The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 04:38:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If someone asks 'Why do you wear that?', what do you reply?  (Read 24329 times)
Maxwell B. Cooper
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Imitation shows a lack of imagination.

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 11:16:32 pm »

I simply reply 'Because I want to.' and then keep walking.

“One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” – Elbert Hubbard

The Imperial Code of the Second British Empire:
1. Be decent.
2. Carry on.

“If I could create an ideal world, it would be an England with the fire of the Elizabethans, the correct taste of the Georgians, and the refinement and pure ideals of the Victorians.” – H. P. Lovecraft
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 12:20:27 am »

When asked about my monogoggle, I tend to explain that I have my right eye is short sighted, you see, and so if I wear a lens of the correct curvature, it allows me to see normally  Tongue

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
TheCogsbanes
Deck Hand
United States United States

Steampunk/Neo-Victorian Clothiers

TheCogsbanes
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 09:17:32 pm »

We reply "Because we think it's more put together and beautiful than jeans and a t-shirt will ever be."

toxickun
Officer

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 04:06:07 pm »

oh wow that's pretty good line to replie ._.

What is steampunk? Why good people, it's Punk in which we've steamed out all the wrinkles.
and
Because we think it's more put together and beautiful than jeans and a t-shirt will ever be."

thank you! XD

...wth is a signature ._.
[sorry for my fail in grammar]
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 06:54:55 pm »

I live in a college town. You'd have to dress really weird (WWII German army jacket and neon green tutu kind of weird) to even get a second look.

Kind of a shame, really.

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 05:02:40 am »

My Dad was asking about why I was dressed like that the other day. My reply sort of wandered about a bit. "Well, with my sore back, I like wearing the corset because of the support, and if I'm wearing the corset then I have to wear the one shirt I have that has the right lines, and if I'm going to wear the shirt well then why not wear the vest and the goggles too?"

"Why wear the goggles though?"

"Because they're terribly fashionable!"

Which at least got a laugh.

He says he'll never get it but maybe he's just old-fashioned. I told him the problem was that he was not old-fashioned enough; he (being born in 1929) is really at least thirty years out of date. That too got a laugh, at least. Really, he ought to be used to me wearing weird stuff by now. Not like I haven't been wearing weird stuff since I was a kid, lol.

I ran into a lady working the counter at the local craft store up here, who asked me, as they do, what the fabric was for, and I attempted to explain that they were to make my almost-three-year-old daughter some bloomers to go with her dress (which she had insisted on wearing). And then, without much hope, I asked if she had heard of "Steampunk", which she hadn't (leading me to assume that there probably aren't any 'punkers around here, because if there were, they'd probably be discussing it with the local craft store, although .b ,.bn ., , , bn, bn bnl,b nlb nlb n bnmb nlmb nlb nl bnlb nl/mmkbvxcvh

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2012, 06:24:42 am »

I had the same discussion at my favourite fabric store and showed her the jacket pattern.  Her response "Ooh, we have some ribbon that would match for the sleeve ruffle."  She seemed quite excited.
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 06:26:23 am »

--Sorry, got distracted and then the toddler took over so I quickly hit "Post" before she deleted anything, meaning to shoo her out and fix it, but then I got distracted again and now I have no time to do more than offer my apologies and an explanation before I must dash again. I'll fix it for real tomorrow. I hope. Or Saturday. Sunday at the latest. Unless I get distracted again.

Anyways the point was that she hadn't heard of it so I gave her an explanation to which she asked, "But why would you even do that?" To which I replied, "Entertainment, education, it's fun, etc etc" but to which I wanted to reply, "If you can't instantly see the attraction or at least understand why it would be fun then it's not for you. Bye!"

Later!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 06:48:01 am »

Ah, not the same conversation them.  My lady even asked about conventions.
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 06:27:36 pm »

No, this was about a week ago, in Terrace, BC. Someone's been buying up all the brass cephalopod pendants, though...
Lady Toadflinger
Snr. Officer

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 10:51:35 pm »

If asked why I am wearing that (whatever that may be), I merely look surprised and say "Because it's Saturday!" (or whatever the day of the week), and stroll on. Wink

This isn't the Junior Chamber of Commerce, Brad!
Ravenshurst
Deck Hand

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 11:11:38 pm »

I am almost ALWAYS dressed in something "unusual" lol, and mostly I get complimented, but, on those occasions when the question DOES arise, I say, "well, the fact that I am barking mad probably has something to do with it."  Then the questioner goes away.

Cum catapultae proscriptis, erum tum solis proscriptae catapultae habebunt.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 02:04:20 am »

I read a description of steampunk design that I enjoyed on, of all places, the website of artisancakecompany.com

"Steampunk can really be a wide variety of things and it can be confusing if you are looking to design something steampunk related but just keep in mind this idea. “How would this look if I had no electricity and only machinery to make this and the only tools I have are sewing needles, rivets, metal, wood, cogs and leather… oh and we live in victorian times where there are air pirates and mad scientists” and you’ll probably be spot on."

I may memorize this one.
Choral
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 11:56:41 am »

“How would this look if I had no electricity and only machinery to make this and the only tools I have are sewing needles, rivets, metal, wood, cogs and leather… oh and we live in victorian times where there are air pirates and mad scientists”
I like that description too! Too bad nobody ever asks me about steampunk so I could educate them. But then again, I only wear steampunk outfits to fairs, I don't really walk around town in steampunk costumes. It's kind of an alter-ego for me.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 11:40:42 pm »

I had three naughty young-teenage boys shout something very rude at me when I had just got off a train in long skirt and feathered hat.  My answer was 'you dress the way you like and I will dress the way I like'.

I think I looked much smarter and more put together than they were.  Anyway, a complete stranger came up to me and said that she had seen what had happened and apologised on their behalf.  how nice.

It is just that some people cannot cope with the 'out-of-ordinary'. It is very sad for them.
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 09:27:08 am »

wow all are wonderful suggestions im quiet glad i asked this Smiley although i wish i can get more answers for a question of "why do you wear those goggles?"

[they would call my goggles,swim goggles/or glasses so i would replie, no their steampunk goggles and the questioner would look confuse...]

:/

(maybe i need buy more expensive model goggles or make my own someway...) but in such cases IF a person ask, why do you wear those goggles? [only goggles] or mistakenly call your goggles something else what would you say?

[btw 4-5 of the quotes you guys mentioned really helped a lot so i thank you so much for posting ]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:28:54 am by toxickun » Logged
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 06:48:26 pm »

toxic you can always answer "because goggles are cool"

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 01:40:08 am »

In case of spitting cobras.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
LizerSparkes
Zeppelin Captain

I's some crazy, b'y...

DrillBoysGirl
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 02:44:41 pm »

"Because I can."

"Because I'm a lady." (that one earned me fits of laughter from my close friends who know I'm probably one of the least lady-like in our group of friends)

"Because it holds up quite nicely during fluctuations of the time-space continueum."

"Because it's quite fashionable."

"PLC, and reach for the stars." - F. "Bucky" Laughlin
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2012, 12:49:07 am »

"Because I have a fabulous torch but it is a bit too bright"
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2012, 06:55:14 pm »

"Because I have a fabulous torch but it is a bit too bright"

Grin
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2012, 04:33:06 am »

In case of spitting cobras.
What sort of dastardly maniac spits cobras at you?

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2012, 07:59:41 pm »

Because it expresses a part of my personality that I cannot show in my workplace as the managing director of the company. (or whatever fancy title you can give yourself.)
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 08:51:04 pm »

"That all depends. What year is it?"

When they answer, say "Blast, the calibrations are off. You wouldn't happen to know where I can get- no, it hasn't been invented yet. Blast!"

Then wander off mumbling.
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2012, 09:23:52 pm »

..im just gonna go with (Because it expresses a part of my personality) to random people in college and as for my anime gathering ide say what aleister crow said. (seems fun to leave them clueless)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: