The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:55:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra  (Read 4978 times)
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 03:35:34 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

- Maximilian
Boston Jones
Gunner

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 07:10:26 pm »

It is far beyond a kid's show, I don't even know any children who watch it.  They're all adults, mid 20's and mid 30's. 

"Countries do not exist where I am from.
The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power,
 the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone.
It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."
-Eloi Cole
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 07:18:50 pm »

It is far beyond a kid's show, I don't even know any children who watch it.  They're all adults, mid 20's and mid 30's.  
How many kids do you know?

I know at least 18 kids (ages 5 to 16) spread across 5 different families who love it.
That's just it.  It's not a kid's show.  It's a family show.
As an adult I can watch it on my own... or with my 8-year-old.  We both enjoy it on our own levels.
As a parent I love that I can introduce my son to deeper themes and Eastern-themed philosophies in a way that he is eager to learn more.

It's a triumph of entertainment.

Per a request from freinds and family (ages 8 to 53) I am actually working on a tabletop RPG set in the Benderverse.
It really is that much of a generational unifier.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:22:45 pm by Captain Brandsson » Logged
Boston Jones
Gunner

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2012, 12:09:48 am »

Not a lot, but that's hardly my point is it?  What I'm saying is adults with no or little connection to children, certainly not their own, watch this show weekly.

Again, it's far beyond just children.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2012, 03:12:38 pm »

Not a lot, but that's hardly my point is it?  What I'm saying is adults with no or little connection to children, certainly not their own, watch this show weekly.

Again, it's far beyond just children.
Absolutely agreed on all points.  
I was just curious as to your sample size, not looking to refute your statement.
Scientific interest in a differing experience and a segue to describe my own experince, nothing more.

Specifically, I was wondering if... in addition to what you rightly observed regarding 20 - 30 somethings... if you might also know a number of children who rejected interest in the show.
Julian
Gunner

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2012, 03:41:43 pm »

Nick asked them to do another series.  They agreed to do a mini-series.  It was going to be only a few episodes.  Then it was upped to 12, then up to 2 seasons before production really even started. 

I think the series is aimed less at elementary age and more at teenagers.  I think they know their audience is older and is trying more to direct storylines to them. 

I like the series, but I think the original was substantially better.  I can't really explain why, although I suspect having 20 episodes a season combined with other writers helps.  There really felt like there was no progress.  I do know the last 2-3 episodes I found very weak and everything felt rushed.

So here is a guy that can take away bending, and all of the other countries just leave it alone.  Don't you think they would have sent agents there to take care of Amon?  Why does the Fire Nation use ships when they pioneered airships?  Why would the general of a fleet leave his own people and ships and travel with a group of kids?  How is it that you go from basic airships, to planes capable of launching bombs and torpedoes?  Things just went way too fast on the technology. 

Anyway, I hope season 2 will be better now that Amon is taken care of. 

Boston Jones
Gunner

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2012, 04:43:21 pm »

I know of non but one captain, he simply loves Thomas the Train too much, any other show would be a betrayal  Cheesy

I like the series, but I think the original was substantially better.  I can't really explain why, although I suspect having 20 episodes a season combined with other writers helps.  There really felt like there was no progress.  I do know the last 2-3 episodes I found very weak and everything felt rushed.

It did feel rushed but that's because they had a continuous story line, one with 'cliff hangers', where as the first series had stand alone episodes with an over arching story.  As for the rest of your post, the show has people using magical powers, a rush of technology is easily over looked...
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 04:46:17 pm »

How is it that you go from basic airships, to planes capable of launching bombs and torpedoes?
We did the exact same thing in real life in a similar span of time, didn't we? In 70 years we went from horses and trains to the Moon.
Factor in that bending makes certain power and manufacturing issues that we had to contend with moot for many technical developers (possible including the publically pro-bending sponsoring, Sato)
Lady Evelyn Grey
Officer

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 05:37:49 pm »

Factor in that bending makes certain power and manufacturing issues that we had to contend with moot for many technical developers (possible including the publically pro-bending sponsoring, Sato)

That's true.
I would have liked to see some of the machines metal benders could have created.

Though that does bring me to another question about the show:

Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2012, 05:52:01 pm »

Lady Evelyn Grey,
One answer to your question hides below...
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2012, 07:12:01 pm »

~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2012, 08:01:16 pm »

I think because we don't get to see the interim period, the tech seems forced.

I believe Republic City had a flourishing steampunk "honeymoon" period, in that "untold" era under Avatar Aang, Councilman Sokka and Cheif Toph Beifong.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2012, 08:13:19 pm »

Here is a question... Who are the Air Acolytes? The non-bending monks and people like Pema?

I always wondered if there were non-bending Air Nomads.  Are these they?
They could just as easily be people from other nations who are drawn to the Air Nomad philosophy.
In absence of canon, I chose to imagine that the spiritual nature of the Air Nomads produced a greater number of benders per capita. 
One of these non-benders may have been guru Pathik.

When the Fire Nation attempted to wipe out the Air Nomads, they missed a number of non-benders who were more easily able to hide in other nations.

Now let's get REALLY imaginative... (again, this is me just musing)
What if, in their travels,  young Tenzin and Lin found these hidden non-bender Air Nomads (and the other sky bison and lemurbats we see). During that tale Tenzin met Pema and, well, nature took it's course.

The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2012, 12:45:09 am »

To play the party pooper, all of that is wrong.

Every air nomad was a bender. The air acolytes are people who live on Air Temple Island to maintain both it and its customs as far as I'm aware.

The Guru was not air nation. We don't know what nation he is. Remember he even says something like 'the division of the nations is an illusion'. He simply took up residence in that temple (just like the inventor bloke with the disabled son).

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Julian
Gunner

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2012, 05:03:56 am »

How is it that you go from basic airships, to planes capable of launching bombs and torpedoes?
We did the exact same thing in real life in a similar span of time, didn't we? In 70 years we went from horses and trains to the Moon.

I am not talking about tech advancement from one series to the other.  I am talking about how you have rigid airships in episode one, then at episode 11 you have airplanes that can carry bombs in the center and torpedoes on its wings.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2012, 01:21:01 pm »

Hence the comment "Where does Sato find the time to keep inventing new evil machines?"

One thing I found amusing was

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Augustus Longeye
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2012, 01:44:31 pm »

Yes! I thought that, Atterton! Think of all of them, and nobody seemed to care!
~Longeye~
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2012, 02:05:07 pm »

I am not talking about tech advancement from one series to the other.  I am talking about how you have rigid airships in episode one, then at episode 11 you have airplanes that can carry bombs in the center and torpedoes on its wings.

Just because we saw airships doesn't mean that the planes didn't exist
Boston Jones
Gunner

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2012, 03:59:57 pm »

Just because we saw airships doesn't mean that the planes didn't exist

True, but it was quite a shock to us as well as the characters themselves.

Also isn't it interesting that they use a radio regularly but then used the telegraph to get to the fleet's ships?
Augustus Longeye
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2012, 04:51:50 pm »

Distances involved probably make it easier/faster.... also it was a hobo doing the communication Tongue
~Longeye~
Boston Jones
Gunner

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2012, 05:02:51 pm »

Distances involved probably make it easier/faster.... also it was a hobo doing the communication Tongue
~Longeye~

Hah, Yes I suppose the undercity doesn't carry sophisticated radio devices Smiley
Augustus Longeye
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2012, 05:19:17 pm »

Or maybe they do, and they just don't want the Avatar and other dignitaries knowing how advanced they really are Shocked

Avatar: Legend of Korra; Book 2 - Revenge of the Hobo...
~Longeye~
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2012, 05:32:10 am »

To play the party pooper, all of that is wrong.

Every air nomad was a bender. The air acolytes are people who live on Air Temple Island to maintain both it and its customs as far as I'm aware.

The Guru was not air nation. We don't know what nation he is. Remember he even says something like 'the division of the nations is an illusion'. He simply took up residence in that temple (just like the inventor bloke with the disabled son).
Cool.
What's the source on this? I'd love to learn more.

I am not talking about tech advancement from one series to the other.  I am talking about how you have rigid airships in episode one, then at episode 11 you have airplanes that can carry bombs in the center and torpedoes on its wings.
Oh!  I see what you mean.
Well, since he also had platinum mechs, I think we can assume Sato was on a whole other level.
This makes your observation no less astute.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 05:47:03 am by Captain Brandsson » Logged
Boston Jones
Gunner

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2012, 09:27:05 am »

To be quite honest, I would probably be an equalizest ...equalist?  equality equal...est? 
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2012, 11:57:55 am »

Yes I'm not so sure Aman was really wrong about the whole thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: