The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 09:00:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do-it-yourself pressure gauges  (Read 16922 times)
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« on: April 12, 2012, 10:18:16 am »

I hope its alright to post links like this here. Its not my work, but I thought it might be helpful for beginning steampunk artists. I've been looking at metal rings, and closet clothes bar holders. I never though to check a party store!

Anyway, heres a video explaining a cheap method of making simple prop gauges.

steampunk gages.wmv
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 07:07:40 am by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
king of diamonds
Gunner
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:32:12 am »

That's just what I'm after for my steam cane. Thanks for sharing
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:58:19 am »

Made my first gauge using this technique. I'm rather happy with how it came out.

I added the random brass bits to make the picture more interesting. I have other plans for the finished gauge.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:08:51 pm by Herbert West » Logged
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 12:59:47 am »

Made my first gauge using this technique. I'm rather happy with how it came out.

I added the random brass bits to make the picture interesting. I have plans for the finished gauge.

What was it before it became a gauge?

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 01:45:11 am »

Ta-da! $.99 at a party supply store. Only place I could find it since most shops don't carry stuff this cheap and nasty. I swear, I was able to break the thing in half with my hands. I was a little too rough on the one on the Right.

Like in the video, I took it apart, hit it with some brass spraypaint, Photoshopped and printed out the dial, cut out the needle from some scrap plastic, and added the screws and metal hub from bits I had in the hardware drawer.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:49:44 am by Herbert West » Logged
rod-on
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 07:04:43 am »

excellent idea
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 04:11:41 pm »

Ta-da! $.99 at a party supply store. Only place I could find it since most stores don't carry stuff this cheap and nasty. I swear, I was able to break the thing in half with my hands. As you can tell I was a little too rough on the one on the Right.

Like in the video, I took it apart, hit it with some brass spraypaint, Photoshopped and printed out the dial, cut out the needle from some crap plastic, and added the screws and metal hub from bits I had in the hardware drawer.

The metal bit is a valve off a helium balloon tank with a clock key stuck in the end. Theres actually still a real pressure gauge underneath the fake one.

THANKS!..... It is actually more impressive knowing what it was before it became a pressure gauge.

I'd have to hide the yo-yo from my daughter if I expected to get to keep it though....
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 03:37:58 am »

One suggestion for getting the clear plastic cover off btw, is after you break the yo-yo into two pieces,  poke a hole in the plastic in the backside of the half underneath the picture, then use a blunt tipped item like a Phillips head screwdriver or chopstick, to carefully push the clear plastic cap off from the inside. Less change of scratching the plastic than the method used in the video clip. At least on my Yo-yo's the things weren't glued together. Just inserted rather tightly.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:21:00 am by Herbert West » Logged
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 04:03:26 am »

Glad I noticed this post, I been thinking on making some gauges and this sure as hell helps!

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 06:44:55 am »

I've put up a few gauge face designs on my DeviantArt page if anyone needs them.

http://herbertw.deviantart.com/art/Metaphysical-Gauges-335601199
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 01:44:56 am »

I have found another possible source for DIY gauge parts...

I like the possibility of getting the same size case over and over....

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=44948&cat=1,43326,44948

IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 10:00:22 pm »

I'm sure I've seen this done before, but I'd completely forgotten about it, so thanks for posting it, and massive thanks for the dial faces - they're great  Grin

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 03:30:05 pm »

Aha! After much searching in the local stores, I found the yo yo's and bought a couple. With the face designs from Mr. West, I am on my way to some lovely pressure gauges. Now- what to use them on?....Never mind, something will occur to me! Thanks, Mr. West!

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 03:29:52 am »

I went to party stores and a dollar store and cant seem to find that yoyo type anywhere.

also hate having no good photo editing software.... MS paint only resizes by pixels not inches or centimeters >_<
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:49:10 am by Steam Titan » Logged
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 02:39:56 pm »

Do you have a Party City store?  That's where I found mine.
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 03:13:28 pm »

We do. They had a full Disney Princess and Faeries section and neither had yoyos. Had great hopes for it going in. Perhaps I should just check back another time.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 04:18:16 pm »

Has anyone seen these available in Australia? I found 'wedding favor tins' that are 2" which might do, but I was hoping to 1.5" as I was going to use the tops as goggle lenses and 2" is a little on the large side

Kindest regards, Raven

Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 09:29:06 pm »

Has anyone seen these available in Australia? I found 'wedding favor tins' that are 2" which might do, but I was hoping to 1.5" as I was going to use the tops as goggle lenses and 2" is a little on the large side

oh goggle lenses with those.... that's a good idea
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 08:40:17 pm »

We do. They had a full Disney Princess and Faeries section and neither had yoyos. Had great hopes for it going in. Perhaps I should just check back another time.

Try checking the party favors section. They had a bunch of yoyo's all lumped together. Disney, Transformers, Toy Story, GI Joe, etc. I just picked the Fairies because it was a light color that I figred would make painting easier.
elShoggotho
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 09:14:17 pm »

Looks quite great if you need a nonfunctional gauge for whatever esoteric purpose. I only use gauges if I need moving parts. You can easily hack a low range voltmeter to do all the pressure gauging you might need.
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 06:42:35 pm »

I made these cufflinks earlier using those marvellous gauges provided by Mr West. I reduced the gauges to 18mm and bumped up the resolution to 300dpi to keep them legible. I put a blob of brass paint in the middle and stuck the needle to that. The needle is horsehair.

The resin leaked slightly which I was a bit miffed about until the missus mentioned that it made them look old, so I'm now saying I did it on purpose  Grin

I'm still not entirely happy with the results - I may print some on vinyl and see how that works.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 04:38:45 am »

Cuff links are a nice idea for gauges.

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 03:37:49 am »

Heres another gauge design. Just print it out at 100% and it should fit nicely into a yoyo half. Smiley

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 02:10:54 am »

Making some more gauges so thought I'd share some new designs. these are all designed to fit the plastic yo-yo mentioned previously. Though I suppose they can be resized.

These seem to look best if printed out on light tan cardstock.

It took me awhile to figure out how to make needles, but I finally came up with a plan to simply printing it out on transparent plastic sheet and cut out the disk. Glue a small washer, nailhead, a small cardboard square, anything that will fit under the center disk of the needle and keep it raised slightly above the gauge face onto the center of the gauge, and lay the clear plastic needle layer on top of that.

You should end up with something like this. Just snap the clear plastic cover on, and you're done.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:21:27 am by Herbert West » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 01:46:31 pm »

Making some more gauges so thought I'd share some new designs. these are all designed to fit the plastic yo-yo mentioned previously. Though I suppose they can be resized.

(Snip)
Those absolutely look the part. Lovely work, and thank you for sharing these ideas - I have an empty powder compact with a clear lid that I've been trying to think what to do with. I'd like to do a variation on this theme, to make it a functional compass with an antiqued dial inspired by your gauges (all my current compasses are far too modern).

Yours,
Miranda.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: