The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 08:59:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do I Remove Mildew Smell?  (Read 18440 times)
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 03:04:49 pm »

Half and half? That's always worked for me.

I use vodka for cleaning the windows too lol.

Half and half? Doesn't that start to smell like spoiled milk after a while?  Grin

I've never kept any long enough to find out... I just make up a small amount of solution and use it when needed.

I did a web-hunt and it seems that a 2/3 vodka to 1/3 water solution is more popular, perhaps this is why.

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
hexidecima
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 08:42:32 pm »

Told you about the cats.
having a suitcase and litter would be a potent mix considering how my cats like both.  perhaps a new form of energy can be devised from this  Grin
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 06:43:09 pm »

A thumbs up for cedar.

I've found that a mix of dry cedar shavings or sawdust along with dried lavender will take the unpleasant smell out as well as drawing out the mildew (and killing it) and moisture, thereby solving the problem.  This is our mix to get rid of all sorts on rotten smells.

Check out "Strewing Herbs" for old tyme solutions for stuff like this.

It works for Skunk too.

Vodka won't work, because it leaks out of the bottle and into you causing undue giddiness.

Onward ho!
EScoggin
Deck Hand

If the hammer doesn't work...get a bigger one!

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 07:21:59 pm »

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but salt works good too, just sprinkle the salt to cover the bottom of the suitcase and leave it over night. That should take care of a lot of the smell 'cause the salt pulls the moisture and odor out. Hope this helps.

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
 ~ John Wayne, American Actor
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 03:01:06 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion! I have been putting-off posting, because I am not positive, but I think the one (or all Wink) of the various tricks I tried worked!  The only odor I detect now is the scent of the ozium, and maybe that will also fade. Since the weather here is so dry, I'll just leave it in the sun for another month or so. I just hope the wasps won't nest in it!!!!!

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012, 07:05:22 pm »

One option is simply to get a mold-killing spray, saturate the object, and then put it in a heavy plastic garbage bag. Seal the bag airtight. Seal that bag in a second bag, and seal that airtight. You have now created an environment in which mold cannot live.  Keep the bags sealed for two or three months, and all the mold should die off. I've successfully gotten the mold out of boots this way.
ThriftyVictorian
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 02:45:58 am »

I applaud all those who attempt to remove mildew from their various objects!

Recently I tossed a suitcase which matched an "overnight bag" I still have - because there was mildew on the interior material, and in the past I've had poor outcomes with mildew-removal attempts.

i feel I have to respond to the posters who seemed to be suggesting that bleach will kill mildew/mold - in my experience, with mold in the wc, this is not true - it simply bleaches the mold, and it continues to proliferate, showing up again at the edges of the bleached areas.
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 08:04:32 am »

These methods probably work for items like suitcases, but how does one remove the mold/mildew odour from books?

I have two books, two of my most-used reference books in fact, that have somehow picked up  some kind of mold/mildew affliction; I get a stuffy nose, watery eyes, raw throat and a headache every time I try to read them for anything more than 2-3 minutes. And these are not ancient, 19th century leather-bound tomes either, but both fairly new (1961 and 2000) good quality hard-cover books printed on heavy coated paper. I have a fairly extensive library of several hundred books and magazines, both hard cover and paperbacks, many dating back to the 1920s, but for some reason only these two seem to be infected.

I don't think I want to soak them in bleach or alcohol (!), but if anyone has any good ideas I'd be most grateful.

Athanor

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2012, 12:33:46 am »

How about putting the books in the hot sun for a week or so? (maybe inside some sort of clear box of glass or heavy plastic) My suitcase is still open on the back porch in the sun, after weeks and weeks, and I don't know if that has helped. (I cannot bear to check on it and find out that it still smells-so I am ignoring it for the rest of the summer.  Wink)
timetravelerboutique
Swab

Gravatar

ForTimeTraveler
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 01:23:31 am »

Do not try the cat litter thing if you have cats, a suitcase full of cat letter will be irresistable.

Good Point Mr. Harrow.  The only thing I know to get rid of mildew is bleach.  Like others have stated, mildew is organic and needs to be killed in order to stop the smell.  Alcohol will stop the growth of mildew, but won't necessarily kill what's already there.  Since bleach might ruin the lining of your suitcase, I would try contacting a carpet-cleaning company for advice, or maybe even a museum?

There we stood, ten against a thousand.  And they rushed us, and we slew all ten of them.-Histain
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: