The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 05:58:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If someone asks 'Why do you wear that?', what do you reply?  (Read 24398 times)
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2016, 08:44:01 am »

Whatever you say, say it with splendid manners as befits the splendid people you are.

Bravo!  Well said, madam.  The only place for snark in our splendid steampunk world should be in our appreciation of the works of Mr. Dodgson.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2016, 09:52:00 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Whatever you say, say it with splendid manners as befits the splendid people you are.

Bravo!  Well said, madam.  The only place for snark in our splendid steampunk world should be in our appreciation of the works of Mr. Dodgson.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Hex and Colonel Hawthorne.
Once and once only I gave way to an impulse to be snarky and snubbing to a stranger's curiosity.

I'll regret that to the end of my days.
A gracious smile and bow of the head could have helped someone enter our world of creative splendour, but at the moment I didn't think outside my own concerns.

Anyway. Time for breakfast.
I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2016, 02:11:55 pm »

Once and once only I gave way to an impulse to be snarky and snubbing to a stranger's curiosity.

A gracious smile and bow of the head could have helped someone enter our world of creative splendour, but at the moment I didn't think outside my own concerns.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

This is a very good point. I was once asked by some teenage girls why I was wearing that coat. I replied with "Why, do you have a problem with it?" I will never forget the crestfallen look on their faces. It is so easy to misjudge a situation and a snarky remark can never be taken back.

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2016, 04:39:42 pm »

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

This is a very good point. I was once asked by some teenage girls why I was wearing that coat. I replied with "Why, do you have a problem with it?" I will never forget the crestfallen look on their faces. It is so easy to misjudge a situation and a snarky remark can never be taken back.

I once recieved the question "is that british?"
just that, no reference to anything. i was confused, i didn't know what to answer.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #204 on: June 01, 2016, 09:48:44 am »

A gracious smile and a half-bow or a tipping of your  hat, without breaking stride, is all you need to do, Caledonian.
If you're caught standing still, smile and ask
"Do you like it? It's all the rage in X. Please excuse me, I have an appointment in 1893 now"

Have fun!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #205 on: June 01, 2016, 10:05:30 am »

A gracious smile and a half-bow or a tipping of your  hat, without breaking stride, is all you need to do, Caledonian.
If you're caught standing still, smile and ask
"Do you like it? It's all the rage in X. Please excuse me, I have an appointment in 1893 now"

Have fun!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

I will remember that one for the next time.
(I was actually stuck standing in a very busy train)
Alanis Binx
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #206 on: June 04, 2016, 08:02:44 pm »

Wiffle Ball I do what i want Wink
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #207 on: June 06, 2016, 04:16:51 pm »

"Unfortunately they were all out of well sick kappa trackies at Sports Direct. My dear fellow.
So they unfortunately furnished me with this."

Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #208 on: June 11, 2016, 10:15:11 am »

I'm attending my cousins wedding next week, and if anyone asks about my attire I shall be able to say 'because the groom asked for steampunk and so steampunk I have provided'. I am very lucky to have a family that are so enthusiastic about my eccentricity!

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Whistling Bear
Deck Hand

Lt. Eagan D. Waynningdale

@wbillustrations
« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2016, 03:33:31 pm »

I have always enjoyed things like waistcoats, but only really get a chance to wear them on special occasions, earlier this year I started to be more confident in dressing how I want and began to dress a little more formal in my everyday life, not just for work. I wanted to wear braces/suspenders at one point and was worried what people might say, I wore them as part of a fancy dress costume and felt really comfortable in them. Now I wear them most days. I work as an illustrator and teacher, so I was kind of worried about the reaction from the kids but I hide behind the fact I'm an art teacher so I can be as quirky as I like. Now everyone is used to it and no one really asks or says anything.

Oh and if I every do get a little self conscious my wife reminds me to dress how I like and what makes me feel good, forgot other peoples negativity.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2016, 01:56:06 pm »

It's a sad reflection of todays society that to be dressed smartly means one must be going/doing something special.
Fortunately, in England at any rate, it is also perfectly acceptable to be a little eccentric in ones attire (and to use words like 'attire')
... of course I still have trouble explaining the goggles!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #211 on: July 28, 2016, 08:12:53 am »

Goggles are easy to explain - they keep the dust out of one's eyes when piloting the jolly old airship, don't you know.

Said with confidence, it leaves your interlocutor wondering which of you is the mad one.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:49:29 am by Colonel Hawthorne » Logged
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2016, 08:50:23 am »

Goggles are easy to explain - they keep the dust out of one's eyes when piloting the jolly old airship, don't you know.

Said with confidence, it leaves ypur interlocutor wondering which of you is the mad one.

Well played, Colonel, well played.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #213 on: July 28, 2016, 09:56:50 pm »

Said with confidence, it leaves ypur interlocutor wondering which of you is the mad one.

Thank you, kind sir for providing the perfect answer.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2016, 03:30:07 pm »

Because I make this.  Look good.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #215 on: December 30, 2016, 10:44:02 pm »

It's *insert day of week*

Throws then completely

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #216 on: January 03, 2017, 05:35:56 pm »

Throws then completely

Oblique, I'm a great fan of oblique. Nicely done!
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #217 on: January 04, 2017, 11:30:39 am »

Good morning,ladies and gentlemen

Throws then completely
Simply splendid!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #218 on: January 07, 2017, 03:10:23 am »

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Anita Reyes
Deck Hand
Mexico Mexico

« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2017, 11:51:29 pm »

I dont remember an specific about clothes but I wear a very large ring in  my septum (kinda like a bull) and often people asks why do i wear it? Or what is it? Often by kids and seniors  and i allways say "is an ornament it looks great isnt it?"with a huge smile of satisfaction on my lips and in all the cases i get a "no" for an  answer.
Anyway i love it  and if someone ever ask me for my corsettes it would be the same
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:39:06 am by Anita Reyes » Logged

"Guerra guerra en el monte en el valle, los cañones horrisonos truenen y sus ecos sonoros resuenen con las voces de unión, libertad!"
Tabitha Wilde-Steele
Swab

« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2017, 11:31:46 am »

I say... 'doh - 'cos it's 1891... why are you wearing that??!!  Roll Eyes

Tabitha Wilde-Steele

My Victorian Journey
Sir Theodore Catchpole
Snr. Officer

« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2017, 05:04:48 am »

This
edwardlynch1966
Swab

« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2017, 03:09:25 pm »

I'm new here but I've had people say that before. I say because I want to wear it and it's none of their business if they think otherwise. Why be boring?
Algernon Dalrymple Smythe
« Reply #223 on: April 10, 2017, 11:09:46 am »

Can I admit I have never had it happen........ok people usually cross the steet as I approach...but hey....

I like different - whether wearing my Saxon stuff, English Civil War...military steam punk...even the motorbike gear is grey/white camouflage

In the bike gear the other day - I did hear a very young child ask their parent in a local supermarket why are they (My better half and I ) dressed as soldiers

that made me smile
jaaceparker
Swab

« Reply #224 on: June 12, 2017, 12:49:53 pm »

Short and simple reply I like to wear.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: