The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 06:22:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian food brands still extant  (Read 116364 times)
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1200 on: November 21, 2017, 12:17:28 pm »

True, unclebert, but I don't like an excessive amount of salt.  Very rarely cook with it, and rarely use it on my food - except, of course, on my spuds!
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1201 on: November 29, 2017, 06:06:18 pm »

How do we access lists from various countries?  I'm looking for Spain today.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1202 on: November 30, 2017, 11:22:39 pm »

We don't have a Spanish list, we have a Mexican list that might have some Spanish inspired items.

Lightquick - Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1203 on: December 01, 2017, 12:18:41 am »

How do we access lists from various countries?  I'm looking for Spain today.

We don't have a Spanish list, we have a Mexican list that might have some Spanish inspired items.

There is no Spanish list. The "curated" lists are for the UK, the USA, Mexico and Japan. Informally, without actually listing them by country in a single page, the European brands we found are just peppered throughout the whole thread... which does make it difficult to track, because in contrast, when I want something from a list- say the US or Japan, I just have to find the latest post in this thread where I updated the whole list (always hidden in a spoiler, and I keep a copy in my computer at home).  I think Prof Cecily shared a couple of items two years ago in December (page 35) and in May 2016 (page 39)...

I'm afraid the Mexican list will be of very little to no help as it is very short and by the 19th. C Mexico was quite divorced from the Spanish markets. By the late 19th. C. Spain was no longer a potent force in Mexican culture. Non-Hispanic migrants like Italians (i.e. Chocolate Turin, Pasteleria El Globo) and French migrants, and even a few Germans (eg Pacifico Beer), had long taken the place of the Spanish as the merchant class in Mexican society. And that not even mentioning the influence of last-quarter century British brands, and American companies in Mexico at the turn of the 20th. C. So you'll find little Spanish connection to Mexican brands and a surprising number of non Hispanic foreign names instead.

Most Spanish-derived Mexican foods are traditional and predate the supermarket, no later than 1800, and going back as far as the 1600s or even earlier possibly just after the Conquest of the Aztec in 1521 (eg Chorizo sausage, made from pork offal and sweet chile pepper a/k/a paprika, is possibly one Renaissance Era food) and thus enter under the category of "vittles' and not "brands." In contrast, the French influenced Mexican foods start to appear around the 1830s or so, and cement their presence after the French Intervention of the 1860s. The Italians come in during the 1880s, and American brands don't come in until the last decade or so of the 19th. C (note that the Mexican War of Independence happened between 1810 and 1821).

The only Pre-20th C common foods between Spain and Mexico that may have supermaket brands are possibly wines (including sweet wines like Jerez/Sherry) and sweets, like Chocolate. One brand that comes to mind, Ibarra, makes the Renaissance Era class of Mexican-Spanish early un-emulsified chocolates with cinnamon and almond - literally this is the oldest iteration of chocolate-proper anywhere in the world (i.e. chocolate = cocoa+cane sugar). But I don't think Ibarra is a Victorian brand, so I didn't include it if I remember correctly. One exception of a Victorian Era brand might be Sidral Mundet (literally the world's first apple soda), which is a Spanish-founded brand in Mexico - but I don't think the brand was ever sold in Spain.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:17:01 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: