The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 11:50:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra  (Read 4850 times)
Mechanical_Zombie
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: March 08, 2012, 05:27:14 am »

Anyone else excited for this? The last series definately used a lot of Steampunk tech. with some of the athsteics (Asian influenced, but still), and this one is supposed to have more so! Plus, look at the animation in the previews. This series looks even more beautiful than the last. Plus, the contrast between magic and technology is going to make for an interesting setting.

Anyone else get the urge to do a Steampunk group from the Avatarverse?
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:05:04 pm »

The Fire Nation always had pretty heavy imperialistic steampunk leanings.
Certainly when you are at war and have a pretty darn reliable and seemingly inexahustable heat source, steamtech is the rather obvious way to go.
It seems only natural that Firelord Zuko would try to find some more benevolent uses for the innovations and thus create a de facto, Asian-influenced steampunk setting.

- Maximilian
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 04:07:11 pm »

I really cannot wait for this to come out.... From the trailers it's looking modern Japan/Steampunk/stuff....
I've heard tell it's Steampunked somehow, but I'm not sure how. Captain; your deductions seem reasonable.
~Karenthian~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
BrethrenAndBetrayer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 06:40:56 pm »

Having just watched the trailer, I really am stoked. It looks like it could be really good.
I remember hearing about it months ago, but I then promptly forgot all about it until you mentioned it, thanks Smiley

-Brethren

You know its gonna be a good session when the tech priest rides into battle on the back of a gun-servitor.

There is an extra gear in The Great Machine of the cosmos tonight.
In memory of Richard 'Datamancer' Nagy - 2013
Jeremiah Pauers
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 07:42:49 pm »

I've been looking forward to this since they first announced it.  I've watched two of the previews, but I'm forcing myself to hold off on any other news that comes out, so I don't know too many details going in.

I'm also really liking the look they're going for in regards to Republic City.  I imagine between Zuko, the Mechanist, and Sokka, the post-war era was just full of innovations.  (Some of them drawn better than others...)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:52:02 pm by Jeremiah Pauers » Logged

Academic Librarian's End of Semester Mantra: "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 08:36:23 pm »

Some of them drawn better than others...
Ha! Good one!

Mechanical_Zombie
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 05:13:39 am »

I always wondered what happened to Teo, the mechanist's son, at the end of the series. Maybe he, too, became and inventor.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 02:29:49 pm »

I always wondered what happened to Teo, the mechanist's son, at the end of the series. Maybe he, too, became and inventor.
And/Or an ace pilot!
Mechanical_Zombie
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 10:48:49 pm »

And/Or an ace pilot!

He'd be the world's first. Kinda the Wright Brothers of his world.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 01:09:12 am »

I have watched the first few episodes of this show now. Visually it is rather cool. It is done in a 1930s style, with even the resume of previous episodes being done like an old film reel. I think they have succeeded rather well with that. I've talked earlier about how I would like to see chi and technology being used together and that is being done in this show. The story is perhaps rather standard fare, though I like how the main villain seems motivated by politics rather than a desire for power. Watch it for the airships and mecha suits.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Puck
Gunner

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 03:48:24 am »

I am absolutely obsessed with The Legend of Korra. I'd say that it leans a bit more towards Dieselpunk, but there's definitely significant Steampunk themes, especially the metalbender's zeppelins and Hiroshi Sato's
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 04:49:26 am by The Corsair » Logged

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
~ Oscar Wilde
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 04:51:10 am »

I think we need to establish two things here:

1 - A lot of people enjoy this show and will probably check this thread regularly. As they may not be up-to-date on the series yet, be sure to post anything significant that has happened in the most recent 2 episodes in a spoiler.

2 - This show is awesome.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Augustus Longeye
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 06:36:17 pm »

Yes, for this particular thread keep anything spoilery in spoiler tags. Posts that do not keep spoiler free will be removed (I'm sure nobody needs this Wink ).

This show is awesome. I've watched the lot so far, and I love it. The main villain is really well set up, not quite as 2d as Ozai was....
~Longeye~
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 01:35:46 am »

There is kind of the feeling that we didn't get to see the steampunk era of this world, but that it did occur.

Here's an interesting thought, since we have only seen Republic City, thus far, really: The Fire Nation proper may still be in it's steampunk phase.

The mix of bending styles and non-bender ingenuity has pushed Republic City farther on the time line of tech, but there is no reason to even suspect the rest of the avatar 'verse is that far along.
Charleson Mambo
Zeppelin Captain
Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

Cyberpunk is a Hello Kitty claymore mine.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 10:04:48 pm »

Anyone else hoping for Amon to turn out to be the Cabbage Seller's son/grandson?

Charleson Mambo

--
To confuse, inveigle, and obfuscate.

The Alt.Cyberpunk.Chatsubo Anthology website: www.accanthology.com
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 04:18:05 am »

Anyone else hoping for Amon to turn out to be the Cabbage Seller's son/grandson?

Charleson Mambo

I thought for a moment that he was the kid that Zuko befriended in the one episode who felt betrayed at the end, but now I'm not sure..

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Augustus Longeye
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 11:07:18 am »

Would you mind refreshing my memory as to that kid?

Also I'm not sure they'll use an old character, I think although there are signs of the old characters EVERYWHERE, like the woman said "it's your generations go now". I think they're avoiding older stuff as much as is possible to give their new cast a real go. Bringing in old characters would, I think, either cheapen Aang's ending (why didn't he fix that?) or cheapen theirs (he beat this master guy, they only beat one of his side characters).

Does that make sense?
~Longeye~
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 03:13:34 pm »

It was the episode where Zuko stopped at the farm, and he gave the kid his knife, but it led to trouble and Zuko revealing his identity...
Augustus Longeye
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 04:19:30 pm »

Ah yes.... I don't think it's him, the back story wouldn't match up.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
~Longeye~
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 10:44:59 pm »

Unless there's some twist, I'd say it's rather obvious who Amon is.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 11:15:12 pm »

One of the theories that I liked (Can't remember if it's the one I found the most believable though) was that is was Bumi (Aang's son, not the old kind of Omashu) who was jealous of his brother and sister who could both bend.

I don't think it's all that viable though. My personal thinking is really more like 'shut up with the theories and just watch until we find out'.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 01:58:40 am »

One of the theories that I liked (Can't remember if it's the one I found the most believable though) was that is was Bumi (Aang's son, not the old kind of Omashu) who was jealous of his brother and sister who could both bend.

I don't think it's all that viable though. My personal thinking is really more like 'shut up with the theories and just watch until we find out'.

That's where I'm at right now, I'm sure they will surprise all of their viewers!
Julian
Gunner

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 06:22:58 pm »

I really enjoy the show.  I was hoping for steampunk, but it really isn't.  The aesthetics and technology aren't appropriate.  Much more of a 1920's feel with some good dieselpunk elements.  It is a very good show though. 

Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 05:32:12 pm »

I really enjoy the show.  I was hoping for steampunk, but it really isn't.  The aesthetics and technology aren't appropriate.  Much more of a 1920's feel with some good dieselpunk elements.  It is a very good show though. 
Those were my thoughts as well.
Something I noticed however, is that while the aesthetic is very much dieselpunk... the actual technology is either bending-powered (firebenders creating heat sources for steam or generating electricity being espesically notable) or tesla-esque electricity.

The style is truly a well-executed mish-mash.
Julian
Gunner

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 10:39:36 pm »

Those were my thoughts as well.
Something I noticed however, is that while the aesthetic is very much dieselpunk... the actual technology is either bending-powered (firebenders creating heat sources for steam or generating electricity being espesically notable) or tesla-esque electricity.

The style is truly a well-executed mish-mash.

I am hoping to see more of the technology.  I recall seeing benders make electricity - I assume for the power plant.  I am not sure what the cars run on, but I am assuming some type of internal combustion engine instead of steam power.  But I really dig the style of autos they have. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: