The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 12:57:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk in the News- what the papers say...  (Read 31655 times)
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 29, 2012, 01:45:37 pm »

Browsing the BBC news website I came across a small video item on the Whitby goth weekend, and noticed that a couple of steampunks make a quick appearance:

Anyone here /  we know?  Smiley

They look familiar somehow...

SS
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:50:16 pm by Herr Döktor » Logged

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:28:04 am »

That can' t be a photo from this year. It's not raining.

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 03:33:56 am »

I've still never been, but I was actually quite surprised when perusing WGW photo archives, just how long (what appears to be) Steampunks have been appearing there. Like this one from 2007, but I've definitely seen far older ones still.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:39:35 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:50:17 am »

A nice little thread to act as a scrapbook for all those mentions of steampunk in the mainstream newspapers and magazines, rather than have lots of other little threads pop up and then vanish.

For you edification The Guardian had its 2 page photospread for Whitby Goth Weekend entitled "Steampunk Beside The Sea". The pictures were predominantly of steampunks rather than Goths, it made it look as though we had hijacked the event.

(Which of course we had, as we have all the rayguns  Grin)

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
yaghish
Gunner
Netherlands Netherlands

Aethernaut

schlimazlnik
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:31:42 pm »

There has been an article on steampunk in De Gids, 3/2012. This is the oldest Dutch magazine on literature (it was est. in 1837) and it is well-respected. Auhtor is Dirk van Weelden. Title: Opstand tegen het heden (something like "Rise against Today"). Dutchpunks who'd like to read it have to buy De Groene Amsterdammer, which has taken over De Gids.

The article offers an overview of the history of steampunk, starting with Gibsons/Sterlings The Difference Engine. It also names a Dutch commercial, that is supposed to be steampunk:
Klene - Beter dan best

Large part of the article is about issue 8 of SteamPunkMagazine and the Occupy relation.
Illustrated by steampunked cell phones as made by Ivan Mavrovic.

When there's a will, there's a dirigible to take you there
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 04:33:06 pm »

Here's a page from the online Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/picture/2012/apr/30/eyewitness-whitby-north-yorkshire?INTCMP=SRCH

Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:24:08 pm »

Well, I merged these two threads, and the final thing seems to have ended up in Metaphysical  Undecided

On the other hand, I was going to suggest that Textual wasn't the best place for a steampunk news thread anyway...

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 07:51:01 pm »

Well, I merged these two threads, and the final thing seems to have ended up in Metaphysical  Undecided

On the other hand, I was going to suggest that Textual wasn't the best place for a steampunk news thread anyway...

Hope you don't mind, Sir Nik, but I've changed the thread's title to better reflect it's contents!

Wink
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 07:54:59 pm »

Even better!  Grin
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 08:11:02 pm »

Another one here:

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/29/11458136-goths-gather-in-england-to-celebrate-all-things-dark-and-mysterious
yaghish
Gunner
Netherlands Netherlands

Aethernaut

schlimazlnik
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 07:23:16 am »

Well, I merged these two threads
Too bad. My more generel "steampunk in the news" post doesn't match with the specific "Whitby Goth Weekend"-posts.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 08:39:04 am »

Well, I merged these two threads
Too bad. My more generel "steampunk in the news" post doesn't match with the specific "Whitby Goth Weekend"-posts.

On the contrary, sir — the "Whitby Goth Weekend" posts fit in quite well with your more-general "Steampunk in the News" thread.

It's all a matter of perspective…

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 08:53:15 am »

Some really nice stories and photos. Just remember to steer clear of the comments section. There's always a few "normal" people who have to be rude and obnoxious.  Shocked

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 11:15:14 am »

Browsing the BBC news website I came across a small video item on the Whitby goth weekend, and noticed that a couple of steampunks make a quick appearance:

Anyone here /  we know?  Smiley

They look familiar somehow...

SS

I'm pretty  sure that they are Vincent and his daughter, who is called Jessica (IIRC) who were at the Watercress Line day out..

A work colleague told me he saw my picture at Whitby in The Guardian. I said it couldn't have been me as I wasn't there.He said "Well it looked like you..your height, same moustache..Victorian frock coat and top hat" I had to laugh and say that description could fit  dozens of steampunks. It's like saying you thought you saw a Goth friend you knew because he had long black hair an ankle length black leather coat, skull t-shirt and New Rocks...it's practically a uniform!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:38:33 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 01:12:20 am »

*notices thread changes*  Hey, this is a pretty good idea! There's loads of orphaned threads on this topic, makes sense to have a dedicated place for these posts.  Smiley

SS
Mrs. Whatsit
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 03:44:29 pm »

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/waltham/2012/05/steampunk_festival_in_waltham_1.html

Nice press for a Waltham, Mass. event.

“Life, with its rules, its obligations, and its freedoms, is like a sonnet: You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself."
Mrs. Whatsit
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 04:40:08 am »

Steampunk World's Fair 2012 News
http://gothamist.com/2012/05/21/steampunk_worlds_fair_2012.php#photo-1

Chepstow (Waltz on the Wye)
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/gwentnews/9716556.500_flock_to_Chepstow_steampunk_festival/
Mrs. Whatsit
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 12:20:50 am »

http://www.wireservice.ca/index.php?module=News&func=display&sid=8210

Go Canada!

http://www.nctimes.com/entertainment/attractions/past-meets-future-in-auto-museum-s-imagination-powered-steampunk/article_91c9a2ab-573f-5127-88bb-c270a0d0f6f0.html 
San Diego, CA
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:25:09 am by Mrs. Whatsit » Logged
Boston Jones
Gunner

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 11:05:45 pm »

San Diego Steam seems to be infatuated with auto motives

"Countries do not exist where I am from.
The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power,
 the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone.
It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."
-Eloi Cole
Delireus
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 09:25:38 am »

This is just a little article printed by my local town's new alternative newspaper a few months ago, but it makes me laugh every time I read it. The entire newspaper that week was 1930's themed, and the vocabulary reflects the time period. Reporters came to our weekly steampunk meeting one night, asking to do an article on us, but they never really asked questions, they just came and engaged in our weekly crafts, which was making chainmail that night. I learned why they never asked anything, the article was a fake! Sort of...it was more of a blown up hoax, I guess to get people interested, but I assure you we've never had plans to build a 'flying tank' (that they knew of)  Cheesy

Anyways, even though I was completely unprepared for the article, I just love it. I was partly worried they would make fun of us in a rude way, but the reporters consisted of a nearly 7 foot tall gentleman with a dashing handlebar mustache and a girl with purple hair, so I figured they probably 'got' the whole weirdness of our group. That's me in the bottom photo!

Kansas steampunks - http://thehypeweekly.com/2011/11/16/crack-team-of-inventors-plan-to-build-flying-tank-airship-to-combat-evildoers/

Home is where the faire is
Jedediah Solomon
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

If all else fails, get a larger hammer

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 10:07:30 am »

...it was more of a blown up hoax, I guess to get people interested, but I assure you we've never had plans to build a 'flying tank' (that they knew of)  Cheesy

Kansas steampunks - http://thehypeweekly.com/2011/11/16/crack-team-of-inventors-plan-to-build-flying-tank-airship-to-combat-evildoers/

Just remember, keep the flying tank on the other side of the secret sliding wall, you certainly don't want them knowing shit .....stuff like that!  Don't worry, nobody on this forum will tell, right folks?

Adventure awaits
Mrs. Whatsit
Snr. Officer

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 02:17:23 am »

...it was more of a blown up hoax, I guess to get people interested, but I assure you we've never had plans to build a 'flying tank' (that they knew of)  Cheesy

Just remember, keep the flying tank on the other side of the secret sliding wall, you certainly don't want them knowing shit .....stuff like that!  Don't worry, nobody on this forum will tell, right folks?
Really great article.  It does sound like the interlopers had fun meeting you.
Delireus
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 08:40:58 am »

Be that as it may, I must insist, we don't have any plans for anything that flies ...

Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 12:05:13 pm »

Be that as it may, I must insist, we don't have any plans for anything that flies ...

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Mrs. Whatsit
Snr. Officer

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 08:32:48 pm »

Blurb about Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118030-ConTemporal-Steampunk-Con-Comes-to-Escapist-Land

Bradford, UK
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/9775119.Bradford_becomes_a_Mecca_for_Steampunk_aficionados/

I've never heard of Bradford, UK before, but there are a lot of cities in the UK that escape me.  Is it really a Mecca for Steampunk?  or did the reporter just make this up?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:59:04 pm by Mrs. Whatsit » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: