The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 08:56:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fun Steampunk Mischief  (Read 4927 times)
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 04:38:58 am »

Have some kind of instrument in your hands that has gauges and lights on it, and walk around in a crowded place with a friend in full steampunk regalia, approch a random person and look at your friend and then act like you are examining the device in your hand. Then proceed to tell the random person that they must come with you to be decontaminated.

That might lead to trouble. Better to comment to your companion "This one's clean..."
Quite right...I was always one for trouble though. Grin

Suggesting strangers do anything needs to be approached with extreme caution. Some people will respond as if you are suggesting they drink poison.

Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 11:36:16 pm »

Have some kind of instrument in your hands that has gauges and lights on it, and walk around in a crowded place with a friend in full steampunk regalia, approch a random person and look at your friend and then act like you are examining the device in your hand. Then proceed to tell the random person that they must come with you to be decontaminated.

That might lead to trouble. Better to comment to your companion "This one's clean..."
Quite right...I was always one for trouble though. Grin

Suggesting strangers do anything needs to be approached with extreme caution. Some people will respond as if you are suggesting they drink poison.

*looks at device*
*looks at companion*
*looks back at stranger*
"Sir, if you would be so kind as to drink this poison."

Might as well just get right to the point. No need for being misinterpreted.

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 11:45:43 pm »

There should be a comment about "He/She's the one that wrecked our past?" in there somewhere before you ask them to drink poison.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 12:37:57 am »

"It's nothing personal, but all our attempts to prevent the rule of The Ice Queen have so far failed, so we are now going to attempt to eliminate her grandfather before she is born. Please have some perspective, it is only your life against millions she will send to the methane mines."

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012, 03:10:55 am »

Gosh, now I need to invent this device so that I can cause this mischief.
Maeg
Snr. Officer
Wales Wales

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »

I once set up on a nice victorian pier with a nice victorian plate camera, metered my scene and set the shutter and lens. Then came the wait for a cloud to move out of the way.

About five minutes later an oily* kid in his young teens swaggers** over and asks, with a somewhat cocky look at this idiot expression; "Whu' you doin'?"

"Waiting for the light" comes the nonchant reply. All things considered, I think this was a rather measured response, as my second and third thoughts were running something like this: I am standing here with a tripod and an iconic wood-and-bellows contraption with a stocking great brassy lens on the end. One could not be taking a photograph in a more overt fashion without writing 'I am taking a photograph' in five foot letters. On an elephant.

Heavy eyebrows knit together and the heavy perspiration of deep physical thought appears on his forehead. Seconds pass. Then:

"Bu' its daytime". Wow. My powers of observation had failed to notice. Thankyou for informing me good sir. Time to have some fun. *whispers*

"You can't see them unless the light is just right. Do you believe in ghosts?"

He gave a weird, unnerved look and took his loitering lackeys elsewhere. The sun came out and I got my shot.

M.

*His sebaceous glands could easily have solved all the worlds energy troubles.

** Hard to do when your waistband is hovering somewhere around your shins.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 09:23:34 pm »

So it's not just American teens. Not too long ago, I saw a young man run across the street clinging to his belt in order to keep his jeans up enough so that he could run. If you actually used the belt as intended, it would hold your pants up.

Perhaps we should hand out suspenders.
Lawrence Nathaniel Brassp
Deck Hand

Inventor, Bounty hunter, and Organ Repossession Man

ubercrock
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 09:57:37 pm »

That would be interesting...walking around with suspenders in a box, handing them out to all those people with,in the words of my father, "droopy drawers".

This is Night Surgeon, signing off.
Mad Maudlin
Snr. Officer

Defenestratrix

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 10:54:19 pm »

Could get costly. I suggest a good old-fashioned dancing flash mob. With the waltz.

To Hell with ponies, I want an Airship!
"...If I ever see anyone in a ‘sexy clockwork automaton’ costume they picked up off a supermarket shelf I’m going to beat them to death with their plastic cog mini-skirt..."
-Dylan Fox in issue 7 of <i>SteamPunk</i> magazine
dashboardpirate
Gunner

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 11:20:48 pm »

My friends and I like to dress up in interesting outfits and wander around downtown Olympia shouting random compliments at strangers. The outfits aren't necessarily steamy and neither are the compliments which are things like " Hey guy on the bike, sweet beard!" but its very amusing to see the looks on people's faces. We are also the same people who like to pose with the mannequins at the mall. We held a contest once for who could find and pose with the ugliest mannequin.

Insert random witty remark here
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 05:33:17 am »

My friends and I like to dress up in interesting outfits and wander around downtown Olympia shouting random compliments at strangers.

Now there's an idea. Drive-by Victorian compliments.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 07:24:02 am »

My friends and I like to dress up in interesting outfits and wander around downtown Olympia shouting random compliments at strangers.

Fly-by?
dashboardpirate
Gunner

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 07:26:00 am »

Fly-by?

Or bike by
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 08:34:54 am »

Fly-by?

Or bike by

Sounds to me like a drive-by shouting. Tongue

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 11:53:24 am »

So it's not just American teens. Not too long ago, I saw a young man run across the street clinging to his belt in order to keep his jeans up enough so that he could run. If you actually used the belt as intended, it would hold your pants up.

Perhaps we should hand out suspenders.

In Flint, MI, a couple of years ago, the police started arresting them for public indecency. Don't know if they still do or if it's done any good.

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 12:31:19 pm »

There was an incident recently reported in the papers about a teenage burglar who, when caught in flagrente tried to leg it and fell arse over apex when his low slung jeans slid down below his knees and tripped him up. By the time he'd got to his feet and pulled them up the policeman in pursuit  had nabbed him!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 01:11:49 pm »

There was an incident recently reported in the papers about a teenage burglar who, when caught in flagrente tried to leg it and fell arse over apex when his low slung jeans slid down below his knees and tripped him up. By the time he'd got to his feet and pulled them up the policeman in pursuit  had nabbed him!

I know a police officer that LOVES the low slung jeans and loved the brief period where led lights on adult sized shoes was popular among.... ummm.... certain groups with lesser regard for the rule of law. He said it made them easier to catch if they ran. ( the lights helped at night )

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 02:59:29 pm »

Fly-by?

Or bike by

Sounds to me like a drive-by shouting. Tongue

*riding by on your choice of bike* LOVELY HAT, MADAM!

*Note: be sure to use any and all sounds making equipment such as a bell, horn, or gyroscopically stabilized gramophone to announce your presence before the salvo of pleasantries. Otherwise it may be less awkward or strange an event. And we wouldn't want that to happen.
dashboardpirate
Gunner

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 05:29:50 am »

*riding by on your choice of bike* LOVELY HAT, MADAM!

*Note: be sure to use any and all sounds making equipment such as a bell, horn, or gyroscopically stabilized gramophone to announce your presence before the salvo of pleasantries. Otherwise it may be less awkward or strange an event. And we wouldn't want that to happen.

Extra points if the Madam in question turns out to be a Sir, or vice versa
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 07:31:40 am »

I think that's a point deduction, after all these are supposed to be compliments.
Captain Braid
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2012, 07:37:30 am »

I quite often just randomly smile and nod at strangers.
Nice to see that I often get a smile back.

Experienced enough to know my limitations,
Old enough to know better,
Relaxed enough not to care.
dashboardpirate
Gunner

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2012, 09:06:50 am »

I think that's a point deduction, after all these are supposed to be compliments.

True enough, unless you're going for the awkward/embarrassing factor... then all intent of compliment goes out the window.
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2012, 10:37:54 am »

Anecdotes from someone I know who is a police custody chap suggest that, when making offensive gestures at the cell CCTV camera and trying to show off one's attitude, having one's trousers fall down removes the last of what little gravitas one had left at the point.

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2012, 01:30:49 am »

as random part goers if they notice a distinct odor of linden trees in the air  Cheesy

"To the Penny farthings!" and run away.

steampunknarwhal
Deck Hand

Steampunk Narwhal... what a wonderful combination!

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2012, 12:44:55 am »

Although it is hard to find steampunk/Victorian clothing articles in young adult sizes, I am still looking. I am very eager to try these. Now for my suggestion: Buy a plain plastic ocarina* and add gears, cogs, lights, brass paint, ect. and go to a fairly crowded place {mall, sporting event, ect.} dressed in steampunk attire and play any ocarina song you know or have learned. You should get some funny looks, questions, or swears. Don't respond, just run away chuckling.

* a plastic or ceramic flutelike instrument consisting of 5,6,10, or 12 holes and a mouth hole. Featured in The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. Very easy and fun to play. Plastic is much cheaper.

See the TURTLE of enormous girth!
On his shell he holds the earth.
If you want to run and play,
Walk along the BEAM today!
                      -Stephen King's "The Wastelands"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: