The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 04:49:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra  (Read 4845 times)
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 11:12:45 pm »

I really enjoy the show.  I was hoping for steampunk, but it really isn't.  The aesthetics and technology aren't appropriate.  Much more of a 1920's feel with some good dieselpunk elements.  It is a very good show though.  
Those were my thoughts as well.
Something I noticed however, is that while the aesthetic is very much dieselpunk... the actual technology is either bending-powered (firebenders creating heat sources for steam or generating electricity being espesically notable) or tesla-esque electricity.

The style is truly a well-executed mish-mash.

I am hoping to see more of the technology.  I recall seeing benders make electricity - I assume for the power plant.  I am not sure what the cars run on, but I am assuming some type of internal combustion engine instead of steam power.  But I really dig the style of autos they have.  
Based on the observation that the Equalists seem to have an affinity for electric weaponry (those awesome gloves and tasers), I am almost certain that the cars are electric.

The evolution makes sense.  Early Fire Nation tech was most certainly steam-powered.  Sometime between the end of the 100 Year War (when only powerful members of the royal family seemed to be able to do it) and now (when grunts in a power plant do it regularly), more firebenders learned how to manipulate lightning.  It stands to reason that "lightning benders" started developing tech that moved away from bulky steam to more stremlined electricity.  Non-bender Sato, possibly, improved on that tech so that non-benders could use it with ease.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:15:24 pm by Captain Brandsson » Logged

- Maximilian
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 11:44:58 pm »

Looking at the Satomobile, it seems to have a v-shaped cylinder setup similar to what you'd expect from an internal combustion engine.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 02:21:28 am »

Looking at the Satomobile, it seems to have a v-shaped cylinder setup similar to what you'd expect from an internal combustion engine.

I think that doesn't mean much in terms of how the engine actually runs. Remember that the Satomobile is meant to look like early Fords and the like so having an engine that looks like an internal combustion engine is almost definitely just a design choice by the animators. I find myself agreeing with Brandsson in that they could well be electric... I have yet to see a petrol station in republic city...

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Julian
Gunner

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 05:12:06 am »

But I haven't seen anyplace to recharge the cars either. 

It could be electricity, but at the same time, it might not be.  Can look for a tail pipe if they ever show the back or maybe they will open the hood in an episode. 

Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 02:38:06 pm »

Oh, I agree... but has been pointed out that may just be a design choice by the animators, not am actual engineering conclusion.

You will also notice that Republic City has far less smog then one might expect with so many satomobiles if they were combustion.
But that could ALSO be a design move by the animators and not indicative of anything.

I still suspect, based on little more than the Equalists seeming affinity for electric weapons, that the satomobiles are more likely to be electric than not.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 02:40:50 pm »

Could any of those weapons have been done with diesel?
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 11:18:56 pm »

Could any of those weapons have been done with diesel?
The mecha... absolutely.
The gloves and tazers... unlikely.

I think by assuming diesel we are getting ahead of ourselves. 
There is no solid evidence that fuel of that sort is present, we KNOW electricity is.  We make assumptions based on our own technology but the Avatarverse tends to only borrow shell designs and that the internal workings are often nothing like we could ever apply (usually due to bending).

I will have to rewatch, but the one rear satomobile pic I found on line shows no exhaust pipe.
Julian
Gunner

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 03:54:25 am »

The latest episode is up on the web.  There is a car in it.  It shows tailpipes and there is thick exhaust that comes out of it.  Based on the evidence, it is an internal combustion engines in the cars.  Given the dieselpunk look of everything, I think we could conclude that it uses diesel. 
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 04:30:54 am »

The latest episode is up on the web.  There is a car in it.  It shows tailpipes and there is thick exhaust that comes out of it.  Based on the evidence, it is an internal combustion engines in the cars.  Given the dieselpunk look of everything, I think we could conclude that it uses diesel. 
Well cool.
That settles it, as far as I am concerned.  Well done, Julian.
Julian
Gunner

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 11:07:40 pm »

Hmm not sure who Amon is now.  I am guessing that it is someone not introduced yet. 
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 11:17:49 pm »

More likely than not, yeah. Nobody I can think of fits the description, so rather than there being some deeper story perhaps he IS just who he says he is....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 02:06:10 am »

The Amon theory I've found myself subscribing to is that he's something of an annulled Avatar.

Given that the Lion-Turtle states that everyone used to energybend it could well just be that Amon is a farmboy who had a bad experience and also learned how to energybend, giving him the ability (somehow) to take away people's bending.

Also,
Augustus Longeye
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 03:40:40 am »

I think the latter is more likely, though the former is certainly interesting.... I'd not thought of it, but it's certainly something that would make a damned good story!
~Longeye~
Calvin Sinclair
Gunner

Oddities salesman, tinkerer, and general madman

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2012, 05:07:51 am »

I love it! Oh Gaahl, new episode today! So many feeeels.
I think Asami's electroglove would be a nice touch to my costume

Always on the run!
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2012, 11:12:11 am »

ABSOLUTELY SHIPPING IRAMI!

I do think, though, using Basco's voice for 'new Iroh' mighn't have been the best idea. I first thought 'oh hey, Zuko's scar healed', then realised the character was way too young to be Zuko, then there was the mention of his actual name.

Also, anyone else noticed Bolin being substantially sidelined? It feels like they've perhaps lost their comic relief touch (given that all we got for comic relief this episode was two easy-to-miss Bolin lines and a Meelo fart joke)
Calvin Sinclair
Gunner

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 05:19:52 am »

I do think, though, using Basco's voice for 'new Iroh' mighn't have been the best idea. I first thought 'oh hey, Zuko's scar healed', then realised the character was way too young to be Zuko, then there was the mention of his actual name.

Also, anyone else noticed Bolin being substantially sidelined? It feels like they've perhaps lost their comic relief touch (given that all we got for comic relief this episode was two easy-to-miss Bolin lines and a Meelo fart joke)
I don't suppose you have a Tumblr...
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 06:34:00 am »

I do. Oh god, is it that noticeable? Tongue
Calvin Sinclair
Gunner

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 07:40:54 am »

I do. Oh god, is it that noticeable? Tongue

asdsfgdmjk

Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy
But here's my Tumblr (sglblues), so reblog me maybe.
Calvin Sinclair
Gunner

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 05:32:53 pm »

DYING
Boston Jones
Gunner

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2012, 06:29:40 pm »

Finale today Sad

"Countries do not exist where I am from.
The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power,
 the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone.
It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."
-Eloi Cole
Augustus Longeye
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2012, 11:43:15 pm »

~Longeye~
Lady Evelyn Grey
Officer

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 03:13:12 am »

I just finished the show last night and agree with all the above comments that it was a beautiful series. Once again, I am in awe of whoever did the character and especially costume designs.

The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 07:36:33 am »

Remember that Book 1 was originally a miniseries.

Also, did anyone else find themselves thinking how awesome it could've been if

Finally

Actually, one more thing...

KIDS SHOW! KIDS SHOW!
Augustus Longeye
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2012, 12:26:27 pm »

Book 2 has been confirmed apparently; it WAS going to be a mini-series but it's been so popular that they posted to their facebook page "we're working to make book 2 the best it can be" or something like that.

Corsair; I originally thought your first point was the case, which would have made it even more convoluted, but quite interesting... however I think I do prefer the way it panned out now.
~Longeye~
Lady Evelyn Grey
Officer

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2012, 02:07:39 pm »

Corsair, I was actually hoping your first point was true right after I saw that episode. It would have made a wonderful twist. But, as you rightly pointed out, it is a kid's show- no matter how complex the themes dealt with throughout the show.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: