park, trying not to laugh too absurdly.  The phenomenon had dissipated by the time we left the park several hours later, but we don't actually know how long it lasted.

"To mewl and blabber about a treasure map, in front of this particular crew, demonstrates a level of ineptitude that borders on the imbecilic.  And I mean that in a very caring way."
                                                     ~Captain Amelia of the RLS Legacy, Treasure Planet
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2015, 08:12:57 am »

Try this one, guys. I did this a couple times. Dress in full on safari khakis, pith helmet, etc. I look the part with my mutton chops. Then go a museum Dinosaur or Egyptian room and begin giving impromptu tours. I did this last year at Discovery Park America and had  some of their staff chuckling as I enthralled a small crowd with my description of the Cretaceous sea life until my wife showed up and took me away, to their astonishment.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: