The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 04:30:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do I Remove Mildew Smell?  (Read 18439 times)
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: April 24, 2012, 02:45:46 pm »

I have a small antique suitcase that I'd like to do something steamy with. My father had it, and it's in good shape.(lining as well as outside) My problem is that it has a fairly strong mildew odor. Can anyone give me some tips for removing that odor? As I said, the lining is in great shape, so I don't want to remove it. Help, please!

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 03:30:13 pm »

you could try FeBreze....? or a similar product.....

http://www.febreze.com/

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
hexidecima
Officer

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:55:38 pm »

fill it with clay kitty litter.  let set for a week.  should help. 
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 04:20:49 pm »

Fill it full of excrement and water

That way you have a bad case of diarrhoea.

That should mask the mildew smell.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:24:35 pm by Mr Peter Harrow, Esq » Logged

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 04:23:52 pm »

An alternative to Febreeze is to spray it with a mixture of cheap vodka and water; more cost affective and removes the odour as opposed to replacing it with some kind of 'fresh' scent.

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 05:55:21 pm »

An alternative to Febreeze is to spray it with a mixture of cheap vodka and water; more cost affective and removes the odour as opposed to replacing it with some kind of 'fresh' scent.

Either Fabreeze is very expensive where you are, or the cheap vodka is very, very cheap!

For the case, I'd suggest anything that absorbs moisture; silica crystals (little sachets of them are often stashed in the tissue paper that lines shoe boxes and handbags, but that's not an excuse to go shopping!  Smiley) or clay kitty litter as suggested above. Scrubbing with bicarb of soda should remove any mildew residue.

Remember to post pics of it being "steamy'ed up".

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 06:44:33 pm »

Febreeze is pretty expensive for what it is and you don't need a lot of vodka. I did say the cheap stuff, you know the stuff that is only worth cleaning with because it tastes like hairspray...
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 07:19:23 pm »

Cheesy
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 10:23:49 pm »

Mr Harrow, For Shame!!!! Shocked I hope I don't have to try your suggestion..
I may try the Vodka trick. I have some cheap stuff that I don't mind using, and I don't care for the Febreze odor too much. (Although I will try it as a last resort) What proportion of Vodka to water do you suggest, Flightless Phoenix?
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 05:31:56 pm »

Half and half? That's always worked for me.

I use vodka for cleaning the windows too lol.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 05:35:30 am »

Mildew, Like Mold, is an organic plant life that thrives in damp places and can penetrate porous surfaces. They both reproduce via spores which can survive in a dormant state for long periods of time. The goal is to kill the plant and spores without damaging the goods.

Fabreeze is a strange product that neither kills the mold/mildew nor actually removes the airborne particles, but the manufacturer uses pseudoscience to claim that the so-called "odor molecule" is encapsulated and "trapped" by the ring-shaped active ingredient beta-cyclodextrin.

Many folks who are sensitive to chemicals or corn products are adversely affected by the product.

Since the mildew is not removed, it is only a matter of time before it begins to grow once more.

Mildew and mold can be effectively "killed" by alcohol, bleach, UV light,  or peroxide. Your treasure can be heavily sprayed with Inexpensive rubbing alcohol, washed thouroughly to remove the spores, and when dry, dosed with ordinary baking soda (use lots).

You "may" need to remove the lining for proper cleaning.

Exposure to fresh air and bright sunlight can help as well.

Kitty litter can help by absorbing the water and drying out your treasure.

If there are any leather parts, once cleaned they will need to be restored with a good leather conditioning oil.

hope this helps (especially in light of the previous replies)

yhs
Prof Marvel
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:55:11 am by Prof Marvel » Logged

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Captain Braid
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 05:19:46 pm »

Try finding someone who uses a lot of Cedar in woodworking and Scrounge their wood shavings.
Cedar does have a very good ability to eliminate smells, it may not be fully effective against the spores but it should help.

Experienced enough to know my limitations,
Old enough to know better,
Relaxed enough not to care.
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 08:41:19 pm »

Thanks to all of you who responded.  I am currently trying the rubbing alcohol spray.  I sprayed it twice so far, and when dry, it still smells of mold. Since the rain seems to have stopped for a while, I am going to put the suitcase, open, in the sun  for a few days. Hope it works!
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 10:19:18 pm »

Do not try the cat litter thing if you have cats, a suitcase full of cat letter will be irresistable.
Captain Quinlin Hopkins
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 04:07:20 am »

Ozone, it is your only hope of killing all spores   Anything that sparks will generate ozone, or you can get a professional model to do it.  The best to find would be for a local company who does restorations of fire items from houses.  There are also aerosol cans available if you look long enough.  Do not be tricked by things using the name ozone, make sure it contains actual ozone.  Some home air freshener machines generate ozone.  They will smell like a fresh rain.  Be careful as it is a bleaching agent. And be sure to properly treat the leather after as mentioned.

Sincerely,
Captain Quinlin Hopkins (Hoppy)

Do not ignore the freedoms of someone else, for eventually you will be someone else! 

DFW Steampunk Illumination Society
Uncle Arthur
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 11:57:38 pm »

When I operated my auto trim shop I often did up interiors from autos where there had been serious injuries. The only product I found that would kill those odors consistently was Ozium. I think i have seen it in the automotive section of Walmart since.  For general musty smells in luggage I have had good luck with leaving it full of crumpled newspapers for a few days. No idea why it works but is seems to.

If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 12:52:23 am »

Febreeze is pretty expensive for what it is and you don't need a lot of vodka. I did say the cheap stuff, you know the stuff that is only worth cleaning with because it tastes like hairspray...

Isn't that all vodka ?

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Dave_G
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 01:54:52 am »

I used the leather cleaning fluid we got with  our 3 piece on a rather mouldy "Gentlemans case" I purchased recently.... It cleaned off the original spores............. only time will tell..........."

"Watcher of the skies.... watcher of all"
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 03:26:28 pm »

This attempt is beginning to be a bit of an obsession for me. I have the suitcase outside in the open, and keep spraying it with the alcohol and water mix every time I pass it. So far the smell is a bit more faint, but still there. I 'm ready to move on to other sprays.  I'll look for the Ozium when I am at Walmart again. (Now, if I can just keep the barn cats from sleeping in the suitcase...)
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 06:32:36 pm »

Told you about the cats.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 12:53:00 pm »

Isn't that all vodka ?

What vodka have you been drinking? I rather think that some of the good ones taste good and burn the throat in a pleasant manner. I recommend Russian Standard vodka, it's a bit pricy but not ridiculously so (at least here in the UK) and very palatable.

Maybe the cat fur will absorb the smell of the mildew? =P
I'm sad to hear you aren't having much luck. I hope the Ozone works better.
Indigo Spire
Officer

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 11:49:16 pm »

Either Fabreeze is very expensive where you are, or the cheap vodka is very, very cheap!

For the case, I'd suggest anything that absorbs moisture; silica crystals (little sachets of them are often stashed in the tissue paper that lines shoe boxes and handbags, but that's not an excuse to go shopping!  Smiley) or clay kitty litter as suggested above. Scrubbing with bicarb of soda should remove any mildew residue.

Remember to post pics of it being "steamy'ed up".

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.........the high price of Fabreeze....hahahahah.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 08:39:01 am »

Does your suitcase smell like it belongs to an alcoholic or college frat boy yet?   Grin

I am always reluctant to use booze for cleaning for that particular reason, although when my town got hit by a flood and lost power I found myself using absinthe to disinfect things including myself.  It worked rather well actually.  I wouldn't recommend a nice bottle of absinthe exclusively for cleaning, but if you have any, a little bit goes a long way and leaves a nice anise smell. 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 09:59:15 am »

Half and half? That's always worked for me.

I use vodka for cleaning the windows too lol.

Half and half? Doesn't that start to smell like spoiled milk after a while?  Grin

I had a (modern, plastic) suitcase with mildew a couple of years ago. I used a little bit of chlorine and hot water. The smell was almost gone, but stil lingers. The smell disapeared after a couple of days in the sun on the lawn. Grass seemed to reduce the smell.
Basically, what you have to do is get rid of the remaining mildew and air the suitcase with dry air. Many posters before me have different ways to do this, but it all comes down to removing mildew and dry air.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Zelkovaz
Swab

Spain Spain

Silversmith boatswain

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 10:20:38 am »

Some time ago I had some boxes with mildew which I finally got rid of them because the smell was unbearable. Next time I'll know what to do, many thanks to all of you! Smiley

Finest Steampunk Jewelry since 2010 | www.decimononic.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: