The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 08:44:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra  (Read 4849 times)
Lady Evelyn Grey
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2012, 02:09:25 pm »

It was a fascinating aspect to explore at least in part. After all, it was a war between benders that nearly destroyed the kingdoms during the fire nation attacks and they most likely did not spare the non-benders.

Perhaps this will be the theme in the upcoming season. Aang's task as avatar was to return balance to the four bending nations. Korra's can be to return balance to the benders and the non-benders.

The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2012, 02:55:48 pm »

I kinda look forward to being 30 when we're up to something like 'The Legend of (8th avatar series)' and we can say things like 'man, I remember when it was Aang vs the firelord...'

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2012, 03:17:09 pm »

I can remember when Republic City was just fields...

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Boston Jones
Gunner

« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2012, 05:58:34 pm »

or, remember when cabbages were funny?

"Countries do not exist where I am from.
The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power,
 the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone.
It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."
-Eloi Cole
Calvin Sinclair
Gunner

Oddities salesman, tinkerer, and general madman

« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2012, 04:18:25 am »

Or SECRET TUNNELS

Always on the run!
Boston Jones
Gunner

« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2012, 05:27:18 am »

Or SECRET TUNNELS

CHYES
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2012, 01:30:41 am »

The present Dalai Lama's name is Tenzin Gyatso

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2012, 02:10:43 am »

I believe Tenzin is a common Tibetan name. What of it? The Air Nation has quite obviously been based partly on Tibetan culture.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2012, 02:32:36 am »

I believe Tenzin is a common Tibetan name. What of it? The Air Nation has quite obviously been based partly on Tibetan culture.

Yes, but given the existing parallels between Aang as the avatar and the way the Fire Nation handled that and the present Dalai Lama's situation with China it's mindblowing that Korra's airbending teacher was named Tenzin and Aang's was named Gyatso.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2012, 05:58:12 am »

Yes, but given the existing parallels between Aang as the avatar and the way the Fire Nation handled that and the present Dalai Lama's situation with China it's mindblowing that Korra's airbending teacher was named Tenzin and Aang's was named Gyatso.
if it had been a coincidence, sure.
I am pretty sure it was on purpose and just a case of naming a character after someone.
Sort of how Mako is named after the original voice actor for Uncle Iroh.

- Maximilian
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2012, 07:13:00 am »

I am pretty sure it was on purpose and just a case of naming a character after someone.

*facepalm*
That's exactly my point. It's mindblowing that it's a planned thing. It's not just that there's parallels, they're actually slapping you in the face with it but I hadn't even realised...
Calvin Sinclair
Gunner

Oddities salesman, tinkerer, and general madman

« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2012, 08:37:47 am »

And this supposed to be a show for kids!
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2012, 02:45:21 pm »

*facepalm*
That's exactly my point. It's mindblowing that it's a planned thing. It's not just that there's parallels, they're actually slapping you in the face with it but I hadn't even realised...
Ah!
I suppose I don't see that as mindblowing but a perfectly sensible, even logical, naming homage.
But a blow is in the mind of the beholder... Wait... perhaps I should rephrase that.
Julian
Gunner

« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2012, 04:04:15 pm »

Nick must have offered the creators a lot more money.  Korra continues to grow and now is schedule to be 52 episodes broken into 4 books of 13.  Book 2 will be next April.  I believe they will be moving to 2 books a year starting next year. 

The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2012, 09:12:58 pm »

Do you think the creators decided to expand it because they got more money? That's not how it works... Nickelodeon essentially 'orders' more episodes because it's doing well.
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2012, 09:14:53 pm »

Partly, but the creators posted before Nick contacted them saying they're creating more. Once it gets to a certain level of demand, there's no need to actually contact the broadcaster; you're assured to get paid for more.
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Julian
Gunner

« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2012, 11:27:11 pm »

What I am talking about is the story behind the creations of Korra.  The creators had moved on to other things.  Nick contacted them and convinced them to do something in the Avatar universe.  It was going to be only a few episodes for a mini-series.  That story was expanded to the first 13 episodes.  That then got turned into 26 episodes.  The next 13 is supposed to be a different storyline than the first 13.  Now it got turned into 52. 

Traditionally, it would be the creators trying to sell more episodes to the broadcasters.  However, it now seems to be that the broadcaster is going to the creator and asking them for more episodes.  It is a bit reversed from the usual situation.  Maybe after doing 26 episodes the creators decided they wanted to stick with Korra and convinced Nick to allow them to do more.  It just seems to me that when they had been against doing a full series again and then end up doing one, it is often do to money. 
Andrew Styles
Gunner

(Aspiring) Airship Captain for Her Majesty's Army

« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2012, 04:05:17 am »

Just a random question...
Does one have to have seen ALL of the original avatar to watch korra?
Thanks

~Cpt. Andrew Styles

"If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips" - Birgitte Silverbow

Check out my blog! www.musingsoftheteenagemind.wordpress.com
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2012, 05:22:07 am »

Not at all, Andrew. It helps in some regards but it's not really necessary.
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2012, 09:17:43 am »

Although the intro to Korra does include minor Aang spoilers.... though to be honest they're fairly obvious and you could have guessed them, it does ruin a few twists.
~Longeye~
BrethrenAndBetrayer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2012, 10:49:14 am »

Also "Not my Cabbage Corp.!!" might be completely lost on you.

-Brethren

You know its gonna be a good session when the tech priest rides into battle on the back of a gun-servitor.

There is an extra gear in The Great Machine of the cosmos tonight.
In memory of Richard 'Datamancer' Nagy - 2013
Andrew Styles
Gunner

(Aspiring) Airship Captain for Her Majesty's Army

« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2012, 04:58:11 am »

I understand that one lol. I saw about 75% of avatar before my dvd player stopped working. I just havent got around to re-watching it yet, but Korra intrigues me. Tongue Thanks!

~Cpt Andrew Styles
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2015, 07:00:15 pm »

No more love for Legend of Korra?
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2015, 07:13:25 pm »

I will probably offend.....    It never measured up to the original series for me.   Saw every episode.  But never loved it Like,I did the first.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2015, 01:19:41 pm »

I just discovered that they made some books about the artwork and designs used for the cartoon. Seeing as that was my favourite part, I figured it might interest people on here as well. They had some great steampunk designs. It's called The Legend of Korra: Book 1 – Air, The Art of the Animated Series.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: