The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 09:45:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Coffin.  (Read 3181 times)
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Sky Pirate Brewer

« on: March 20, 2012, 05:46:24 am »

A recent death in the family, coupled with my watching "Young Frankenstein" and seeing Baron Von Frankenstein's coffin, plus my declining health got me to thinking....
Does anybody make a Coffin WE might consider Steampunk? 
If not, I may just have to make one.  Lots of Mahogany, and Brass.  I might skip the glass.  Smiley
Might even put a larger brass copy of my pirate wings on it.
Up just never know when you will be flying through the clouds and an unseen Air Kraken takes you out!

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

robotmastern
Snr. Officer

automaton craftsman extraordinaire

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 05:50:05 am »

i would think that the only way to be truely satisfied with a custom coffin like that would be to make it yourself
and im sorry for your loss
Capt James Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:57:07 am »

I've never seen one.  I think the family of the deceased would have to be very dedicated to steampunk. 

And that is probably why you don't see steampunk coffins. 

Besides there would be extra cost for a custom designed coffin.

If at first your idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
-Albert Einstein-

See pictures of my models at:  http://public.fotki.com/shrimpee/
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:36:13 pm »

I would think that a casket..rather than a coffin would be more Steampunk..but then most (decent..ie expensive) burial 'contatiners' are goinmg to have  lots of dark, polished woodwork and nice brass fittings. I'd be happy to be buried in something like this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Captain Braid
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 02:20:31 pm »

I do think that we should all "Be Prepared", so the concept of building one's own final transport device, to our own design seems quite a sensible one.

Experienced enough to know my limitations,
Old enough to know better,
Relaxed enough not to care.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:30:34 pm »

I have made several cremation urns for friends.  Each one is unique.  Easier to make than a coffin and the family will have it forever.

Sorry for your loss and wishing you many years before you need a coffin.

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 04:09:25 pm »

so the concept of building one's own final transport device, to our own design

If one were slim enough how about a Grandfather clock cabinet (with the pendulums removed) as a steampunk coffin?
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 04:51:27 pm »

But as part of a wunderkammer concept, I think a miniature salesman's sample coffin done up as a Steampunk item could be just the ticket.  Small enough that it couldn't be mistaken for a child's coffin - that might bring up unfortunate connections - it could even double as a pistol case, for instance.  A nicely done derringer lying on a white satin pillow in that would "look so natural", after all.

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 05:29:51 pm »

In the old days, you could get coffins with pulley systems for setting off a bell outside the coffin, for those worried about being buried alive. You can find diagrams for that in different places.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Professor Fzz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 06:32:08 pm »

If one were slim enough how about a Grandfather clock cabinet (with the pendulums removed) as a steampunk coffin?

Our grandfather clock dates from around 1790.  It has outlived many generations and I see no reason why it shouldn't outlive me by another couple of hundred years.  I really don't think my demise should mean its end too!

As a fan of lighter-than-air travel, I favour this solution to the problem of what to do with my remains.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. -  Thomas H. Huxley
robotmastern
Snr. Officer

automaton craftsman extraordinaire

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 07:23:58 pm »

but there's a helium shortage now... would you use hydrogen instead?
Professor Fzz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 07:29:28 pm »

Hydrogen balloon?  Me?  Of course!  Smiley

Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 08:49:51 pm »

My father in law always reckoned coffins were a terrific waste of money. His solution was to buy the coffin whilst he was still in good health. He would then get plenty of years value out of it using it as a good, strong, weather tight, tool box! That kind of chimes with steampunk methinks...

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Sgt_Queensbury
Gunner

The Ability to Blow Stuff Up Is Always Useful Sir.

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 09:48:54 pm »

I Agree with the Prof. Accept I Would Want a miniature zeppelin to carry me off to the stars.

Also on the subject of your funeral, what music would you have to accompany your burial/cremating/sending off/tribute DVD? (at the low price of £14.99)

I Claim India for Britain!
You can't claim us we live here
Do you have a flag?
We don't need a flag, 1.2 billion of us
No flag No country that's the rules that i have just made up. and to back it up i have this gun that was lent to me from the national rifle association
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 10:11:28 pm »

You should check out the coffins they have in Ghana.
queenofgoblins
Gunner
England England

Peruser Of Tomes, Consumer Of Tea

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 10:23:35 pm »

I don't intend to have enough body left to put in anything when I die [=<

Est melius esse solitarius quam in malam societatem.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 11:49:13 pm »

Anyone interested in making a cremation urn, the rule of thumb is 1 cubic inch for each pound of body weight.  IE. a 200 lb person would need a 200 cubic inch urn.
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 01:55:26 am »

I personally intend to be cremated and have my remains compressed into at least one blue diamond, possibly several, and mounted in one or more custom designed pendants.  I have always had a thing for dragons, so my pendants would likely include the dragon theme and potentially something steampunk as well.
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 03:15:51 am »

I want to be cremated and have my ashes put into the rubber vat at the Trojan Prophylactic company.
Then I'll be getting into, er IT, after I'm gone!  Smiley
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 07:52:06 am »

As I am now, I want a coffin with all the comforts. As I will be after death, I probably won't give a rip what they stuff me into, because I won't be there, truth be told. But I want one with brass corners and trim, and a li'l steam-powered whistle and tank treads and and...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
yaghish
Gunner
Netherlands Netherlands

Aethernaut

schlimazlnik
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 08:12:50 am »

As far as I know, there are countries that have rules for coffins. You can't put any kind of material in the soil (or oven), the government might see it as dangerous for the environment (several metals, plastics...). Apart from that, a coffin is not just a nice resting place for the deceased, it also keeps the soil from being stained by the corps (I could tell some details, but that's maybe a tad too gruesome on a common forum).
Too much metal on it might make it too heavy for normal handling, many tools of the trade are made for the avarage coffin (hearse design, elevator for the grave, etc).

If you really want to be buried (or burned) in a steampunk coffin my advice would be to see what the local law has to say about it and consult an undertaker.

When there's a will, there's a dirigible to take you there
Antipodean
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 08:38:01 am »

I like the idea of putting your pirate wings on the box – I can just imagine some anthropologist way in the future digging the box up and speculating on the find.

I saw disturbing footage on Myth Busters. They were experimenting with how long one could breathe if one were to be buried prematurely. They were using a steel coffin for strength and it started to deform and leak soil before they even had half the expected weight on top. I know one has expired already but I would hope the coffin would at least stay intact?

The earthquake in Christchurch saw liquefaction bring bones to the surface in the cemetery there, which means the deceased coffins had obviously decayed. (I suppose it could have been a dry run for the zombie apocalypse.)

I suppose this really begs the question on how much to spend on a coffin if it will decay this way.

Did you just go PSSSSSSST at me or have I just sprung a leak?

I'm not retreating, I'm advancing in another direction.
Captain Braid
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 09:42:21 am »

I saw disturbing footage on Myth Busters. They were experimenting with how long one could breathe if one were to be buried prematurely. They were using a steel coffin for strength and it started to deform and leak soil before they even had half the expected weight on top. I know one has expired already but I would hope the coffin would at least stay intact?
I suppose this really begs the question on how much to spend on a coffin if it will decay this way.
Harrruuumph! Modern design, Wouldn't have happend in My Day.

I'd be tempted to place internal bracing structures in the coffin in that case.
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 11:52:31 am »

In the old days, you could get coffins with pulley systems for setting off a bell outside the coffin, for those worried about being buried alive. You can find diagrams for that in different places.
Ah, the 'Taberger Safety Coffin', Edgar Allan Poe wrote one of his stories about it - nothing like having the security of a bell to ring in case you were buried prematurely.  Of course the downside was grave robbers then knew where the freshest diggings were, and doubly worse, the few folks using such devices were even bigger targets as they were more likely to be buried many personal possessions since they thought they might be making a return appearance to the living. markf
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 08:39:46 pm »

I believe it was Aimee Semple MacPherson who had a live telephone entombed with her.

I wonder how long someone paid the bills on that...  and what the long-distance tolls were.

Hmmm

Chas.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: