The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 12:31:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian food brands still extant  (Read 113513 times)
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #1175 on: October 06, 2017, 11:02:59 pm »

unclebert, spoken by one who hasn't tasted the pleasure of crumpets and honey - the melted butter and honey mix oozing through the lovely hot, toasted crumpet - bliss!

Agreed - isn't that what the holes are for?

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1176 on: October 07, 2017, 12:18:50 am »

Absolutely! And that nicely toasted spongey bottom!
I want crumpets and honey now, but no crumpets - fortunately the local IGA is only 200 metres away!!
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1177 on: October 07, 2017, 02:58:09 am »

I'll go and get the cheese.

Lightquick - Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1178 on: October 07, 2017, 02:11:15 pm »

Will have to be tomorrow - oops - this morning, as I didn't go out today - oops - yesterday!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1179 on: October 07, 2017, 08:28:16 pm »

Will have to be tomorrow - oops - this morning, as I didn't go out today - oops - yesterday!

Can you imagine living on an island right on the international date line?

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1180 on: October 08, 2017, 01:24:13 am »

I really hate daylight savings time! And it was after 12 midnight here when I made the post, but in real time it was after 11. We have the bloody thing for 6 months, my body clock just gets used to it and it gets changed back - grr!

And, as the cats can't tell the time, they get as confused as I do, because cats have a curfew - no outside between 7 pm and 7 am. Although, up here in the mountains, with not many houses around and not many other cats an hour or so either way doesn't make a difference. Also, they can only go out for an hour or so in the relatively cool early morning, because of the snakes being out and about now. I would really like to have words with whoever or whatever decided that venomous snakes come out in the daytime, and non-venomous come out at night!!

Sorry about the hijack - back to food! I had Pecks Anchovy Paste on toast yesterday. Few people outside of Australia have probably heard of Peck’s, the tasty meat spread in four varieties – deviled ham, chicken and ham, anchovette, and salmon and lobster – that are spread on toast, crackers and sandwiches.

Millions in Australia, however, grew up on the product that arrived from Great Britain in 1904, and had its strongest sales in the 1950s and 1960s.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1181 on: October 08, 2017, 03:55:31 pm »

Can you imagine living on an island right on the international date line?

I had an idea to book an island-hopping New Year's Eve party that crosses the date line to celebrate the new year twice. If such an island existed, it could be a bus tour.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1182 on: October 08, 2017, 05:43:44 pm »

I really hate daylight savings time! And it was after 12 midnight here when I made the post, but in real time it was after 11. We have the bloody thing for 6 months, my body clock just gets used to it and it gets changed back - grr!

And, as the cats can't tell the time, they get as confused as I do, because cats have a curfew - no outside between 7 pm and 7 am. Although, up here in the mountains, with not many houses around and not many other cats an hour or so either way doesn't make a difference. Also, they can only go out for an hour or so in the relatively cool early morning, because of the snakes being out and about now. I would really like to have words with whoever or whatever decided that venomous snakes come out in the daytime, and non-venomous come out at night!!

Thank God I live in the UK!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1183 on: October 08, 2017, 09:03:40 pm »

Thank God I live in the UK!

Because of what? The snakes or the Daylight Savings Time?
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1184 on: October 08, 2017, 10:46:46 pm »

I think all of it but the snakes will do.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1185 on: October 09, 2017, 01:12:16 am »

Any consolation, unclebert, I hate the hot weather with a passion, and I am not that fond of venomous snakes, either, having lost both my dog (directly) and my beautiful blue cat (indirectly) to snakebite last year.

You can eat snake if cooked properly, but unless driven to it by starvation I will leave them alone. They are supposed to taste like chicken - I will stick to the real thing.

Or at least something that resembles the real thing - pressed meat that comes in a roll, with packaging fastened with what looks like fencing clips! Chicken, devon and Strassburg seem to be the most popular. There are small rolls for domestic use, and large rolls for commercial use - the after-school treat of a devon sandwich with tomato sauce does have certain positive memories!!
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1186 on: October 09, 2017, 02:07:52 am »

Poor dog and cat...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1187 on: October 09, 2017, 08:01:55 am »

It was my dog's second snakebite, this time a red-bellied black snake - the first time was a brown. The cat developed a very virulent form of intestinal blood cancer, which had probably been dormant in his system. Snake venom destroys the immune system, so he hadn't any resistance when the disease manifested itself. My dog was nearly 12 and my cat 6 and a half. Not a good time.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1188 on: October 09, 2017, 09:40:02 am »

Back to less miserable things, food for a start then brands...

I suppose the Americans think of our 'crumpets' as cakes given that their own muffins are actually cakes. Our own muffins are softish-crust yeast-risen but slightly heavier breads that are eaten split and buttered toasted/untoasted, they are not dissimilar to 'failed' crumpets but they have a different texture, more breadish. Never sweet like a cake and not very, very sweet and cloying like an American muffin.

Muffins and crumpets are eaten in a similar fashion but the experience is different.

https://www.thomasbreads.com/about-us

This one is for the American list as the chappie who originally created this company claimed to have invented the recipe. In fact he didn't really, he took the recipe to the US where he built a brand around it in the US. In England (not necessarily the whole of Britain) it was really a poor-man's bread made of left-over scraps of dough and other edible scrapings, including potato. Small in size and cheap in constituents so that the poor could afford it. We can claim it back for the Empire, I can simply ascribe it to one of the existing period brands of bread-makers that has a history of making the things.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:00:32 am by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1189 on: October 09, 2017, 10:17:12 am »

Back to less miserable things, food for a start then brands...

I suppose the Americans think of our 'crumpets' as cakes given that their own muffins are actually cakes. Our own muffins are softish-crust yeast-risen breads that are eaten split and buttered toasted/untoasted, they are not dissimilar to 'failed' crumpets but they have a different texture, more breadish. Never sweet like a cake and not very, very sweet and cloying like an American muffin.

Muffins and crumpets are eaten in a similar fashion but the experience is different.

https://www.thomasbreads.com/about-us

This one is for the American list.

Thank you uncle Bert! Indeed the American "English Muffin" or "Toaster Crumpet" as it was originally called, was a specific mass produced version of yeast muffin, thinner in form, "invented" in 1894, by Samuel Bath Thomas, a British entrepreneur in the United States, founder of the company you list above. I should perhaps point out that the American version of the English Muffin is very popular in the United States, but we definitely go both ways with the sweet and savoury. Butter or fruit jan/preserves ate the typical toppings for breakfast English Muffins. The English Muffin is the base for Eggs Benedict.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggs_Benedict

The American "Muffin", just to clarify again, is basically a sweet cup cake - and we have cup cakes too but I'm too ignorant to know exactly what makes an American muffin a muffin and not an American cup cake, to me they look the same, save the cup cake has a much more refined crumb, usually with icing or toppings while the muffin is very coarse and tends to have things like pecan nuts and raisins or even carrot julienne in the batter, typically with no topping.

Ask the experts:
http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-cupcake-v-113056

The British muffin on the other hand is classified as a yeast "flat bread" while the crumpet is classified as a griddle cake... Just in case things were not confusing enough...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:34:36 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1190 on: October 09, 2017, 10:32:25 am »

The addition of potato seems to be the single most obvious difference between the Brit and the Yank. Our muffins are markedly heavier and as a result are nothing like cake.

The muffins and cupcakes you mention are really both just cakes. They are eaten here as cakes (by women in search of love through chocolate). Just say cake from now on instead of muffin and there should be no need for any cake wars.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1191 on: October 09, 2017, 10:40:24 am »

The addition of potato seems to be the single most obvious difference between the Brit and the Yank. Our muffins are markedly heavier and as a result are nothing like cake.

The muffins and cupcakes you mention are really both just cakes. They are eaten here as cakes (by women in search of love through chocolate). Just say cake from now on instead of muffin and there should be no need for any cake wars.

But cake wars are so much fun. Besides, we will also have to fight over the use of the word biscuit. It seems to me we just have a whole bunch of small breads, soda versus yeasted, griddle versus oven, savoury versus sweet. There is a large number of permutations here.

You have yet to experience the bliss of consuming an American Biscuit in all its forms, so you can understand how pioneers started their day.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1192 on: October 09, 2017, 11:25:13 am »

Puts me in mind of the good old fried scone, and dumplings!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #1193 on: October 09, 2017, 06:34:26 pm »

Puts me in mind of the good old fried scone, and dumplings!
That's exactly what an American Biscuit is. Basically a type of scone. Fabulous with butter and as a side for fried eggs and bacon. The taste is so neutral, it goes with everything. I've even seen large American biscuits used as a base for a strawberry and whipped cream dessert!
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: